• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Camping, Princess Style

Marlene

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

That fish looks delicious.  What kind is it?

Thanks! It's cod from the last Wild Alaskan shipment we received before leaving. I used 2 filets and cut each in half along the spinal divide. The coating was a simple dusting of Hungry Jack pancake mix.

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 hour ago, heidih said:

Is it flavored - like wth sesame oil? I'd give it a taste to see how crisp itis and holdover a flame to tost if needed. a nice snack with a drink while you admire the view. Rolls of course but  then I'd want rice, shrimp or other protein, or maybe just avocado, pickled gongr, and wasabi/soy sauce to dip - so thats a bit of a production if not all on hand.

I'll give it a taste in the next day or two. I've never made sushi rolls and don't have any of the gear, but if it can make a nice snack then I think I can use it.

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

3 hours ago, Smithy said:

In other news: I found this unopened package, lost in a ditch crevice, during our walk this morning. Assuming it's really as sealed as I think it is, what shall I do with the contents?

Even your kitties may be interested in a bite or two.   🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/24/2022 at 2:56 PM, Smithy said:

In other news: I found this unopened package, lost in a ditch crevice, during our walk this morning. Assuming it's really as sealed as I think it is, what shall I do with the contents?

20220324_092540.jpg

A few weeks ago, we tried a dish from the NYT called "Fish With Brown Butter, Capers and Nori" from Danielle Alvarez's book Always Add Lemon (eG-friendly Amazon.com link), as adapted by Melissa Clark. It sounds simple enough, but it was surprisingly complicated, and we decided that it wasn't worth the trouble. However, the "nori" part of it was an emulsified oil with which you dressed the cooked fish. The oil was rich and umami-forward and delicious, but we didn't much care for it in context. We agreed that it might be at home somewhere else (we haven't yet figured out where that is). Anyway, maybe you'll give it a try and let us know what to do with it.

Nori Oil

1/3 C crumbled nori 

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Put the nori in a blender or mini food processor.

With the motor running, slowly add the olive oil. Blend until the oil is black, 1 to 3 minutes, scraping down the sides if needed. You might need to scrape down the bowl between pulses. Stir in a pinch each of salt and pepper.

This will keep for at least a few weeks in the refrigerator.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Someone here has shown the nori snipped into soup where it adds umami. I miss going to the Korea market where there are always sample ladies offering the specials. And they have the litte snack packs at a way better price than Trader Joes. Since you are in the mobile vehicle I only offered simplicity. Homemade Hurricne Popcorn also an option https://www.hurricanepopcorn.com/  or make your own furikake but that reuires more pantry ingredients.  Hey it was free - taste it :) And as someone noted earlier - dogs & cats will perk up and take notice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, heidih said:

Someone here has shown the nori snipped into soup where it adds umami.

I know this well for Kombu, but Nori flakes in a soup would not be so attractive (at least not to me) …

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Dave the Cook said:

A few weeks ago, we tried a dish from the NYT called "Fish With Brown Butter, Capers and Nori" from Danielle Alvarez's book Always Add Lemon (eG-friendly Amazon.com link), as adapted by Melissa Clark. It sounds simple enough, but it was surprisingly complicated, and we decided that it wasn't worth the trouble. However, the "nori" part of it was an emulsified oil with which you dressed the cooked fish.

In Ottolenghi's book, NOPI, there's a similar sounding recipe, Lemon Sole with Burnt Butter, Nori, and Fried Capers (available online here) where the nori is added to the browned butter along with ginger, lemon and parsley.  Aside from frying the capers, it doesn't sound terribly fussy, particularly for a NOPI recipe. 

If you've got any Spam in your emergency rations, you could make some Spam musubi.  Nori-crusted steaks from Cooking Light magazine might be an idea.  Eric Kim put it on his Creamy Asparagus Pasta in the NYT (sorry, I'm sure there's a paywall) for that umami hit that @heidih mentioned. 

• Thanks 1

Don't get me started on the New York Times paywall for their cooking section. It's not enough to have a subscription to the newspaper, now I have to have a special subscription to get access to most of the recipes. (This, of course, would be in addition to the crossword puzzle subscription I already have... Ahem.)

My impression of nori is that it's a strong flavor so I would imagine it should be used sparingly. But that nori oil sounds very interesting.

• Like 1

Formerly "Nancy in CO"

On 3/25/2022 at 2:56 AM, Smithy said:

I mostly just eat it as it comes, as a snack, but I have also ground it and added it to a batter for fish and chips and was very happy with that.

My favourite crackers to eat with cheese or even chicken liver pâté also contain ground nori. I never make them though.

1433260572_seaweedcrackers1.thumb.jpg.add86685783b3280c93e4f13557fe741.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

The nori experiments have begun.

In case it wasn't clear, I've never knowingly tasted nori and had no idea what to expect. The stuff is in sheets stacked atop each other in that little plastic container. It seems a little goes a long way. With that in mind, I made some of the nori oil @Dave the Cook mentioned here, a few posts ago. Is it perfectly emulsified? Not by a far cry; we have no blender in the Princessmobile and the wand blender was really only up to chopping it into tiny bits. Still, I have the oil to try on something.

20220330_111341.jpg

Tasting notes: the sheets are oily. The flavor is briny like the ocean - what I expected - but also rather fishy, like fish that's been sitting a little too long. I think I was expecting something more like the bright brininess of good, fresh oysters. I had reservations about the flavor, but decided to go ahead with the oil and with the recipe to which @blue_dolphin linked here. (Incidentally, not one of our 4-footed companions would touch the stuff.)

Yesterday I tried the recipe blue_dolphin had suggested: Lemon Sole with Burnt Butter, Nori and Fried Capers, from NOPI. It isn't unusual for me to take liberties with a recipe unless I'm actually testing it for someone, and yesterday was no different. I didn't even know there was such a fish as lemon sole! We didn't have any, but we still have fish from the Wild Alaska company. I wanted to try the recipe using salmon and sablefish. I'm still trying to find fish recipes that my darling will love as much as I, and that's an especial challenge with salmon. His face fell when he saw I had pulled out fish to cook. He hoped against hope: "Will you fry it?" "Nope," I said, and his face fell again. 

Actually, I fibbed a bit about not frying the fish. The original recipe says to broil that lemon sole 8 - 10 minutes until cooked, then keep warm somewhere while the sauce is being made. I ask you: would any thin cut of fish stand up to that much broiling? Maybe lemon sole is thicker than it looks in pictures. I was quite sure our fish would not take that treatment. I dusted it with pancake mix, shallow-fried it a few minutes' worth until it was done, then set it aside in the oven to stay warm while I made the sauce. (Incidentally, I shallow-fried it in the same oil I'd used to fry the capers. One less pan to clean, and as you'll see that was a good thing.)

Before starting all that, I'd made yet another batch of Cookie + Kate's Green Bean Salad with Toasted Almonds & Feta, using pine nuts to stand in as the almonds. I kept the salad in its skillet in the warmish oven, same place as the fish, while making the burnt butter sauce.

Note to self: Do NOT start cooking dinner while there are dishes from afternoon prep work in the sink! It doesn't matter if it's only a couple of jars, the stuff adds up! Actually, this photo is from when all the prep work was done and before I began cooking, but you get the idea.

20220329_212855.jpg

Back to dinner: it was a SMASH HIT. In truth, I'm not sure the nori added anything...but it certainly didn't hurt.

20220329_203516.jpg

For once, I didn't overcook the fish: not even the salmon, which is considerably firmer and tighter than sablefish. For once, he liked both fish. He said, both last night and this morning, that I can cook those beans and that fish recipe any time. 

20220330_111903.jpg

But.

Behold the "before and after" scenes of the wreckage! I washed last night, he put away this morning, and it nearly did him in. 

20220330_104914.jpg

Tonight it will be hash. He cooks. 1 skillet, 2 bowls, 2 spoons, and the prep stuff will All Be Washed And Put Away this afternoon. 😉

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Wow that is some kitchen clean up to face!  That looks like snacking nori. Thumb on one end, pointer finger on other, pull up and put whole piece in mouth. It sort of dissolves. A salty snackable. No clean briny - it is dried processed deaweed and has an ocean funk - not to me but I coukd drink a shot of fish sauce...The types that are roasted wit sesame oil and sometime a touch of soy might be more snackably appealing. 

20 minutes ago, heidih said:

Wow that is some kitchen clean up to face!  That looks like snacking nori. Thumb on one end, pointer finger on other, pull up and put whole piece in mouth. It sort of dissolves. A salty snackable. No clean briny - it is dried processed deaweed and has an ocean funk - not to me but I coukd drink a shot of fish sauce...The types that are roasted wit sesame oil and sometime a touch of soy might be more snackably appealing. 

Thanks for that. Based on the small unadulterated bit I tried, it isn't something I'd want to put whole into my mouth and allow to dissolve. However, I think you're saying that some people might like it just like this but I might more appreciate the sesame oil / maybe soy variety? Have I got that right?

3 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I bought some nori for Zeus once.  He wouldn't go near it.

I looked after a cat once (for a few months) and he was MAD for nori. Just adored the stuff.  🙂

• Like 2

We have a 32' fifth wheel and I hear you on the dishes, seems like I am washing dishes all day long on my "vacation." Also, I love sable fish, my favourite of all fish, although haibut is a close second. The other thing is that I love that you used the word "fib." That and "white lie" were my dear Mom's way of saying that she lied about something. Apparenty a white lie or a fib is something done to spare someone's feelings, as in "I love your new, fire engine red hair colour!"

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

51 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

We have a 32' fifth wheel and I hear you on the dishes, seems like I am washing dishes all day long on my "vacation." Also, I love sable fish, my favourite of all fish, although haibut is a close second. The other thing is that I love that you used the word "fib." That and "white lie" were my dear Mom's way of saying that she lied about something. Apparenty a white lie or a fib is something done to spare someone's feelings, as in "I love your new, fire engine red hair colour!"

Bless your heart

• Haha 6

As promised, last night was a study in contrasts between his cookery and mine. He cooked hash, one of his absolute favorite dinners to cook and eat (as you already probably know). I give you the prepped ingredients and the cooking process. Note that his cooking style does not involve standing over a hot stove or racing between stove and counter.

20220331_111156.jpg

Dinner - ready for its closeup, Mr. DeMille:

20220330_194848.jpg

And the dinner table, and the post-washup counter.

20220331_111311.jpg

• Like 9

For those of you who like to look in high-end grocery stores, I have one last trip to a Stater Bros to share. This one is in Indio, Calif and we went there specifically to get more of those wonderful New York Style Calabrese sausages before moving too far away.

20220330_185625.jpg

(I think it's pretty funny that a company titled "New York Style Sausage Co." is in Sunnyvale, Calif, but there you go: for those of you unfamiliar with the geography, Sunnyvale is in the Bay Area of California, near San Francisco and San Jose.)

We needed a few things like fresh produce, half and half, cereal and pet food, but the only thing I bothered to photograph was the meat counter. Hubba, hubba! Look at the selection! Look at those tomahawk steaks!

20220330_190138.jpg

And look at the prices!! $4.99/lb for party wings, anyone?

20220330_190322.jpg

For once we didn't yield to the temptation to buy more meat. It was fun to look, though.

Across the street is a farmer's market that we think must be a single owner, with the fields immediately adjacent. We didn't stop to check it out, but we loved the inflated strawberry. Quite the eye-catcher.

20220330_190929.jpg

Finally, on the way between camp and Indio, we visited the Oasis Date Gardens. They still aren't fully open due to pandemic precautions, but you can call in an order and pick it up outside. They still have the best dates of any we've tried: not too dry, but well enough tended - in this case, that means frozen for a critical time period - that we're sure nothing will hatch in them. There's nothing like opening a bag of dates to find it crawling with bugs, and that's happened with another grower's dates. 

As you see, the grounds are still beautifully tended. We got a date shake to go, and shared it.

20220330_190700.jpg

• Like 9

@Smithy 

very nice  thanks for the pics of the meat counter !

I have not been to a meat count like that in a while.

here ( pre-covid )  I wasn't interested in finddleing around in Cambridge

there was a fine one in Palo Alto where I frequented whenever

I visited my father.

if you are going to have a '' treat " ,, make it a good one !

• Like 1

Lest I forget -- sorry for the data dump, but I'm doing some catchup right now -- I want to note the comparison between the two corkscrew-type pastas I've been carrying around, thanks to @gfweb oh, months ago.

We both thought that the Barilla Cellentani looked like a longer version of the Cavatappi no. 87 made by DeCecco. We were wrong. 

20220329_162934-1.jpg

In these bottom two pictures (above) the corkscrews on the left are DeCecco Cavatappi and the corkscrews on the right are Barilla Cellentani. The DeCecco are slightly larger and seem to have a slightly larger bore. Is that a function of the number? Is there a different size of each of these? I don't know.

I mixed them in the latest version of mac 'n' cheese 'n' ham. I know gfweb doesn't like the inclusion of ham or anything else in his mac 'n' cheese, but I still owe him thanks for the suggestion of these corkscrews and their use. The previous attempts to use this stuff have left me wondering what their advantage is. In this dish they provided good structure - lots of room for good gooey sauce to run in, and bits of meat to hide among. Maybe I'll keep stocking this type of pasta. 

20220329_163127-1.jpg

I just realized that the photos look almost fluorescent orange, like the boxed stuff. It wasn't that color in real life! Still, it used up the last of the Buffalo Chicken Cheddar, and some frozen shredded cheddar, and it was easy...both in the original version and as leftovers.

Also in the "lest I forget" department: I promised to show this wonderful mural painted on the side of a Del Sol grocery store in Yuma. We're long gone from there, but I want to share it anyway.

20220302_140916-1.jpg

Edited by Smithy
Spelling, as usual (log)
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 1

Great mural. I am a huge fan of murals having grown up passing this one all the time. On a food related note It is on the Farmer John packing plant in Vernon a suburb of Los Angeles. I think my grandpa worked there for a while. Hormel owns and maintains now.  https://www.lataco.com/farmer-johns-hog-wild-mural-vernon/

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, heidih said:

Great mural. I am a huge fan of murals having grown up passing this one all the time. On a food related note It is on the Farmer John packing plant in Vernon a suburb of Los Angeles. I think my grandpa worked there for a while. Hormel owns and maintains now.  https://www.lataco.com/farmer-johns-hog-wild-mural-vernon/

That is a wonderful mural and a great story! Thanks!