• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Camping, Princess Style

Marlene

This doesn't look like much, but it's the source of one of the more spectacularly backhanded compliments my darling has given me. We liked Melissa Clark's recipe for Creamy Pan-Roasted Scallops with Fresh Tomatoes so much that I decided to riff on it with chunks of chicken instead of the shimp I used last time. (I wrote about that time here.) The seasonings were a bit different; I used berbere spice mix on the chicken, and white wine (which couldn't be flamed) rather than the VSOP brandy I'd used with the shrimp. I put it all atop some wild rice pilaf.

It's possible that he was jonesing for ribs anyway and that's why he looked at the whole process askance. I dunno. But I kept tasting and adjusting, and was quite pleased with the result. It would have looked better with a garnish, I admit.

20230302_191254.jpg

I quote: "With all due respect...I expected to have just one bowlful and then go to bed... but this was...WOW!" as he went for another helping. He also got around to admitting that he was almost embarrassed to express such happy surprise, and said so again next morning.

Backhanded compliment, indeed! 🙃

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Ha! reminds me of the drink vending machines in hospitals and one we had in high school cafeteria (whyich consisted if a row of beeezare vending machines.  Coffee, hot cocoa, and bouillon. So often the cup would improperly drop and the liquid woud land off-sides,  You'd rush to straighten the cup which was not large and get maybe some of it plus a scalded hand.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, heidih said:

Ha! reminds me of the drink vending machines in hospitals and one we had in high school cafeteria (whyich consisted if a row of beeezare vending machines.  Coffee, hot cocoa, and bouillon. So often the cup would improperly drop and the liquid woud land off-sides,  You'd rush to straighten the cup which was not large and get maybe some of it plus a scalded hand.

I've seen vending machines like that, and fortunately managed to escape the burn. Your post reminds me of machines that I used to see somewhere I frequented that had playing card images on their designs. 4 cards were visible around the side; the 5th card was on the bottom. You could play poker with your mates while you drank the coffee! (Now I've forgotten how we'd keep our opponents from seeing the bottom card.)

2 hours ago, heidih said:

Nice compliment as it truly rings sincere.  Another one you wolt be able to duplicate ?  ;)

Ha! I think I'll be able to do it again, given the basis I began with. But then, I've said that before, haven't I? 😆

Edited by Smithy
Capitalization (log)
  • Like 4

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Pre-storm sunrise a day or two ago. 

20230314_064700.jpg

I realize this is a lot of posting activity in one go, but I'm behind in stories I want to tell you and it's pleasant to sit, drink coffee and listen to the mockingbird. I hope something generates questions or comments. (Thanks for yours, Heidi!) Besides, this way I avoid doing Real Work.

What I've Learned About Potluck Parties in Retirement Communities

A friend turned 80 a couple of weeks ago, and I attended a potluck birthday party to help him celebrate. It was cool but not cold: plenty nice to be outside, and a bunch of us brought our musical instruments and had a jam session. We also brought food. Lots of it, and a good variety, plenty to suit any tastes or dietary needs. I brought a more-or-less Caprese salad. It travels well and keeps well, and seemed a good choice for a potluck with that group: not likely to be duplicated, but not too strange. (I've had "exotic" dishes go begging before now!)

The salad included good tomatoes, salami, the last of my potted basil, mozzarella, marinated artichoke hearts, and sourdough bread that I oven-dried and diced to make a bottom layer and collect the juices. The dressing was a simple red wine vinaigrette with garlic and more basil.

20230311_103448-1.jpg

I transported it in a plastic tub, then served it in one of our good wooden bowls that we carry along in the Princessmobile. We bought this one in Egypt. It was fun watching the lathing process.

20230315_133022.jpg

Wooden bowl. Varnished. No need to refrigerate that salad. I set it on the picnic table, next to but not in the large bed of ice that had been set out for salads.

An hour or so later, I noticed that the bowl had been put into the ice bed. I moved it out and dried it off. Later on, same thing. And again when I collected the (very little) remains to go home. 

I'm happy to report that the bowl didn't suffer any damage despite its ill-considered and prolonged baths.

What did I learn? Don't bring a fancy bowl to a Yuma retiree's casual outdoor party!

• Like 5
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Pre-storm sunrise a day or two ago. 

20230314_064700.jpg

I realize this is a lot of posting activity in one go, but I'm behind in stories I want to tell you and it's pleasant to sit, drink coffee and listen to the mockingbird. I hope something generates questions or comments. (Thanks for yours, Heidi!) Besides, this way I avoid doing Real Work.

What I've Learned About Potluck Parties in Retirement Communities

A friend turned 80 a couple of weeks ago, and I attended a potluck birthday party to help him celebrate. It was cool but not cold: plenty nice to be outside, and a bunch of us brought our musical instruments and had a jam session. We also brought food. Lots of it, and a good variety, plenty to suit any tastes or dietary needs. I brought a more-or-less Caprese salad. It travels well and keeps well, and seemed a good choice for a potluck with that group: not likely to be duplicated, but not too strange. (I've had "exotic" dishes go begging before now!)

The salad included good tomatoes, salami, the last of my potted basil, mozzarella, marinated artichoke hearts, and sourdough bread that I oven-dried and diced to make a bottom layer and collect the juices. The dressing was a simple red wine vinaigrette with garlic and more basil.

20230311_103448-1.jpg

I transported it in a plastic tub, then served it in one of our good wooden bowls that we carry along in the Princessmobile. We bought this one in Egypt. It was fun watching the lathing process.

20230315_133022.jpg

Wooden bowl. Varnished. No need to refrigerate that salad. I set it on the picnic table, next to but not in the large bed of ice that had been set out for salads.

An hour or so later, I noticed that the bowl had been put into the ice bed. I moved it out and dried it off. Later on, same thing. And again when I collected the (very little) remains to go home. 

I'm happy to report that the bowl didn't suffer any damage despite its ill-considered and prolonged baths.

What did I learn? Don't bring a fancy bowl to a Yuma retiree's casual outdoor party!

I need to write this salad down for this summer with our tomatoes.  IF I can ever find some decent canned/jarred artichoke hearts. I have my hoarded expensive ones from Zingerman's though, so those would certainly work.  I've tried several different brands of canned/jarred hearts and the all have those unedible, tough leaves on them UGH.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I need to write this salad down for this summer with our tomatoes.  IF I can ever find some decent canned/jarred artichoke hearts. I have my hoarded expensive ones from Zingerman's though, so those would certainly work.  I've tried several different brands of canned/jarred hearts and the all have those unedible, tough leaves on them UGH.

The salad was close kin to another salad you should try when the tomatoes are in. I've hung onto this recipe for years!

Don't feel like cooking? Try this easy and savory Antipasti Salad (from the Duluth News Tribune)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Shelby if you can access the frozen artichoke hearts like Trader Joes used to sell - marinate your own, I first had them in a warm chicken + olives dish at a potluck (see tie back ;)  ) Just lush heart goodness.

@Smithy The ice thing! I think it is part of the old fear - like mayo based things on potluck table can kill ya. Nope acid protects us but old thoughts maybe with older particitants ...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, heidih said:

@Shelby if you can access the frozen artichoke hearts like Trader Joes used to sell - marinate your own, I first had them in a warm chicken + olives dish at a potluck (see tie back ;)  ) Just lush heart goodness.

@Smithy The ice thing! I think it is part of the old fear - like mayo based things on potluck table can kill ya. Nope acid protects us but old thoughts maybe with older particitants ...

Ronnie doesn't like Trader Joe's 🙄 He says it's all too expensive...and it's about an hour away.  BUT that makes me remember that Dillon's had frozen hearts that I bought a long time ago.  Maybe they still have them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Smithy said:

I quote: "With all due respect...I expected to have just one bowlful and then go to bed... but this was...WOW!" as he went for another helping. He also got around to admitting that he was almost embarrassed to express such happy surprise, and said so again next morning.

Backhanded compliment, indeed! 🙃

This speaks to the power of expectations and how nice it is when something exceeds them.

I'd recommend focusing on the meal having exceeded expectations and forget that he chose to remind you that he really had none to begin with 🙃

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Shelby said:

Ronnie doesn't like Trader Joe's 🙄 He says it's all too expensive...and it's about an hour away.  BUT that makes me remember that Dillon's had frozen hearts that I bought a long time ago.  Maybe they still have them.

Shelby, I used jarred marinated artichoke hearts. I don't think these are as good as the Trader Joe's Grilled Marinated Artichoke Hearts (which I've squirreled away since my last visit) but they weren't half bad in this salad. I haven't found anything yet to match the TJ's jarred product, but I agree that distance and travel time can be a nuisance.

20230315_214931.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"We have so many sausages in the fridge and freezer, and a bunch of them are from Llano! We'll be going back there soon! We need to start using these up!"  So said my darling, with the additional threat comment that he planned to cook Miiler's tube steaks every night he cooked until they're gone.

That's a lot of hash. I decided to use one in a pasta dish instead, which is exactly what he'd hoped I would do.

20230316_110526.jpg

It was a good opportunity to use bits and pieces from the refrigerator and counter: cherry tomatoes on the verge of shriveling; ditto a red onion; sun-dried tomatoes in oil; mozzarella left over from making the salad for the potluck. I intended it to put it all with fettucine or linguini, then realized we hadn't brought any along. We have a pasta maker! No need to buy noodles when I can make them! So I broke into the special prize package of pasta I'd bought at the World Market.

20230316_110413.jpg

Incidentally, this olive oil I purchased at the World Market was a wonderful find. I wish I had better access to that store. The oil is smooth and mellow, and there's a spring-loaded pouring spot under the cap.

20230316_110606.jpg

After I got the onion sliced and started, I got ready to start on the sun-dried tomatoes. I'd forgotten they were already julienned. 

20230315_191735.jpg

The steps for the dinner were pretty easy: soften the thinly-sliced onions in olive oil, then add the meat coins until they were browned, then add the cherry tomatoes and diced garlic, heat until tomatoes were beginning to pop. Add the sundried tomatoes and cooked pasta. Toss all with tomato paste (I finished a tube of it), pasta water, chunked cheese. I may have added a bit of cream or butter to thicken the sauce a bit.

20230315_195402.jpg

He said this morning it's another keeper!

20230315_200013.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 3

In past years, by this time I've been ready to expire from the heat for at least a month. This year has been cooler, but as I noted above the seasonal switch has been flipped from "winter" to "late spring". I've been watching and listening to the refrigerator labor, especially in the afternoon when the sun is hitting that side of the trailer. It was time to defrost today, and take stock of what we have.

20230317_115815.jpg

There's still a lot. Will that stop us going to the grocery store, or the specialty meat stores in Llano? Probably not. But there really are a lot of tube steaks in there!

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

On 3/15/2023 at 11:45 AM, Smithy said:

We had to go into Yuma one day for pickup servicing. The waiting area had a coffee / drink dispenser the likes of which I've never seen before. You choose the hot drink you want from the menu, tell which size, then watch as it mixes and dispenses the drink. I've only shown one page of the menu, but there was a second page as well. Then the status screen keeps you apprised of progress until the mixing and pouring is done.

20230311_103258.jpg

What an improvement over the pot of stale coffee getting staler and more intense as the day goes on!

It reminds me of the so-labeled Gourmet Coffee machine at the Tejon Rest Area on I-5 except you don't get to watch the mixing process. 

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

On 3/15/2023 at 2:21 PM, Smithy said:

...  and it's pleasant to sit, drink coffee and listen to the mockingbird.

I'm sitting on the patio having a cigar, listening to my tunes, and enjoying your catch-up posts. Also pleasant. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

On 3/15/2023 at 4:35 PM, Shelby said:

...and it's about an hour away. 

Shelby, our move from southern California to a small city in Arizona has likewise left us bereft of decent stores like TJs. We're limited to 3 uninteresting chain supermarkets. For us, the distance to a TJs or other more interesting places to shop is 1 1/2 hours away and we haven't made that journey yet. Our trips back to southern CA are family and Dr visit centric. Thus far we haven't made it to TJs or Sprouts, etc. What grocery shopping we do do uis to buy stock-up things from Costco, and me getting my preferred coffee from WinCo. I was going to order some from Amazon but balked at the price, about double what I pay at WinCo.

On a separate note, on the trip we're making next week we'll pick up our grandchildren and bring them back with us for a few days. 😁

• Like 3

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

@Smithy Do you make a corned beef dinner for the 2 of you on St Patrick's Dar?

We intended to, but didn't pick up the corned beef brisket during our last grocery store visit because we expected to be back this week. Didn't make it back. We're having ribs tonight, and maybe tomorrow we'll find some bargains!

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Smithy said:

In past years, by this time I've been ready to expire from the heat for at least a month. This year has been cooler, but as I noted above the seasonal switch has been flipped from "winter" to "late spring". I've been watching and listening to the refrigerator labor, especially in the afternoon when the sun is hitting that side of the trailer. It was time to defrost today, and take stock of what we have.

20230317_115815.jpg

There's still a lot. Will that stop us going to the grocery store, or the specialty meat stores in Llano? Probably not. But there really are a lot of tube steaks in there!

My refrigerator seriously needs defrosting.  If you have time on your way back to Minnesota could you swing by New Jersey and help me defrost mine?  Thanks in advance.

• Haha 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

50 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

My refrigerator seriously needs defrosting.  If you have time on your way back to Minnesota could you swing by New Jersey and help me defrost mine?  Thanks in advance.

Have hair dryer, will travel!

Edited by Smithy
(Came up with better response) (log)
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Yeah, I just love defrosting. I'm on my way.

• Haha 2

On 3/15/2023 at 6:24 PM, Smithy said:

The salad was close kin to another salad you should try when the tomatoes are in. I've hung onto this recipe for years!

Don't feel like cooking? Try this easy and savory Antipasti Salad (from the Duluth News Tribune)

I'm having trouble getting to this recipe,  it is behind a pay wall. Any one else able at access it? 

I can see the recipe photo and it looks good. @Smithy I also like the salad recipe that you included and am so glad that your wooden salad bowl survived its multiple ice baths! It is a beautiful bowl.

• Thanks 1