• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

good restaurants in Sri Lanka

daemon

Hello,

I'll be in Sri Lanka next month, and even if this is not the purpose of my journey, I would have liked to have recommendations about good places there ( from the street small restaurant to luxious places)

If any one could help would be nice as I haven't found anything yet.

thanks

Let Eat Be

Food, Wine & other Delights

Hello,

I'll be in Sri Lanka next month, and even if this is not the purpose of my journey, I would have liked to have recommendations about good places there ( from the street small restaurant to luxious places)

thanks

I have been there for an year so can advice you something:

Sri lankan ethnic food is available in many places from street side eateries selling kottu rotis to big dining places like Raja Bojun (opp. Crescat on Galle road.). Try the food courts inside Crescat too. Dont forget to sample the Lamprais while in SL. Mind you SL food is not for the faint hearted. Big hotels will have a sri lankan restaurant. Try the local biriyani (called Buriyani)

Couple of Chinese and Japanese restaurants are there in Galle Road too and in Duplication road (some with karaoke bars). For the ultimate grill-steak visit the UBG at the Hilton Residence.

There is one pakistani joint serving delicious Karachi biryani near Hilton Residence.

When you feel to get back to the basics, try Mango Tree (near Slave island) for some fantastic desi food. The Indian food at the Taj is not as good.

Thats what i can remember. So have a nice journey and get back to the forum with the feedbacks

Hello,

thanks

I have been there for an year so can advice you something:

Sri lankan ethnic food is available in many places from street side eateries selling kottu rotis to big dining places like Raja Bojun (opp. Crescat on Galle road.). Try the food courts inside Crescat too. Dont forget to sample the Lamprais while in SL. Mind you SL food is not for the faint hearted. Big hotels will have a sri lankan restaurant. Try the local biriyani (called Buriyani)

Couple of Chinese and Japanese restaurants are there in Galle Road too and in Duplication road (some with karaoke bars). For the ultimate grill-steak visit the UBG at the Hilton Residence.

There is one pakistani joint serving delicious Karachi biryani near Hilton Residence.

When you feel to get back to the basics, try Mango Tree (near Slave island) for some fantastic desi food. The Indian food at the Taj is not as good.

Thats what i can remember. So have a nice journey and get back to the forum with the feedbacks

Do visit SEAFISH opposite Lake House for some good seafood. Another place called Prawnies off Galle road serve excellent sea food .Btw all places i described are in Colombo.

• 5 months later...
Hello,

thanks for the infos,

i'll keep and try & use them properly.

I'll give a feed back as I return next month

Hi there, I will be going to Sri Lanka for 10 days from next week. I would be very interested to hear about your dining experiences on your recent visit.

Rgds

Rick