Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Marlene

Camping, Princess Style

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Thank you for taking us along on your trip.  How many miles do you travel?

 

I'm glad you enjoyed it. We wrote down the finishing mileage but haven't looked yet at the start mileage. I'll edit this post when I get the number. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you as usual....I want to be you when I grow up(or John decides to not travel around the world).

We have talked for years about roadtripping to Detroit then Duluth then down to Corpus Christi for the fall raptor migration; we have done half of The Lincoln Highway; I want to finish it and do Route 66 with some birding in SE Arizona...…..we have talked about renting one.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We had a cab-over camper when our girls were small.  We would take off for a month every summer. It was by no means relaxed with kids and a cat but we saw a lot of country.  Sadly few things really stick out in the kids' memories now.  Never took near enough photos but thankful for the ones we did.  I think they remember New Orleans the most and seeing snow for the first time in Northern California.  And Yellowstone because it smelledl "like rotten eggs"..Oh well,  you can't choose your memories can you?  

 

Love seeing  your version.  A fancy pants meal for me back then might have been Hamburger Helper and Jiffy-Pop.  Thanks for hauling us along and I hope Spring gets there soon.  We had the first hummingbird yesterday as well as three orioles and a Rose-breasted grosbeak.  There's hope

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome home. I always enjoy the trip, never more so than when you're coming through Arkansas and we get to visit!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/2/2019 at 10:51 AM, ElsieD said:

Thank you for taking us along on your trip.  How many miles do you travel?

 

On 5/2/2019 at 10:57 AM, Smithy said:

 

I'm glad you enjoyed it. We wrote down the finishing mileage but haven't looked yet at the start mileage. I'll edit this post when I get the number. 

 

Since it's been a few days, I think it makes more sense to write another post instead of editing my original response. Our final total for this trip was 9,390.8 miles. Not all of that was pulling the trailer; when we're parked someplace for a while, we still need the truck to run errands without pulling the Princessmobile.

 

Up until a few years ago, we drove home (without the Princessmobile) for a month in the winter. That added an extra 5,000 miles, roughly. We've discussed renting a vehicle to make the trek, in the event we do so again, but once again it was not a factor this winter.

 

Thanks again for the comments and questions, everyone! It's been fun sharing our trip with you.

 

(...and yes, @Shelby, I'm still luxuriating in the space of our house!)

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is one heck of a lot of miles.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just catching up now and have to say thanks @Smithy for your warts and all peek into road tripping. I picked up lots of ideas. We hope to do some of the same next year, albeit in Australia, and extra albeit towing an off-road caravan. 

Hope you enjoy spring when it arrives :)

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/4/2019 at 6:56 PM, Smithy said:

The idea, of course, had been to see what was on the factory-seconds shelf since we wouldn't be there for the First Saturday factory-seconds sale.

@Smithy   I made it to the Saturday sale!  I thought getting there at opening bell was the smartest thing, however, it was already mobbed because people get there at 0:dark:thirty to wait in line to get the best selections.   It was quite organized for chaos though.  I needed bowls so I was looking more for shapes instead of design.  I found these almost raku-like bowls that are great sizes and I love the colors.  I don't even know the patterns name.   I think I spent `$70 for 10 pieces.  (water bottle for scale)

IMG_7974.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

@Smithy   I made it to the Saturday sale!  I thought getting there at opening bell was the smartest thing, however, it was already mobbed because people get there at 0:dark:thirty to wait in line to get the best selections.   It was quite organized for chaos though.  I needed bowls so I was looking more for shapes instead of design.  I found these almost raku-like bowls that are great sizes and I love the colors.  I don't even know the patterns name.   I think I spent `$70 for 10 pieces.  (water bottle for scale)

IMG_7974.jpg

 

Wow, congratulations! Those bowls look great, and the price is wonderful. I don't recall even seeing them in the shop. I'd love to see a side view if you're so inclined.

 

Please tell more about it being "organized for chaos". What happens when the doors finally open? Is it a mob scene as reported for Black Friday post-Thanksgiving sales in shopping malls and Walmart, or are people more polite? Was there time to browse and go back to something you'd seen earlier, or did you have to grab fast?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Smithy said:

Please tell more about it being "organized for chaos". What happens when the doors finally open? Is it a mob scene as reported for Black Friday post-Thanksgiving sales in shopping malls and Walmart, or are people more polite? Was there time to browse and go back to something you'd seen earlier, or did you have to grab fast?

 

The doors were open once we got there.  Looked like an orderly line to get in and then shoppers disperse to about 20 separate shelf units to browse.  It was very civilized as far as no grabfest,  just wander and examine.  Some bring a folding cart or wagon to put their items in.  Otherwise you carry your items, no shopping carts provided.  There were two separate check-outs, cash and credit, cash was the shorter line and my choice.  HF Coors provides boxes and wrapping paper.  I think we were there no longer than 30min total.   I bet there were 100 people in the factory area shopping and there was plenty of elbow room.

 

It may be busier in the winter months.  May is when things slow down as far as winter visitors to Tucson.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Smithy said:

I'd love to see a side view if you're so inclined.

 

The bottoms are unglazed. 

IMG_7975.jpg

IMG_7976.jpg

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×