• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Camping, Princess Style

Marlene

19 hours ago, Smithy said:

Sorry! Yes, we're well (a bit sniffly at the moment) but have been busy getting ready for holidays. Since you've asked, I'll restart this. Thanks for asking!

Tell me you guys don't have Covid like we do!  

4 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Tell me you guys don't have Covid like we do!  

I'm afraid you're only half right. Yesterday I started sniffling; today I used home tests (from 2 different production batches) and tested positive both times. My darling doesn't seem to have it; at least, his test came back negative and he shows none of the symptoms. i'm not in bad shape, but not as energetic as I might be -- and I'm certainly put out about the kink this throws in our social plans!

• Sad 10

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

6 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I'm afraid you're only half right. Yesterday I started sniffling; today I used home tests (from 2 different production batches) and tested positive both times. My darling doesn't seem to have it; at least, his test came back negative and he shows none of the symptoms. i'm not in bad shape, but not as energetic as I might be -- and I'm certainly put out about the kink this throws in our social plans!

Well shit.

I'm so sorry.  I hope it's mild and leaves quickly.  

If it helps like a tiny amount, you're not alone.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Well, crap!  Just what you didn't want to have happen. Sending good thoughts and hugs your way.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So...lately we've been eating pork, and ham, and sausage, and pork ribs, and yet more pork. If we don't change things up soon I think we'll start communicating in grunts and squeals. There's a lot of catching-up to do, but first I'm going to go back to dear old Llano, Texas. That was in early November!

20221105_092809.jpg

The park along the riverfront gets decorated every year for "Starry starry nights in Llano" with lights twined around hoops defining the walkway, and lighted decorations along the path. It wouldn't start until after we left. Here's a very small sample. This year I realized that they had a display series for "The 12 Days of Christmas." I think it's new this year. At the bottom of this collage you can see the Partridge in a Pear Tree and one of the 8 Maids a-Milking.

20221224_144043.jpg

Sometimes I think we should stick around just once so we could experience it as it's meant to be seen, but that would mean staying until December. We prefer to be farther west by then. Besides, this park has a 7-day limit on stays. We've never tested to see whether it can be stretched, although we suspect it can.

There are several reasons we prefer to be farther west. Weather is one of them. We were treated to a BEAUTIFUL thunderstorm/light show one night, off to the east and passing over Mineral Wells, TX where we'd spent the previous night. It wouldn't have been a good time to still be there; in fact, we'd considered skipping Llano altogether because we weren't sure of the storm track.

20221106_111159.jpg

I was glad when we decided Llano would be safe; I had plans that involved food and other shopping there.

One of the food-related reasons, of course, was Cooper's Old-Time Pit Barbecue. We got food from there several times: beef ribs, beef brisket, and even once some pork ribs. Mineral Wells has the better pork ribs. Cooper's has the better beef.

20221224_144246.jpg

I'm not sure what to make of this car in Cooper's parking lot.

20221224_144352.jpg

On the first night, we very much wanted beef ribs and knew they sell out quickly, so asked them to set some aside for us. When asked, they'll set aside the requested amount, wrap it tightly and keep it in a warmer until you come for it. As you can see, the ribs looked a bit overdone by being held that way. After that, when we wanted ribs we simply went earlier and wrapped / held them ourselves.  

20221224_144455.jpg

Still, the ribs were delicious as you can see above. No complaints here!

Every time I visited, I stocked up on beans, barbecue sauce, and pickles. Soft white bread a couple of times, too. That helps ameliorate the overall cost of the dinners, but mostly gets things that I don't yet know how to make as well. (Note the optimistic "yet"!)

20221105_100656.jpg

I'm going to have to start trying to make something like their barbecue sauce myself. I'm already almost out of what I stockpiled, and with all the pork we've been eating it will run out soon. I've worked out that it's a vinegar-based red sauce rather than the sweet stuff he prefers. That comes from Mineral Wells.

Oh, and while we were there we tried to hook up with a mobile repairman to figure out why our freshly-serviced generator was leaking oil. Ended up figuring it out for ourselves, at our next stop.

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

When we first started coming to Llano another of my Cooper's favorites was their potato salad. It has dill pickle chunks and something like roasted red pepper. It isn't sweet. It almost has a mashed-potato texture. My darling isn't crazy about it, probably for the same reasons I like it, so on the first night I ordered a side of potato salad for one. This is what I got!

20221104_191619.jpg

2 oz! 1/4 cup! I forget how much I paid for that, but afterward i knew to order it by the pint or by the quart. And now I think I'm over it and won't need to order it again. I think I can make some I like at least as well.

Edited by Smithy
Corrected measurement conversion (log)
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Merry Christmas, everyone!

Breakfast this morning was pretty grinchy.

20221225_100131.jpg

The last of my Neufchatel went on this bread just after I snapped the photo. I dream of Christmas breakfasts like we used to have, or even had last year (cinnamon rolls! eggs! sausage or bacon!) but wasn't up for making any of it. My darling had his usual breakfast cereal. We'll do better over dinner. That will be early in the day, and he's making most of it.

I'm sniffly this morning but not bad; I've had worse colds. Cold/flu hot drink helps suppress the symptoms. I do wish The Powers That Be hadn't decided to sweeten their cold/medicine drink mix with aspertame rather than sugar or honey! I hate that stuff. I used to be able to avoid artificial sweeteners by using Walgreens' generic brand, but they jumped on the no-sugar bandwagon too. 😠

• Like 10

So, back to Llano. I mentioned before that I forgot quite a few things this trip. (I'm still missing some of them!) Some our housesitter can send along; others are too large or heavy to be worthwhile. I went to Charlie's Hardware, my favorite cooking / kitchen store in Llano, to see what I might be able to buy. I love going to Charlie's, perusing the goods, shooting the breeze with Kim and buying something. This time I was specifically looking for silicone ice cube trays (how could I have forgotten those??) and a replacement for my mixing bowls. I gave my good Pyrex mixing bowls to a great-niece last fall when she was setting up house in her first apartment. Heck, I have plenty of mixing bowls at home, and my darling carps about those glass bowls. I'd replace them with some of the metal bowls from home.

It was a good plan, but I forgot to pack the replacement bowls.

Charlie's has a wonderful selection of bakeware, appliances, cookware, doodads, gifts, and tea towels.

20221107_142434.jpg

20221225_110036.jpg

20221225_105858.jpg

I've never seen a wooden spoon as large as the ones they had (note the one lying on the shelf because it was too big to hang!). I don't know where one would be used, except perhaps in a cauldron. Double, double, toil and trouble? 

She had silicone trays to make very large and very tiny ice cubes, but not the size I wanted. I decided to let our housesitter include ours in the next mail shipment. She had beautiful stainless steel mixing bowls, all larger than I needed.

She had some great tea towels!

20221110_173416-1.jpg

20221110_173104-1.jpg

And a better out-of-stock notification than I usually see.

20221107_142019.jpg

Nothing from her cocktail sets or kitchen gear worked for me, alas. I bought a present for a new baby, finished my visit, and left.

• Like 5
  • Haha 7

23 hours ago, Smithy said:

We'll do better over dinner. That will be early in the day, and he's making most of it.

Ha! Christmas dinner was at the usual time, slightly after 8 P.M. The late afternoon and early evening hours were largely occupied with telephone conversations with family and friends. That was all wonderful -- what the holidays are about! -- but I worried that the ham would be ruined from overcooking.

Yes, ham. Oink. We've been toting a huge double-smoked ham from home since we purchased it last October. We'd purchased the two halves of a ham from our favorite high-end grocery store that smokes the hams themselves. We would have done it even if their normal price of somewhere between $4 and $5 per pound had been charged. To their chagrin, some trainees had mislabeled the hams as a lower-grade ham at right around $2/lb. We asked the meat manager. He rolled his eyes, said "we have to watch those kids every minute!" and then went on to say that we should take the hams at the labeled prices. We did. We cooked the first half before we left and used it for sandwiches, mac 'n' cheese 'n' ham, and various other dishes. We held this half until Christmas. I don't think I have a picture of it before it was cooked. My darling took care of getting it ready while I napped.

He cut up potatoes and carrots, lined our largest Le Creuset ECI pot with them, plopped the ham atop them, and filled in the gaps with yet more potatoes. All the potatoes had been microwaved beforehand to give them a head start. Then we stuck a temperature probe in the ham, set the oven on its lowest setting (it maintained 265, according to my oven probe) and went about our business until the ham hit 160F. Then we turned the oven back down to the pilot light until we were ready to eat. Early. Which we didn't do.

Meanwhile, I worked on trimming and cutting green beans with which to try a recipe from Ali Slagle's I Dream of Dinner (so You Don't Have To) (eG-friendly Amazon.com link). The recipe in question called for mixing up a dressing that appealed to me enormously: lemon zest and juice, mustard, feta crumbles, olive oil. (Not all that different from one of my favorite green bean salads from Cookie & Kate.) I must have been pretty badly distracted by the time I was working on it all, because I took only this photo of the mixed dressing, and none of the beans in question.

20221225_181244.jpg

You've all seen freshly trimmed and cut green beans anyway, but I bring it up because of her instructions: to MASH and SPLIT the beans using a rolling pin or other kitchen weapon, in order to create all sorts of crevices to soak up the dressing. (This can also be done with cauliflower, radishes...the list goes on.) Now I ask you: would you go to the trouble of dumping a colander's worth of green bean chunks into a bag atop a board and mashing them with a rolling pin? Nuh-uh, not me, not last night. Besides, she doesn't say anything about cooking them and I wanted them lightly cooked. So at that point I reverted to the Cookie & Kate method of cooking them, and then dumped them into the dressing. Yes, it was quite good.

Dinner was delicious. Yes, we were sure the ham was overcooked but no, the flavor didn't suffer and the texture suffered very little. 

20221225_185019.jpg

This morning's remains show that the ham looks dry...

20221226_080526.jpg

...but trust me, it wasn't. And we now have these leftovers with which to make more meals: slices at the top; chunks at the lower left; and potatoes/carrots/juice that my darling assures me won't last past his next turn to cook.

20221226_103353-1.jpg

My only regret is that we finished so late neither of us wanted dessert. That box of See's Candies I bought for the purpose is still intact.

• Like 11

10 minutes ago, heidih said:

And in an assorted box of See's your favorite is?

Dark chocolate, with nuts of some sort. Almonds are best, but any nuts will do!

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

Back to Llano, for a shopping trip to my other favorite food-related place there: Miiller's Meat Market and Smokehouse. (They ship, folks!) This is an old-style meat processing, butchering and packing place, with plenty of other food as well. We went for some of the sausages and stuffed jalapenos of varying types, but I had to snap plenty of photos and ogle other goods.

This is the place in Llano where you can get everything you need for curing your own meats and blending your own sausages, if you don't want to buy some of theirs. Their camp food supplies seem to be pretty good too.

20221225_105120.jpg

There are plenty of preserves, both packed there and brought in from the area:

20221225_104913.jpg

20221225_105021.jpg

They have some fresh groceries, though we've never bought any there; the fresh produce at the local grocery sttore is generally better although this fall the pickings for lettuce were pretty slim.

There's a huge selection of wine, which I didn't photograph, and a fun selection of gifts.

20221110_172610-1.jpg

20221108_145505.jpg

A massive selection of meats, including a good variety of jalapeno poppers of varying recipes. We bought some of those, and some sausages that have appeared in some of our meals but haven't been photographed alone.

20221225_104804.jpg

Their sign at the entrance regarding pets made me laugh because of its thoroughness. The beer packaging made me scratch my head.

20221225_104637.jpg

I never did figure out what the extra H's were all about on that box of Busch light.

Edited by Smithy
Corrected BUSCHHHHH commentary (log)
  • Like 10

13 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Back to Llano, for a shopping trip to my other favorite food-related place there: Miiller's Meat Market and Smokehouse. (They ship, folks!) This is an old-style meat processing, butchering and packing place, with plenty of other food as well. We went for some of the sausages and stuffed jalapenos of varying types, but I had to snap plenty of photos and ogle other goods.

This is the place in Llano where you can get everything you need for curing your own meats and blending your own sausages, if you don't want to buy some of theirs. Their camp food supplies seem to be pretty good too.

20221225_105120.jpg

There are plenty of preserves, both packed there and brought in from the area:

20221225_104913.jpg

20221225_105021.jpg

They have some fresh groceries, though we've never bought any there; the fresh produce at the local grocery sttore is generally better although this fall the pickings for lettuce were pretty slim.

There's a huge selection of wine, which I didn't photograph, and a fun selection of gifts.

20221110_172610-1.jpg

20221108_145505.jpg

A massive selection of meats, including a good variety of jalapeno poppers of varying recipes. We bought some of those, and some sausages that have appeared in some of our meals but haven't been photographed alone.

20221225_104804.jpg

Their sign at the entrance regarding pets made me laugh because of its thoroughness. The beer packaging made me scratch my head.

20221225_104637.jpg

I never did figure out what the SSSSH was all about on that box of Busch light.

The animal sign - nice effort but meaningless under ADA. The Buschhhh here ya go  https://www.ign.com/videos/busch-beer-super-bowl-51-commercial-buschhhhh You guys sure fond some cool stores on your travels. Thanks!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, heidih said:

The animal sign - nice effort but meaningless under ADA. The Buschhhh here ya go  https://www.ign.com/videos/busch-beer-super-bowl-51-commercial-buschhhhh You guys sure fond some cool stores on your travels. Thanks!

That advert is hilarious! Thank you! 😄

As for finding cool stores: thanks for that, too. I'll be sure to tell my darling that it's all in the name of research. That'll make him feel sooo much better. 😉

• Haha 1

Oh the jalapeno poppers - there must be a big recipe push online about poppers as holiday appetizers. Could not find any serranos - my everyday hot pepper usually for sale today but 4 baskets of plump jalapenos on offer!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, heidih said:

Oh the jalapeno poppers - there must be a big recipe push online about poppers as holiday appetizers. Could not find any serranos - my everyday hot pepper usually for sale today but 4 baskets of plump jalapenos on offer!

How about bird's eye chilis? I've never paid attention to them before but I recently realized they may be the driving force behind my preferred hot sauce. Now I have a bee in my bonnet about trying to make some, but I don't know that I've seen them in stores here.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Smithy said:

How about bird's eye chilis? I've never paid attention to them before but I recently realized they may be the driving force behind my preferred hot sauce. Now I have a bee in my bonnet about trying to make some, but I don't know that I've seen them in stores here.

Yes there are oither chiles and I had a guy at FM who used to bag me an assortment for a smile but I just don't have access noiw and was happy wkth the plump srranols at local. So funny to look at receipt and see the charge for a big handful at under 50 cents. They are hollow inside so little weight

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@Smithy 

thnakyou for taking the time fr the pics @Millers.

its interesting to se how Meat selections change around the country

22222.thumb.jpg.161b2961acfe17b76fa2335d284d26cc.jpg

any idea what cut of meat rh\they use for the pre-cut Fajitas ?

Here's a better photo; that one's a bit misleading because the collage cut out the wrong detail. They've labeled it as beef skirt.

20221108_150308.jpg

While I'm at it, I'll indulge in some more high-pixel shots of their lovely meat and deli selections. 

20221108_150234.jpg

20221108_150232.jpg

20221108_150145.jpg

20221108_150154.jpg

Beef here is sky-high in prices, as everywhere else in the country, but from what we've seen it's all high in quality although we didn't buy any of it. We came away from here with plenty of sausages, jalapeno poppers of various types, and snack sticks. 

They also have a freezer section with ready-to-heat dishes such as loaded potato casserole and various pastas. I didn't take any photos of those.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Last night's dinner was a much-needed change of pace, since neither of us was terribly hungry but both wanted vegetables: brussels sprouts, browned in olive oil, cooked briefly with a touch of water and a brief covering (a trick I learned from Cookie & Kate), then tossed, simmered and finished with a balsamic vinaigrette and some garlic. Some cherry tomatoes that had gone begging for salads also went in there.

20221226_190139.jpg

It looks better in this skillet photo than it does in any of the dinner pictures. Maybe that isn't saying much, but we both liked it and it was a gracious plenty. With leftovers!

I owe @Franci thanks for the original lesson of browning sprouts, cut side down, in olive oil before doing anything else with them.

• Like 9

@Smithy 

thank you .  I thought it might be beef skirt.

there is an inner , and an outer skirt  .

I only have a a 50 % chance remembering which is which 

and the which you want is the thinner skirt .  the other is thicker

the thinner one makes fantastic pin-wheels , each skirt rolled

skewered ( or tied ) , and then cut  in half. .   very high temp grilling 

so that the result is rare , w a crust.

the other is thicker , sometimes available # Stop & Shop

it need SV  as it's tough.    wondering if those pre-cut

were the thicker skirt.  butchers take home the thinner one

esp if prime , as there are only 2 / steer 

used to be a cheap cut back when 

as few knew what to do with them as they are thin.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3

@rotuts, judging by the look of those packages I'd guess they were the thicker part. I'm trying to remember whether I've seen pinwheels there -- maybe? -- they're that kind of a shop. They have a Chat function. I'll ask for more information about the skirt part, and if I get an answer I'll post it here. :)

• Like 1

this is a very interesting selection :

3333.thumb.jpg.3364f65155f2bd90dadbbd6f3c00258a.jpg

the Texas Choice is over 20 & more expensive than the NotFmTx 

and look at the difference in marbling !

that TxRE is going to have some chew to it !

drunk.jpeg.444fbd6775b6a9b57cca9151801f6336.jpeg

wonder if the L is from Argentina , and it looks very Prime to me !

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1