• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seattle caterers

My boss (at the UW) is in charge of setting up the department BBQ next month (I think) and she was soliciting ideas for catering. Can someone point me to some webpages for caterers in Seattle? (Yahoo wasn't much help).

She is mainly interested in BBQ, but other cuisines would be OK (they had Mexican last year).

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

My boss (at the UW) is in charge of setting up the department BBQ next month (I think) and she was soliciting ideas for catering.  Can someone point me to some webpages for caterers in Seattle? (Yahoo wasn't much help).

She is mainly interested in BBQ, but other cuisines would be OK (they had Mexican last year).

Oh .. if you want BBQ you might want to go directly to the BBQ source, vs. a general caterer. It's been a while since I did this, so I'll leave current recommendations to others, but there's lots of options. R&L, Jones' and Willie's Taste of Soul just got a write-up in the weekly; I can vouch for R&L and Willie's, though still have missed Jones' somehow. Most of the good BBQ joints cater, and even have portable smokers to bring on site. When you go this route, you get real BBQ, authentic sides, and an all-around experience.

That's my two cents anyway ... best of luck.

Weekly Link here: http://www.seattleweekly.com/features/0327/food-bbq.php

Richard W. Mockler

Seattle

I will, in fact, eat anything once.

Jones caters and has a wide selection of good sides and desserts to go along with the meat.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

OK, this is going to sound dumb, and I feel dumb for asking it, but this question is from my boss:

Does any BBQ place that caters, have entrees for vegetarians? (It sounds like an oxymorn to me).

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

You mean something like smoked tofu? :biggrin:

You can always ask, but I'm guessing there aren't any options since even beans and greens usually have pork in them...

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Has anyone had any dealings with any of the following caterers?:

Seasoned in Seattle Catering

The Wedge Catering

Flame Catering

Besides the usual BBQ joints, these all do BBQ events and have vegetarian options (just for background, I am helping organize a BBQ for returning Chemistry Faculty, Staff, & Grad Students, about 400 people, from all over the world. The last person who organized this forgot that about 20% of our visitors were vegetarian or wouldn't eat certain livestock).

I would call Mangetout Catering. You can PM me if you want their phone number and a contact name. They have have done parties that included whole roasted pigs, bbq pork & beef down to just plain grilling. They can handle vegetarians as well - in fact, they work with you to create your menu. I am partial to them as I worked for them many years ago and still stay in close contact. And I eat their food all the time. Their website needs some revamping so don't let that sway you! I really give them a strong 10!

Branks BBQ is pretty good,

13701 24TH St E Ste A2

Sumner, WA 98390-9676

(253) 891-1789

I've never even attempted to ask if they do vegetarian but it's worth a try!

Edited by dougery (log)

"Live every moment as if your hair were on fire" Zen Proverb

I know nobody knows about this place but Teddy Bears BBQ in Monroe caters. They have realllllly good stuff. They would probably come up with a vegetarian option. A real hole in the wall deal but they have won a lot of awards for their BBQ. They have a websight I believe but you will have to google it. I have the number 360-243-0699

I know this is late but...

Second on the Teddy Bear reco. I tried some of their stuff at a local competition a couple of years ago, and I'd give it thumbs-up. No idea about veggie options...

I know this is late but...

Second on the Teddy Bear reco.  I tried some of their stuff at a local competition a couple of years ago, and I'd give it thumbs-up.  No idea about veggie options...

I'll 3rd on Teddy Bear. They do have a vegetarian option and are very accomodating. Check the links on their site here.