• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Does overproof equal barrel proof?

mbanu

I stumbled across the interesting fact today that Bacardi 151 is 2 years old, the same as Bacardi Gold, and it occured to me that Bacardi 151 might be the "barrel proof" version of Bacardi Gold. This got the wheels turning, and so I thought I would ask you knowlegable folks.

Are aged overproof rums usually barrel proof? Or is it customary for rums to go into the barrel at even higher proofs than the 151 standard?

Most molasses-based rums are aged at about 80% alcohol by volume. I'm surprised that Bacardi claims their 151 to be aged two years but that rum was probably aged at an even higher proof.

I got my Bacardi age information from Rums of Puerto Rico, which seems to be a site produced by the Puerto Rican tourism department. I would assume it is accurate, but I didn't contact Bacardi directly, so it could be a misleading figure.

Two years isn't the number I have been given at the Bacardi plant near San Juan. Two years is age of most of the Cruzan rums so it would follow that Puerto Rico would jump on the two year wagon.

By Puerto Rican law, rums must be aged at least one year before being exported.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.