• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Camping, Princess Style

Marlene

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I'm curious.  I have never had a fried green tomato in my life and can't understand their appeal.  I realize that many people like them but I have never been attracted to the idea of eating unripe anything.  What's so great about them?

I never knew they existed as a popular item until the movie. Which has nothing to do with them but takes your head there. I also never "wasted " greenies hoping for red ripe greatess.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fried_Green_Tomatoes

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, heidih said:

I never knew they existed as a popular item until the movie. Which has nothing to do with them but takes your head there. I also never "wasted " greenies hoping for red ripe greatess.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fried_Green_Tomatoes

Such a great movie.

Another use is to fry them and add to a BLT sandwich.  Either with a ripe tomato or without.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

… alas, finding a good green tomato in the Bay Area, even when they should be in season, even at the farmers' markets, is a rarity. No one seems into fried green tomatoes around here. …

Maybe you could “special request” them from your favorite tomato vendor (maybe with a little something to help them remember food/nice card appreciating their dedication to agriculture and finer produce), or maybe say something along the lines of “One of my fondest childhood memories is my mother’s/grandmother’s fried green tomatoes. I know I can rely on you to help me out.”. 

• Like 1

I don't cook them often but love fried green tomatoes.   Rather than batter, I prepare them more like schnitzel: dried, floured, egg dip, panko, pan fried.    Lots of ways to garnish.   Salsa and crema; aioli or rouilli; herbed white gravy if you're feeling indulgent.   Now I kinda hanker for some...

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

I love fried green tomatoes - they are the perfect way to use up end of season, ain't never gonna ripen tomatoes.  @Shelbyis right, though - even the tiniest speck of red ruins them for frying.  Might be ok for a green tomato pie, though.  I've found that big city restaurants - especially those that say they serve "New South" food - aren't the place to find good FGTs.  You need to get out in the country to a cafe in a small southern town.  Or a soul food restaurant or, best of all, a church that serves a Gospel lunch.  

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

I love fried green tomatoes - they are the perfect way to use up end of season, ain't never gonna ripen tomatoes.  @Shelbyis right, though - even the tiniest speck of red ruins them for frying.  Might be ok for a green tomato pie, though.  I've found that big city restaurants - especially those that say they serve "New South" food - aren't the place to find good FGTs.  You need to get out in the country to a cafe in a small southern town.  Or a soul food restaurant or, best of all, a church that serves a Gospel lunch.  

"Green tomato pie"...? Now that's a new one for me. Please tell us more! Not that I have any more access to green tomatoes than others who've spoken up so far, but I can always dream.

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

17 minutes ago, Smithy said:

"Green tomato pie"...? Now that's a new one for me. Please tell us more! Not that I have any more access to green tomatoes than others who've spoken up so far, but I can always dream.

It's good!  Bet you couldn't tell the difference between that and an apple pie.  Somewhere around here I made one and posted about it......but I don't remember where.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Shelby said:

It's good!  Bet you couldn't tell the difference between that and an apple pie.  Somewhere around here I made one and posted about it......but I don't remember where.

Ah, that makes sense...good, tart apples or good, tart tomatoes...

• Like 1

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I STILL have things to show you from Llano! Can you tell it's one of my favorite places to stop? All these photo ops come despite my having had to sit firmly on my backside the first few days, doing non-culinary tasks that couldn't wait and/or required electricity. 

After we went shopping at Miiller's Smokehouse, we went to the main grocery store, Lowe's. I don't have a picture of the storefront, but the exterior sets the stage for just how committed the place is to supporting hunters and barbecuers as well as those who simply want food to eat.

20211121_144645.jpg

Inside the store is more support for sportsmen and -women. There's every essential!

20211121_151820.jpg

20211122_064607.jpg

But those are just a few aisles. There's a fair - adequate, if you aren't too fussy - produce section...

20211121_152150.jpg

cheeses and snacks...

20211121_152305.jpg

a deli counter that I apparently didn't photograph, and the usual breads, canned goods, boxed dinners, things we don't usually buy. I spotted these local condiments and passed, but thought you might like to see them.

20211121_144919.jpg

Their dairy section is good. Their meat section is what really amazed us: the selection and apparent quality of prepared meats (sausages, bacon, and so on)20211121_145020.jpg

as well as their regular, ready-for-what-you-will cuts.

20211121_145240.jpg

Their pork prices were wonderful. Beef, on the other hand, was a shock. 

20211110_153125.jpg

We knew beef was getting pricey, but this really brought it home!

(Incidentally, I know some of these pictures are fuzzy. They're compressed for the sake of reducing bandwidth. If you want a clearer picture or information from some label that you can't read, ask. If I still have the original I'll be able to elaborate.)

We didn't need meat, but we got our produce and supplies, and headed home. Here's how we transported it, and what we purchased.

20211122_063936.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I STILL have things to show you from Llano! Can you tell it's one of my favorite places to stop? All these photo ops come despite my having had to sit firmly on my backside the first few days, doing non-culinary tasks that couldn't wait and/or required electricity. 

After we went shopping at Miiller's Smokehouse, we went to the main grocery store, Lowe's. I don't have a picture of the storefront, but the exterior sets the stage for just how committed the place is to supporting hunters and barbecuers as well as those who simply want food to eat.

20211121_144645.jpg

Inside the store is more support for sportsmen and -women. There's every essential!

20211121_151820.jpg

20211122_064607.jpg

But those are just a few aisles. There's a fair - adequate, if you aren't too fussy - produce section...

20211121_152150.jpg

cheeses and snacks...

20211121_152305.jpg

a deli counter that I apparently didn't photograph, and the usual breads, canned goods, boxed dinners, things we don't usually buy. I spotted these local condiments and passed, but thought you might like to see them.

20211121_144919.jpg

Their dairy section is good. Their meat section is what really amazed us: the selection and apparent quality of prepared meats (sausages, bacon, and so on)20211121_145020.jpg

as well as their regular, ready-for-what-you-will cuts.

20211121_145240.jpg

Their pork prices were wonderful. Beef, on the other hand, was a shock. 

20211110_153125.jpg

We knew beef was getting pricey, but this really brought it home!

(Incidentally, I know some of these pictures are fuzzy. They're compressed for the sake of reducing bandwidth. If you want a clearer picture or information from some label that you can't read, ask. If I still have the original I'll be able to elaborate.)

We didn't need meat, but we got our produce and supplies, and headed home. Here's how we transported it, and what we purchased.

20211122_063936.jpg

I think grocery prices are shocking everyone these days.  I do my shopping online for curbside pickup and scroll though most every day to add items for my weekly

order.  Every time I look the prices have jumped.  Example: a pint container of grape tomatoes is now $3.58.  Crazy.  And meat prices are over the top even though this is beef country.  Unfortunately those costs never seem to come back down.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I'm curious.  I have never had a fried green tomato in my life and can't understand their appeal.  I realize that many people like them but I have never been attracted to the idea of eating unripe anything.  What's so great about them?

I agree with the "crispy-tangy" description. Frying the tomato changes the consistency of the hard green fruit to something more like a ripe tomato, and does away with the harsh "tannic" quality the taste of an unripe tomato has. They're wonderful in a BLT, preferably mixed in with perfectly sliced ripe ones. A little pimiento cheese on the sandwich does not go amiss, either.

17 hours ago, Shelby said:

Agreed with the batter.

I picked some huge green tomatoes before the first freeze in the hopes that they would turn.  They are still green.  Ronnie is not a fan, but I love a good fried green 'mater.  I don't make them often because I would never sacrifice a KS tomato that could be a delicious red one , but if it's going to freeze then all bets are off lol.

I slice them pretty thick--maybe an inch and I like the light beer batter that I use for fish.

I guess I'm an outlier as far as the batter method. I cut my slices about a half-inch thick, then let them soak in a mix of milk and egg. Then I dredge them in seasoned cornbread mix, and pan-fry in about 1/4 inch of oil. Same method I use for okra, less the egg-milk soak (okra "slime" suffices for that).

• Like 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Thanks for the green tomato posts  everyone.  I'll have to try it.

Regarding the price of beef, it's expensive here too.  Shockingly so.  One of our chain grocery stores (Metro) has a sale on this week for strip loins at $6.88 a pound so we are going to be picking some up.  That price has not been seen for a long time.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

That price has not been seen for a long time.

I had to go look! But I see that they are AA/USDA Select grade so they might be somewhat disappointing if you are a custom to buying AAA. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

50 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I had to go look! But I see that they are AA/USDA Select grade so they might be somewhat disappointing if you are a custom to buying AAA. 

I noted that also.  I usually do buy AAA beef steaks/roasts at Costco but the price of them when I was there last week shocked me into thinking I should look at AA.  When I saw this price in the Metro flyer I figured I'd give it a try.  I have, however, lowered my expectations.🙂

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I noted that also.  I usually do buy AAA beef steaks/roasts at Costco but the price of them when I was there last week shocked me into thinking I should look at AA.  When I saw this price in the Metro flyer I figured I'd give it a try.  I have, however, lowered my expectations.🙂

I know the US grades but what do the Canadian ones mean? Is it the level of marbling or? Thanks

• Like 1

5 hours ago, heidih said:

I know the US grades but what do the Canadian ones mean? Is it the level of marbling or? Thanks

I found this:

In conclusion, the Canada Prime grade is virtually identical to the U.S.D.A. Prime grade, except that the Canadian grade does not allow dark coloured meat, yellow fat, older animals, or other off-quality characteristics. The Canada AAA grade is virtually identical to the U.S.D.A. Choice grade, except that the Canadian grade does not allow dark coloured meat, yellow fat, older animals, or other off-quality characteristics. The Canada AA grade has comparable marbling to the U.S.D.A. Select grade, but again the Canadian grade does not allow dark coloured meat, yellow fat, or other off-quality characteristics. The Canada A grade is unique to Canada in that there is less marbling but all other quality attributes are still present. This particular grade is well suited to those consumers now wishing to limit their level of fat intake while still wishing to enjoy the eating experience of high quality grain-fed beef.

The Government of Canada (Canadian Food Inspection Agency), in consultation with the Canadian beef industry, is constantly reviewing regulations to ensure that the safety and marketability of Canadian beef is maintained and improved. A consultation mechanism is in place which permits input from all sectors of the industry with regard to concerns about the inspection and grading systems.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One of my favorite restaurants on the North Shore of Lake Superior is the New Scenic Cafe. They weathered the Covid-19 lockdown first by developing meal kits, and later by offering takeout. Although the restaurant is now open again, they still have a deli for takeout offerings. They are also good enough to offer, free of charge if you know to ask, sourdough starter. I decided to give it another go. Yesterday, after ignoring the poor starter since the beginning of our trip, I pulled it out and fed it.

20211124_044446.jpg

Still alive! That's good, because I've run out of the sourdough bread I brought from home: 3 loaves. I may find more on the road (I saw it in Texas somewhere) but maybe it's time to try making my own again.

I have also been slowly cherishing the smoked salmon pate from New Scenic. I brought along 2 containers; the first is almost gone. It's been lurking under sandwich materials, or serving as the occasional snack.

20211124_060754.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Back to Llano again. It already seems ages ago, but the town is so lovely I hate to let it go.

There are a LOT of restaurants in Llano, more I think than when we first started coming, although one of our old favorites has closed. (That couple retired after 40 years. They deserved it!) All these places are downtown, across the street from the courthouse square. 

I'm told that Gio's is quite good, and that they recently got a license so they could serve wine. Their menu looks interesting. I'd like to eat there at some point.

20211124_045813.jpg

20211121_154000-1.jpg

20211121_152819.jpg

On the same block are Joe's, which I'm told has marvelous burgers and onion rings; an ice cream parlor, and another restaurant or two.20211121_153819-1.jpg

There are at least two brew pubs. There was also Badu 1891, serving "Authentic Texas Cuisine" and having both indoor seating and a charming outdoor garden. They were pretty pricey and I don't remember much about the food...it looked good on the menu, but I think the prices put us off. They don't seem to have survived the pandemic. Their Facebook page says "closed until further notice". 

All that said we do love the Texas 'cue as demonstrated in Llano...so it was brisket and ribs and a world-class ribeye, purchased in gluttonous chunks and then used as elements in home cooking as we've come along the road.

20211124_052454.jpg

20211124_052632.jpg

We still have brisket! I mistreated it a couple of nights ago, in an attempt to warm it gently that ran far too long. It still tastes good although the texture has suffered. Last night was going to be brisket tacos, but I ran out of steam and we had pea stew from the freezer instead. I was too tired to take pictures.

20211124_045034.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1