• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

AYCE Hard Shell Crabs

jmbrightman

I love going out for hardshells. everyone sharing in the cleaning, the picking, the eating, it is participatory dining at its best. My local taproom, Philadium at 16th and Packer, has ayce crabs every Tuesday now through Labor Day for $15pp. Any other Philly spots offering similar deals?

i'm so there.

try this - a couple hours at Philadium with friends (ayce Tues 7PM-1AM) enjoying trays of crabs, then walk across the street to Chickie's and Pete's to fill up on crab fries, wings, and mussels in the crab juice. if you don't feel like leaving Philadium, try their cheesesteak or fried sampler.

i'm so there.

try this - a couple hours at Philadium with friends (ayce Tues 7PM-1AM) enjoying trays of crabs, then walk across the street to Chickie's and Pete's to fill up on crab fries, wings, and mussels in the crab juice. if you don't feel like leaving Philadium, try their cheesesteak or fried sampler.

wait, a couple hours eating crabs and then you need to head somewhere to fill up?

you're a better eater than i am, jmbrightman.

wait, a couple hours eating crabs and then you need to head somewhere to fill up?

I've often found eating crabs to be a calorie-losing proposition, exercise really. Delicious exercise, sure, but every bit as good as a jog around the park. At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

I've often found eating crabs to be a calorie-losing proposition, exercise really. Delicious exercise, sure, but every bit as good as a jog around the park. At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I am willing to publicly admit that I am a friend of jmbrightman and had the pleasure of joining him and his friends last summer on an annual philadium crab-fest. I thought they were completely crazy to suggest beforehand that we would go to C&P to "fill up". But, after 2-3 hours of eating crabs, I was HUNGRY! (and I am not a big eater).

For $40 it ended up being a 4-hour all you can eat and drink at two separate locales...

Edited by phungi (log)

I belch, therefore, I ate...

I guess I'm spoiled from having grown up living on the eastern shore of Md. where we would go to rock Hall and fill up on jumbo steamed crabs (4 to 4 1/2 doz. per bushel). We're talking big crabs. I've tried some local places down here at the Jersey shore and I don't have the patience to pick thru piles of small crabs, I just as soon get 4 or 5 soft shells and woof them down with 50 or so steamers. I never realized how spoiled I was.

hmm. yes, i see where you're going with this.

maybe that explains my ridiculous hangovers i get sometimes when doing AYCE crabs. i'm drinking like i'm eating a big meal, but in truth i'm not eating all that much at all.

edited to say, what do i mean 'maybe?' of course that's why, and i know it.

Edited by mrbigjas (log)

I guess I'm spoiled from having grown up living on the eastern shore of Md. where we would go to rock Hall and fill up on jumbo steamed crabs (4 to 4 1/2 doz. per bushel). We're talking big crabs. I've tried some local places down here at the Jersey shore and I don't have the patience to pick thru piles of small crabs, I just as soon get 4 or 5 soft shells and woof them down with 50 or so steamers. I never realized how spoiled I was.

you are ridiculously spoiled