• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fresh Garbanzo Beans (chick peas)

Eden

I just picked up a bunch of fresh garbazno beans at The Market this afternoon.

Having only ever cooked with dried or canned garbanzos I don't know what-all I can do with them (besides munching on them straight from the pod like they were popcorn :biggrin: )

I was thinking of just dressing them with lemon, oil and salt, but would love to hear other suggestions.

Thanks.

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

I think olive oil,lemon treatment would be fabulous. The first and only time I had fresh garbanzos was from a street vendor in Uruapan, Michoacan, Mexico.

They were simply steamed with a healthy dose of salt. Delicious street food.

What perfect timing!

This week's LA Times Food Section Digest (13 July 2005) has a link to an article on fresh garbanzo beans.

Hello, garbanzo, is that you? / by Barbara Hansen

Fresh and green, they're chickpeas, all right. And what a delight to finally meet them! Fresh garbanzo beans -- not edamame, not favas -- are a nice addition to a summery, light dish. And it doesn't need hours of soaking and boiling.

Includes five recipes: Garbanzo-mushroom masala; Pan-roasted fresh garbanzo beans; Steamed fresh garbanzo beans; Garbanzos rancheros; Tomato, fennel, fresh garbanzo and olive bread salad

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

• 10 years later...

I blanch them briefly in water that I have added salt and freshly ground cumin to. I then chill with ice water, and add to pasta salad. The cumin adds a little flavor, and the shape & color are attractive in the salad.

I also add them to various Indian dishes.