• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Camping, Princess Style

Marlene

The Salton Sea Pelican Days Festival (3rd annual) was this weekend. I had hoped to be able to report on an actual tour of the Oasis Date Gardens, which we weren't able to get on our own last week. I'd also hoped for a covered-wagon tour (drawn by mules) of a nature preserve to the north, with information about how the Cahuilla lived off the land back in the day. I know they caught fish on this sea; they used mesquite; they used dates from the native fan palms. Those dates are much smaller and less fleshy than the commercial dates we know and love. The wagon tour ended with a barbecue. I couldn't get a booking on either of those trips. I did enjoy a wine and cheese meeting one evening!

Yesterday's dinner was one of those things that belongs in the Journal of Irreproducible Results. Do you ever just throw something together and then wish you knew what you'd done? Last night's dinner was one of those, populated by things cluttering the refrigerator and counters. Onion, Japanese eggplant, broccoli, hot Italian sausage, the remainder of some citrus sauce and chicken juice from citrus roasted chicken, all over a pilaf. We agreed that the Italian sausage clashed slightly with the citrusy notes of the rest of the dish, but that it was well worth doing again. If only I could remember how. My notes consist of a simple listing, with my best guesses as to quantity.

*(Screen goes all wavy)*

Irreproducible dinner.jpg

Let the wobbly photo suggest nostalgia for a meal, rather than camera issues.

Salton Sea Sunset Jan 24.jpg

I think it prefers sunsets.

Today was, of all things in this desert, a rainy day. It was a great day to defrost the refrigerator and freezer, which desperately needed it, while ribs cooked in the oven. If we can move out of the slime tomorrow, we'll be traveling. I hate to leave this water, but it's time to go.

• Like 6

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

We drove south and east from the Salton Sea, passing more dates, acres of row crops (many of this country's winter vegetables come from this area), feed lots and, of course, towns, and eventually drove back up above sea level.  If "the big one" hit (the San Andreas fault runs through here) and re-opened this valley to the sea, as it once was, there would be hundreds of square miles flooded.  

We've moved on into the desert, far from water except when it rains. It had rained while we were at the Salton Sea (and a slimy mess it was, getting out) but judging by the puddles yesterday there was more water here. I wish, sometimes, that the internet had ways to convey aromas.  The smell of the desert after a rain is sweet, and I look forward to seeing flowers bloom here soon.

One of the reasons we'd been looking forward to getting here was to cook over a campfire, and that was yesterday's plan when I set out to fix dinner.  

Fajitas fixings.jpg

The plan was campfire fajitas.  There was a lot of washing, chopping and seasoning to do before I arrived at this:

Fajitas fixings sans meat.jpg

Fajitas meat seasoned closeup.jpg

Maybe it's just as well we decided it was too cool to sit out by the campfire and cook.  The plan was to cook each vegetable separately and add to a plate to keep warm, while the meat was sizzling.  At this time of year it also has to be done by the light of the campfire and the Coleman lantern, because the days are still so short.  (I know, it's much warmer and the days are longer than in northern Minnesota and points north of there!  But that's why we're here. :raz: ) In retrospect, knowing that I used every scrap of counter space and oven, I'm not sure how I'd have made it work without things cooling off too much.

Fajitas meat cooking closeup.jpg

Fajitas meat cooked cut.jpg

Fajitas fixings cooked 1.jpg

There were also greens to spin and whirr with garlic and oil to make a sauce:

Swiss Whizz pesto 1.jpg

Dinner was late.  I'd considered inviting our quarter-mile-away neighbor to dinner before he cleared out.  It's a good thing I didn't, or he'd have had to stay over for the night!  :laugh:

Fajitas served.jpg

Fajitas fixings cooked 1.jpg

Fajitas fixings sans meat.jpg

Fajitas fixings.jpg

Fajitas meat seasoned closeup.jpg

Fajitas meat cooked cut.jpg

Fajitas meat cooking closeup.jpg

Fajitas served.jpg

Swiss Whizz pesto 1.jpg

• Like 8

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Ha.  There was just enough leftover filling for one person's lunch today.

Fajitas lunch start.jpg

Fajitas lunch with tortilla cooking folded smaller.jpg

Cook's privilege!

Fajitas lunch served adjusted.jpg

Edit:  the sour cream froze overnight. :angry:  I forgot to adjust the refrigerator's temperature setting after defrosting it.

Fajitas lunch served adjusted.jpg

Fajitas lunch start.jpg

Fajitas lunch with tortilla cooking folded smaller.jpg

• Like 6

I'll post later about this hard-to-find item.  We stock up when we do find it.  For now, here's a photo of two boxes that came out of our stores....

Greenland feta 2 sides.jpg

and another that seems to have been retrieved just. in.  time.  

Greenland feta not going to open this one.jpg

It's in the trash, unopened.  I'm glad it didn't explode.

• Like 2

While much of the country is experiencing blizzards and severe cold, we've been enjoying sunshine - and, finally, evenings warm enough to cook over a campfire.

After a few fits and starts, we've got the setup tuned: a campfire ring big enough for a healthy fire, small enough to support a cooking grate.  We forgot to pack our usual grate for this trip.  However, since we had to scrap our oven/stove at the beginning of the year, we kept its stovetop grate and oven rack.  The stovetop grate is perfect for our purposes.  The oven rack is too big to fit in our new oven!   :angry:

Campfire cooking setup.jpg

The fire ring has a break in front for adding wood as needed.

Our usual view while we're cooking:

Campfire pot halo 1.jpg

Campfire cooking with wood access.jpg 

Using the flash illuminates a little of the pot's contents:

Campfire hash flashed.jpg

We're still working out how much oil, how hot a fire, how frequently to turn potatoes or fish to get them just right.  One of us is pleased with the results because There Is No Such Thing As Bad Fried Food.  The other is more put out when it isn't gotten right, but grateful that the smell and spatter stay outside.    :raz:

A few of our campfire meals:

Campfire fish and potatoes.jpg

Campfire hash dinner.jpg

There's also a grill basket that can be used to hold burgers or, a couple of nights ago, chicken thighs.

Campfire chicken.jpg

We're still using the stove and oven inside, for baking bread and cooking vegetables:

Brussels sprouts glazed.jpgTurmeric cauliflower.jpg

We have a camp stove and will probably break it out before too long for the stovetop items.  I suspect the vegetables could also be done over the campfire, but wish to get one technique "dialed in" at a time.

Two nights ago we were treated to this:

Moonrise over the butte closeup.jpg

Moonrise 2 closeup.jpg

Moonrise 3 closeup.jpg

...and, turning around, we had this:

Moonrise sunset 2.jpg

• Like 12

Last night featured a glorious howlelujah chorus, if you will: the coyotes greeted the moon (and perhaps, later, my music) with yips and singing.  They couldn't have been more than half a mile away.  We spent part of the day trying to find their hangout, to no avail, although our nearest trailer neighbors are convinced they were close by.  Afterward, we trekked to town to replenish on water, propane and groceries.  Our preferred grocery store in Yuma carries excellent local produce as well as the more standard remote stuff.  Once again my optimism overcame my good sense, and we came home with more food than we should have.

The result?  Campfire grilled chicken-and-vegetable salad.  My darling is fond of one-pot meals.  I can point to tonight's wreckage and note, with pride, that this is a one-pot meal...even though it involved 10 prep containers.  

Campfire grilled chicken salad over the fire.jpg

Campfire grilled salad served.jpg

If anyone's interested, here's a photo of our staging table:

Campfire tailgate prep table 1.jpg

No howlelujah chorus tonight, but the stars were bright until the moon rose and the fire was lit; after that, the night was still delicious.

• Like 9

If only the howlelujah chorus was a sign that I was glamour camping! It only tells me that my townhouse complex where I can barely see the sun never mind the moon is very close to a Provincial Park. And a campfire would be quickly extinguished by the local fire department with a very large bill to follow. I am not complaining just noting that coyotes have become urbanized. But given the current temperatures I am perfectly happy to do my cooking indoors!

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

.... But given the current temperatures I am perfectly happy to do my cooking indoors!

In our younger and more energetic days, my friends and I set aside one long weekend in January or February for a winter camping expedition into the back woods of northeastern Minnesota.  We'd use my house as a base camp from which to launch - up to 18 people in the group - and some would have come earlier in the week so we could get in some river skiing.  Come launch day, we'd drive about 2 hours to the parking area, then ski or snowshoe 3 miles or so into our intended camping area.  The culinary experimentation in camp was marvelous, but the most memorable weekend was the year that we first had heard of deep-frying a turkey.  One person skiied in towing a sled with a turkey fryer, 5 gallons of oil and a turkey - seasoned and trussed in chicken wire at my house. (His buddy carried their camping gear.) The next night, after a good long day of cross-country skiing up one hill and down another, the fryer and oil were set up at a respectable distance from the bonfire, and the cooking began.

That meal stands out as one of the best of my life.  The turkey was moist on the inside - all of it - no dried-out breast meat - and crackly on the outside.  No doubt the exercise, fresh air and extreme cold contributed to our appreciation.  When all was done - and there were no leftovers - the oil heated our bonfire with an impressive flame that helped us all go to bed warm.

Those are happy memories, but I'm just as glad now to be doing my outdoor cooking when the temperature is above zero (C and F).

• Like 5

It's too darned hot to cook inside the trailer now, and the camp stove has been set up.  Last night it was a "must-go" stir fry of shrimp, brussels sprouts, broccoli and peppers over rice. Bacon ends and pieces provided much of the fat.  The sauce was a bottled "Classic Stir Fry Sauce" from Stonewall Kitchens.  (I've used up another item from the pantry!   :biggrin: )  I know it isn't difficult to make stir fry sauce, but sometimes I'm so busy fumbling around that the sauce takes as much time as the stir fry itself.  I've kept the ingredient list so I'll have something to try to replicate.

Camp stove stir-fry setup.jpgCamp stove stir-fry.jpgCamp stove stir-fry in progress.jpgCamp stove stir-fry finished on stove 1.jpgCampstove stir-fry served.jpg

• Like 5

my parents had a two burner model 'late' in the Camping carrer

'purchased' w Blue Chip Stamps.  that dates it !

first pulling a small trailer for the summer to AZ

then no trailer but a tent.  also a colman lantern w those gossamer lantern mantels that were impossible to put on.

still have that one.

" is it ready yet ?  its getting dark .... "

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

My parents began our camping career with a two-burner model. I don't remember whether they upgraded to a 3-burner model because the old one was stolen, or they decided they needed a bigger one, but the above-pictured Coleman stove is that one. My sister took it when our parents began downsizing, and later gave it to me. I highly recommend that you fish that stove out, gfweb. Ours has done yeoman's duty, not only on camping trips but when our kitchen was being remodeled.

Neither my sister nor I took the old Coleman lantern when our parents downsized. I rather regret that decision now. At the time, she didn't think she needed it and my darling didn't want to mess with those mantles. We suffered along with a rechargeable electric version for several years, until I finally decided I'd had enough of impossibly dim light. Our new lantern is a Coleman propane-fired two-mantle lantern. It puts out plenty of light and seems only to sip at fuel: we're still on the original 1-lb propane bottle after 2 years. I'm happy to report, rotuts, that Coleman now makes easy-on mantles with clips to maneuver them in place instead of those little string ties. This new version has a slight hiss - reminiscent of the long-gone original, but not so loud. I remember during my teen years staying up far late into the night after others had gone to bed, reading to that hissing and fizzing.

The wind came up in the night and promises to be blowing for several days. Looks like I'll be cooking inside tonight.

• Like 1

My parents began our camping career with a two-burner model.

I remember the 2-burner white gas Coleman that was in my earlier memories of camping. Then my parents moved up to travel trailers or campers and never cooked outside again. 30-odd years ago My DW and I picked up a 3-burner Coleman with an aluminum body and the propane bottle adapter. When I posted pictures of my patio kitchen last summer this picture of that stove was part of the posting:

20140728_110321.jpg

Our new lantern is a propane-fired two-mantle lantern.

We have not camped in over a decade but the lantern went on top of the distribution tree on the propane tank. The tank and tree are at the left side of the picture above. I inspired to go acquire some of the clip-on mantles since this stuff is part of our earthquake-preparedness equipment.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I mentioned earlier that our breakfast is usually the same every day.  I've been doing a slight change-up lately:

Breakfast - changing it up.jpg

Over on the eG Cook-off: Citrus Fruits topic I described making citrus gelatin and using it to help preserve fruit salad.  It works for me, but my darling insists on keeping some fruit salad out of the mix for his breakfast.  His cereal bounces otherwise.   :laugh:

• Like 3

"The Poop Never Lies"

is the subtitle ?

I used to look for Gila Monster Poop back in my earliest camping days.

but only after lunch.

PB&J it was I think.

remember those little Guide Books  from the '50s and '60's

" a golden nature guide "

Simon and Schuster

http://www.librarything.com/series/Golden+Nature+Guides

they should have been ahead of their game and had some books like 

" What's for Lunch "

and " Whats for Lunch in the Dessert "

etc

• Like 3

Another venerable piece of camping gear that I inherited is Papa's Pan.

Papa's Pan Closed.jpg

Papa's Pan hung in my grandparents' kitchen for decades, and I grew up hearing it called an omelet pan although I don't recall seeing it put to use.  My father inherited it, and only later did I learn that it had been part of his family's camping gear - both when he was a child and the family camped together, and later when he and his father ("Papa" to me) camped on hunting or fishing trips. Fish, potatoes, eggs all were cooked in that pan over a fire if they didn't have a stove along, and I now put it to the same use.  Instead of continuing to call it "Nana's omelet pan", I dubbed it "Papa's Pan".  Dad enjoyed knowing that it was back in action for a third generation.

Last night was my first attempt at something along the lines of Potatoes Anna over a campfire in Papa's Pan.  The idea was to get a good browned crust on one side, flip the pan and get a good browned crust on the other.

Potatoes Papa ingredients.jpg

Potatoes Papa in assembly.jpg

Potatoes Papa assembled.jpg

Along with Potatoes Papa (should I call them Papas Papa?) were brussels sprouts in the skillet and - not shown over the fire - two salmon fillets in the grill basket.  The salmon had been brushed with a sauce I made of boiled-down minneola juice, honey, and butter; the brushed salmon was seasoned with mesquite flour and a touch of white pepper.  The remaining sauce was reserved for serving.

Papa's Pan over campfire closeup.jpg

Results: the Papas Papa didn't hold together properly, perhaps because I had 2 layers of potatoes, perhaps because I had the wrong ratio of cream and butter to potatoes, perhaps because I flipped it too soon.  The flavor was excellent, however, and this was the perfect serving for 2 people.  The fish was tasty - I'll do that sauce again as long as I still have citrus - but overdone by too much time over the fire.  I was sorry to dry out some of that lovely salmon given to us from our friends' Alaskan fishing trip.  

Potatoes Papa salmon brussels sprouts served.jpg

Potatoes Papa salmon brussels sprouts plate closeup.jpg

Back to Papa's Pan for one more story:  Dad told me that after one particular fishing and camping trip that he and his father had been on, they arrived back home.  Nana promptly took over the cooking gear and, thinking she was doing them a favor, cleaned it all.  She proudly showed Papa the newly-cleaned pan:  "Look!" she said, "It's good as new!"  Papa was furious: all that time building up a good coat of soot, and she'd ruined it!  :laugh:

• Like 8

Some fine lunchtime reading about animal poop you have there.

:wink:

<snip>

I used to look for Gila Monster Poop back in my earliest camping days.

but only after lunch.

PB&J it was I think.

remember those little Guide Books  from the '50s and '60's

" a golden nature guide "

Simon and Schuster

http://www.librarything.com/series/Golden+Nature+Guides

they should have been ahead of their game and had some books like 

" What's for Lunch "

and " Whats for Lunch in the Dessert "

etc

There's a watering hole within a mile of here, and we have a running discussion about whether the tracks we're seeing are from deer or javelina.  Both are around in scarce numbers, but in the soft sand it can be difficult to distinguish their tracks.  Since neither of us has the patience to sit for hours or days and watch the spot, we'll probably have to agree to disagree.

I remember those Golden Nature guides; in fact, my first bird book - still in use at home - is a Golden Guide.  

• Like 1

I did actually find a Gila monster once

after lunch of course

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=A0LEVvXNZNpU0w0AD0UnnIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTBsa3ZzMnBvBHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkAw--?_adv_prop=image&fr=yhs-mozilla-001&va=gila+monster&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-001

fortunately for me, (s)he had more important things to do than talk to me.

maybe look for some Gila's ?

:huh:

• Like 1

Oh yes,, love those things  I still have:

1.  Seashells of the Woprld

2.  Weeds

3. North American Indian Arts

4.  Spiders and their Kin

5.  Insect Pests

6.  Stars

7   Insects

8.  Pond Life

Got them back in our camping days with two little girls.  Made the experience much more fun.

Those along with my trusty cookbook. America Cooks  The General Federation of Women's Clubs Cookbook lived in the camper.

If I came across a new-to-me ingredilent while on the road, the book would tell me what to do with it.  As a librarian, I have used my book mending skills many times on my 1967 edition.

• Like 2