• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hot Dog Styles

American style - toasted bun, grilled hot dog, light on the catsup & mustard with a bit of onion and relish on top.

Asian style - hot dog fried rice. I know that's cheesy but my mom would make that for me as a kid. Stir fry rice, minced onions, peas, carrots and hot dogs with some egg & top with scallions.

Honestly, if given a choice it would be mom's hot dog fried rice all the way. <3 mom's cooking.

• 2 weeks later...

They were good pictures, not crappy. I agree, a good beef hot dog needs nothing but mustard. That's how I have them almost all of the time. Exceptions: an occasional chili dog from a cart (Tony's Truck in Newark) and of course, an Italian Hot Dog. Toppings such as Texas Weiner chili and Rutt's Hut's delicious relish go better with a pork based dog.

Speaking of Italian Hot Dogs, Jimmy Buff's was mentioned in the Chicago Tribune recently.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/mag...0,3948571.story

John the hot dog guy

They were good pictures, not crappy. I agree, a good beef hot dog needs nothing but mustard. That's how I have them almost all of the time. Exceptions: an occasional chili dog from a cart (Tony's Truck in Newark) and of course, an Italian Hot Dog. Toppings such as Texas Weiner chili and Rutt's Hut's delicious relish go better with a pork based dog.

Speaking of Italian Hot Dogs, Jimmy Buff's was mentioned in the Chicago Tribune recently.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/mag...0,3948571.story

From the posted article...

Imagine cooking a hot dog, green peppers, red peppers, onions and potato wedges in a vat of hot oil. Then gutting out half a loaf of "pizza bread"--which I can only describe as a pita made from pizza dough--coating the shell's inside with mustard and filling it with (in this order) the hot dog, the onions and peppers and the potatoes.

Good Lord! :blink:

I would love to try one, just to say I did!

Edited by Norm357 (log)

Chicks dig wheelguns.

If you get to Rockport Mass. there's a place called Topdog that's near the end of the street that looks out over the ocean. They have a real good dog and a great array of toppings but the real great thing is that if your standing on the spot thats marked out in front of the counter where you order from and the boston Red Sox are playing and a home run is hit (by them) your whole order is free.

Asian style - hot dog fried rice.  I know that's cheesy but my mom would make that for me as a kid.  Stir fry rice, minced onions, peas, carrots and hot dogs with some egg & top with scallions.

One of my husband's favorite meals growing up was something his mother calls "sato joyu weenies"... hot dogs and brocolli cooked in a sweetened soy sauce mixture. I vaguely remember my mom doing the same thing a few times.

Cheryl

If you get to Rockport Mass. there's a place called Topdog that's near the end of the street that looks out over the ocean.  They have a real good dog and a great array of  toppings but the real great thing is that if your standing on the spot thats marked out in front of the counter where you order from and the boston Red Sox are playing and a home run is hit (by them) your whole order is free.

they make really good hot dogs over there, especially their chili dog and the one topped off with mac n cheese mmmmmmmm yummy. Unfortunately never went there when the sox are playing.

my favorite hot dog is one served on a buttered new england roll with spicy brown mustard and dill pickle spear wedged in between dog and bun.

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

• 2 years later...

Society member John T. Edge has a great piece in the NYT about Mexican hot dogs:

“THE problem with American hot dogs is that they’re American,” said Tania Murillo, standing beneath a pink and blue bunny-shaped piñata, as she rang up an order of tortillas at Alejandro’s Tortilla Factory.

“A ketchup-and-mustard hot dog is boring,” continued Ms. Murillo, a high school senior. “They’re not colorful enough. You’ve got to make them colorful, and pile on the stuff. The best hot dogs come from Sonora,” the Mexican state immediately to the south. “Everybody knows that.”

I couldn't agree more: the dogs at El Guero Canelo, which has a special place in my heart, are featured prominently in the article.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I have three favorite styles depending on availability and mood.

When I really want a treat I favor the bacon wrapped hot dog sold from a cart. My closest cart which serves only during the day, cooks the wrapped dogs on a griddle along with onions and serrano chilis. When you order she takes a regular hot dog bun and opens it face down on the griddle to warm up. It picks up a bit of the other flavors. I get it fully loaded with mustard, ketchup, mayo, chili and onion. Sometimes she has pickle relish and I like that too. If the bag of mixed fruit/veg (usually mango, cucumber and watermelon) looks fresh I will get one as well. It comes with the spicy, sour salt and rounds out the meal.

When the appetite is smaller or I am way too far from the cart, I favor the bun lightly toasted, dog steamed or warmed in hot water, along with mustard and lots of sweet pickle relish and chopped onion.

My occasional craving is the Wiener from the German deli which is very light so I am guessing veal, pork or a combo. Again steamed or heated in hot water. If I get it right I hit the sweet spot just before it bursts. Still tastes good after the explosion though. This is eaten virginally with only very hot imported mustard.

• 7 months later...

I just had a lovely specimen for lunch today...Falls View Grill NJ. I dont know the brand but I got so much on there it could have been anything above Oskar Meyer, I went with Chili, Raw Onions, Jalepenos, and Cheese.

I prefer them deep fried but often boil at home...chili and coleslaw is an awsome combo, but baked beans and potato chips work also

All Beef...Bests from Newark NJ or Sabrett/Nathan's if they are on sale

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I prefer them deep fried but often boil at home...chili and coleslaw is an awsome combo, but baked beans and potato chips work also.

tracey

I've never head or tasted that I know of a deep fried Hot Dog.

What's the difference is taste, Tracey ?

edited for grammar & spelling. I do it 95% of my posts so I'll state it here. :)

"I have never developed indigestion from eating my words."-- Winston Churchill

Talk doesn't cook rice. ~ Chinese Proverb

It appears as if the first hot dogs were sold (in the US, at least) in 1867, by a guy named Charles Feltman, a German butcher, from a stand in Coney Island. The rest, as they say, is history, and I blogged about one of my favorite dogs right here.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Yum! Processed meat product on white bread can be so satisfying. I like the $1.00 Ikea hot dogs, not because they're anywhere close to being the best hot dogs ever, but because they are $1.00, from Ikea, and a post-shopping treat. Ketchup, yellow mustard, and relish.

At home, they're usually panfried and dressed with any combination of sauerkraut, fried onions, dijon, shredded cheese, and ketchup.

edited for bad grammar.

Edited by Beebs (log)

I prefer them deep fried but often boil at home...chili and coleslaw is an awsome combo, but baked beans and potato chips work also.

tracey

I've never head or tasted that I know of a deep fried Hot Dog.

What's the difference is taste, Tracey ?

I'm not Tracey, but was raised in the same general area of the country. A deep fried hot dog, commonly known a 'Jersey ripper' has a snappy outer layer from the hot fat and a juicy succulent inside. Boiled dogs tend to get mushy, even if they're a nice beef dog in a real casing (hard to find anymore, at least here in Florida).A 'Jersey ripper' will frequently 'rip' open the casing when deep fried, hence the name. I like mine on a squishy white bun, lightly toasted on the grill, with relish and chopped onion. :wub:

Edited because I can't type!

Edited by judiu (log)

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

My current favorite is Boar's Head hot dogs - with the natural casing. Nathan's with the natural casing are also good but I can no longer find these locally. Soft white bun with Gulden's mustard (important point) between the top of the bun and the dog (not on top of the dog as it sits in the bun)

But I also long for proper Detroit Coney Island dogs.

Oh, where to start? There are many theories concerning the origin of the hot dog. Two excellent books that delve into this subject would be the Great American Hot Dog Book by Becky Mercuri and Hot Dog: A Global History by Bruce Kraig.

A frankfurter is the actual meat; the hot dog is the meat + the bun + what you put on it.

I enjoy hot dogs many ways; grilled, griddled, simmerred in water, deep fried, and a few combinations of these. I often simmer a hot dog in water before grilling. Jimmy Buff's sautees their footlong dog in oil before chargrilling. I make a lot of dogs at home and prepare them according to what I'm in the mood for.

There are 2 main styles of hot dogs. Eastern Jewish or kosher style all beef and German style pork/beef or pork/beef/veal. The all beef version is well seasoned with paprika and garlic; the German style contains little or no garlic and paprika. It has a more subtler spicing. Mace is used as a spicing in these dogs.

There are many quality brands. I do prefer a casing on my franks to a skinless frank. Great all beef dogs are Best's from N.J., Usinger's from Milwaukee, Sabrett from N.Y./N.J., Boars Head originally from New York, now produced in Florida, and Hatfield's deli style dogs. This last one is fairly new and a whole lot better than Hatfield's other franks which I consider mediocre. Hebrew National is good as is Nathan's and a slew of others. The Romanian Kosher Sausage Company in Chicago makes an excellent kosher hot dog.

For a German style frank, Thumann's griller is my absolute favorite. They also make a special dog for deep frying that is served at many North Jersey hot dog joints; most notably Rutt's Hut, Hiram's, and Libby's. Rooftop1000, Falls View also uses this dog, but it is blander as they request it from Thumann's without it being smoked like the other dogs. Other great commercial dogs in this style are Hartmann's from Canandaigua N.Y. (used by the popular Bark in Brooklyn), Sahlen's from Buffalo, Zweigle's from Rochester and Hofmann's from Syracuse.

There are great dogs produced by small butcher shops and pork stores in the area; specifically New Jersey. Kocher's in Ridgefield Park, D.A. Barsch in Toms River, and the Union Pork Store make franks every bit as good (and even better) than most of those listed previously.

To me a quality dog is made from whole cuts of beef or beef/pork/veal and either supplemented minimally by trimmings or not at all. They contain no fillers and when served at a hot dog establishment are hot, fresh, and prepared well. The focus should be on the actual frankfurter itself rather than the crap you put on it. The trend today seems to be the toppings rather than the frank. To me if you don't start with a quality dog, it doesn't matter what you do to it. No raspberry/wasabi/cream cheese dogs for me.

The Thumann's dog for deep fring has 2 extra ingredients that aid in frying. That's why a "ripper" puffs up and splits the way it does.

Without going into detail (I've covered this subject in detail before) I can tell you that the beef dogs at Papaya King, Gray's Papaya, and Katz's, as well as others, are the same recipe Sabrett natural casing dog despite what these places may tell you. I supplied Ed Levine with this information. It was confirmed to me by various sources including the person in charge of private label at Marathon Enterprises (Sabrett).

If you have the time and interest, I've reviewed 87 hot dog joints in New Jeresy. One trip was to New York where I visited Papaya King, Gray's Papaya, Nathan's, Katz's, and Crif Dogs. See here: http://thegourmetchilidog.com/vendors/nj/JohnFox_2006_01.html

John the hot dog guy

On the grill, charred just a little and very hot. Or better yet, stuck on the end of a stick and cooked over a campfire. On smooshy buns with just a little whole grain mustard.

Served with chips of various exotic, unnatural flavors, American beer, and marshmallows for dessert. If you are really lucky, some storebought potato salad and a bag of creme filled cookies.

sparrowgrass

There are truely not many ways I *don't* love a hot dog !!

The brands of choice for me are either Nathan's all beef, Hebrew National or Trader Joe's house brand, which I think is also all beef.

At home, I usually either grill them on the outdoor grill or on a grill pan, or broil them. Sometimes....rarely, but sometimes, I do steam them, or put them to warm in water that's boiled then pulled from the heat.

Favy toppings are:

chili/cheese/onions

'kraut/mustard/onions

mustard/relish/onions

Chicago style

and a blast from my childhood....ketchup (I know...), mustard, onions and a whisper of relish

On Monday, since its opening day for baseball season, I will probably have grilled Dodger Dogs (you can buy the dogs in the supermarkets here) with the mustard/relish/onions option and a cold beer. Maybe some peanuts in the shell for an amuse bouche !!!

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

• 1 month later...

Guilty confession: right now I am craving, craving a Costco hot dog, piled high with onions and mustard, and a smear of neon green relish on top.

Recently, in two separate novels, I've read a hot dog referred to as a "sandwich".

Is a hot dog a sandwich?

• 4 weeks later...

My current favorite is Boar's Head hot dogs - with the natural casing. Nathan's with the natural casing are also good but I can no longer find these locally. Soft white bun with Gulden's mustard (important point) between the top of the bun and the dog (not on top of the dog as it sits in the bun)

But I also long for proper Detroit Coney Island dogs.

Since posting this I've tried the Boar's Head Pork & Beef dogs. IMHO, the All Beef one are much better.

Also, to expand on the Detroit Coney's, the dog is a natural casing dog that's a little bland in and of itself. But the flavors come from the sauce which is a sort of greek inspired chili (a good amount of cumin, I think). This is topped with a line of yellow mustard and then some chopped yellow onions go on. This creates a layering of flavors that nears perfection.