• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lux, Edmonton

koosh

I just saw a billboard on 9th for this rehash of Chance on 1st and asked around about it. All I was able to learn was that it was taken over by the son of the owner of the former Chance, and that are the only restaurant in the city serving kobe beef. Has anyone been in yet? I am curious to know if they redid the interior and/or changed the layout etc. Also curious as to the orientation of the menu as there is a plethora of high end steakhouses in Edmonton, even within a few blocks.

Time spent eating is time spent with the gods

Koosh:

Have not been as of yet but may drop in one evening after work to have a "look see".

It may have been the Journal or perhaps one of the community papers that did a generally favourable review of it last week. Seem to recollect a comment that the kobe beef burger's tasted was overwhelmed by the chipotle mayo.

I never did "get" Chance. It opened with much fanfare, limousine, white glove service, etc. etc. A lot of attitude IMHO but did not deliver the goods. Seemed to be a "revolving door" vis-a-vis chefs.

As far as I know the LaChance family purchased it and Century Grill on the southside with "dad's dough" and the brothers, apparently with some experience in the nite club industry, ran them. How well? Depends upon who you ask.

Ryan Smyth of the Oilers was an investor. I expect but do not know, that he still is. If that is the case, I am not surprised about the conversion to a "high end" steakhouse. Sort of fits into that hockey player dining circuit one associates with the NHL [if they ever get back to playing] like the Chop House in Calgary or Gotham's in Vancouver.

It may work because I personally do not think that this city has a decent steakhouse.

You mentioned a "plethora" of steakhouses in the area. Which ones?

Apart from Hy's [which really needs a refit], what others?

River City Chophouse is now a drug store, the Carvery is long gone and the Sawmill is quite a distance from the downtown core hotels with their travelling businessmen and sports figures which I suspect is its "target" audience.

I expect Ric's Grill would be their closest competition but suspect that they are targeting a higher end market.

I heard that Paul Greene [ex of Dante's, Madison's Grill] is the new chef. He knows "his stuff".

You mentioned Kobe beef. Are they serving steaks or just their high-end burger using Kobe?

A few spots in town have used Wagyu beef from a farm in Alberta or imported from Snake River, Idaho. Sonny Song at Sorrentino's did a superb carpaccio with it some time ago.

I just saw a billboard on 9th for this rehash of Chance on 1st and asked around about it.  All I was able to learn was that it was taken over by the son of the owner of the former Chance, and that are the only restaurant in the city serving kobe beef.  Has anyone been in yet?  I am curious to know if they redid the interior and/or changed the layout etc.  Also curious as to the orientation of the menu as there is a plethora of high end steakhouses in Edmonton, even within a few blocks.

Do you know what cut/s of Kobe beef they are using in their burgers?

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

I also was surprised at the stagnant level Chance remained at for so long. I think they could have capitalized the market for the high-metro sort of diner if they had done something differently. I had never eaten there myself but maybe the rapid chef turnover rate contributed.

I can not offer any more info on the beef unfortunately. I just searched and found an article from the Edmonton Sun mentioning the burger and chipotle mayo. Unfortunately the Sun is not necessarily a source of exceptional journalism. The article mentions that the suggested temperature is medium-rare, but they wouldn't do so for a burger, so I imagine they either have kobe steaks as well, or the writer thought it fit to include some extra-curricular research in her review.

As for the competition, maybe I was inaccurate in my statement as you have mentioned most places I would have considered. I would place Lux and Hardware in the most direct competition. For Grills: Hy's, the two Ric's Grills, Jack's, Century, Von's, the newly opened Glenora Grill. Then there are the other restaurants at the similar price point that focus their sales on steaks: Characters, Cafe Select (now with two locations, though I've head the Turtle Creek opening has been lackluster), etc.

Maybe it's simply the ratio that overwhlems me, or the fact that the menu always seems identical across the board. I'm currently the sous at the Ric's Grill downtown and am proud of the Sterling Silver beef we prepare, as well as our service staff, some of whom are formers of the Chop House.

Do you have any leads on high grade import beef in town presently? I'd love to try a kobe steak or wagyu.

Do you know what cut/s of Kobe beef they are using in their burgers?

Jamie, I do not know that answer but expect that it would ordinarily be the trimmings. However, nothing else on the menu suggests the use of "Kobe" beef which begs the question, trimmings of what or hamburger of what?

koosh:

Thanks for the suggestion. I had lunch at Lux today.

Overall, pretty good. Will it replace my normal "haunts" downtown, i.e. Sorrentino's, Hardware, 4 Rooms, on a sunny Friday the patio at the Mac? No.

I initially was seated in the main dining area. For those who have not been to Lux or its predecessor Chance, the room is shaped like a keyhole with a long bar leading from its door off the ManuLife/Commerce Court comlex to the round/rectangular dining room off 101 Street.

I hate booths and banquettes [except for the one at Cru which I found much to my amazement to be comfortable] but unfortunately that was where I was sat. I ended up moving back to the bar.

The room itself is very attractive. Somewhat "warmer" than I remember Chance. More chocolates and beige. New wall hangings. New backs to the booths which run parallel to the large, long "New York" bar in the lounge.

Menus are good. Varying from fish [halibut, salmon, tuna] to steaks. Prices varying from about $8 to approximately $15 for the beef carpaccio. Steaks ranged from the steak sandwich which was about $16 up $30 plus for other cuts. At nite the steaks went from about $25 for a 6 or 8 oz filet up to about $45 for a bone-in NY strip [proviso: going strictly from memory so may be off].

I am assuming that the steaks come with your choice of several "demi's". Same for the sides of wasabi mashed potatoes, "uptown" poutine and the like.

A mix of salads and sandwiches for the lunch-time munchers.

Paul Greene is not the executive chef but rather, the general manager.

I am not sure that the menu has changed all that much from the time it was Chance.

I ended up deciding on the halibut. [$19]

Yes, yes I know, why the heck did I order fish in a steakhouse? After a week of great seafood in Tofino and Victoria I have been "overdosing" on Alta. beef at home. It was not bad. A tad overcooked. However the green pea risotto upon which it was served along with orange foam [Feran Adria has had his influence upon Alberta as well] was tasy. Better still were the excellent veggies, a combination of "candy-cane" beets, crisp yellow beans, pea pods and asparagus.

Wine list is pretty good. Some decent buys in the Australian area if you are thinking of "trophy wines" like RWT, Bin 707 and the like. The "by-the-glass" options are relatively limited but decent nevertheless. Expect the bar is more interested in the "martooni crowd" than wine drinkers.

Better than average. Their competition will be Sorrentino's, Madison's Grill, The Harvest Room and Hardware Grill.

Hope you are doing well at Ric's. Have only been there the one time. Your tuna appetizer was quite good. Say hello to Bob Parsons for me.

Edited by merlin (log)

Paul Schufelt, who was the executive chef at Chance, has remained in the newly-revamped restaurant in the same capacity.

What I've heard through the grapevine is that Chance did well from the lunchtime office-tower crowd, but wasn't able to attract an after hours clientele. A downtown steakhouse is probably not a bad venture, given the lack of immediate competition pointed out upthread. We'll see how it pans out.

I see Chef Schufelt from time to time at Commerce Place, so I'll sound him out about how things are going.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Thanks for the info merlin. The risotto does sound quite good. I'll pass on to Bob the hello via egullet.