• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Camping, Princess Style

Marlene

3 hours ago, DesertTinker said:

So, who plays what?  I see a violin(?) in the top right pic, and a guitar in the lower left pic. I might have missed it, but I don’t think I have seen mention of either of you playing an instrument.

We both play guitar and sing; it was one of the first connections we made when we met. Since then I've taken up the fiddle. I haven't mentioned the music (except possibly in the context of singing around the campfire while we're cooking) because it isn't particularly related to the culinary arts. There is a small culinary connection, though: when I'm home, I play in a weekly jam session that gets free beer for our efforts. :) 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Lucky you! Neither of us are musically gifted. I just noticed the fiddle in one of the pictures, then when editing for my reply, saw the guitar, that’s what piqued my interest. Also I felt it was okay since this is a somewhat “off topic” kind of thread.

• Like 3

We went grocery shopping yesterday. We didn't need much, but we were out of breakfast fruit and half-and-half. Lowe's is a largish store with generally a good selection, and always friendly people. The one thing I haven't been able to find since we hit the road is our preferred peanut butter, and it puzzles me. Skippy Natural Chunky seems to be unpopular in this part of the country: creamy style, yes; the regular Skippy chunky, yes; there are plenty of other peanut butter brands but he doesn't like the kinds that separate and I don't like the sweetened ones.

20191109_103854.jpg

Note the huge variety of oils, both in size and type. This is turkey-fryer country as well as barbecue country. You can buy the grills, deep-fry rigs, wood chunks, ... everything you need for those sorts of feasts...at this store.

The meat selection is good too, but we admired without purchasing. We wonder why one would want the deckle fat removed for a brisket, and what happens to that fat.

20191109_104141.jpg

I enjoyed seeing this do-it-yourself kit: everything you need to make your own jalapeno poppers!

20191108_135943.jpg

One unusual thing about this store is the way it caters to hunters. Deer season opened last weekend -- maybe it was big-game season period, since I overheard a woman dressed in blaze pink(!) camo talking about trying to call in a hog. At any rate, you can get almost everything you need for the hunt, or for fishing, at this grocery store.

20191109_102240.jpg

Most of our purchase became breakfast for the next several days.

20191109_100921.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Here's the last Lone Star bottle cap. 

20191109_103455.jpg

• Like 2

My darling loves to have a shot of Scotch or bourbon in the evenings. Somehow, in all the packing-up for the trip, we neglected to notice that his glass had migrated into the house. He's been making do with an oversized glass ;) but I decided to walk into town to find something better, and to see what was new or how my old favorite stores were faring.

First stop: Charlie's Furniture and Gifts. I've written before about Charlie's and managed to pick up some good kitchen wares there over the years. Sure enough, they had some nice barware. I picked this glass.

20191109_101358.jpg

From there I wandered along the streets, noticing a small craft brewhouse (new) and an Italian restaurant that has replaced a burger joint. I resolutely stayed away from any place that might sell cookbooks...even the library, with its book sale. 

Scenes seen around the Courthouse Square:

20191109_123716.jpg

(I love these old stone buildings)

20191108_163125.jpg

Signs of a laid-back community

20191109_123551.jpg

On the way back, I wandered into a thrift store. I already had the glass I sought, but one never knows what treasures might be found. (It never hurts to look, does it? :rolleyes:)

I spotted this enameled-steel pan, that looks like it would be perfect for a terrine, or small lasagne, or possibly bread. Any information about it would be welcome.

20191108_172238.jpg

At about that time, the owner greeted me and noted that all kitchen wares were half price.

20191109_101134.jpg

Then I spotted the glassware that we/he really needed. It was a set of 5. She wouldn't break up the set. On the other hand, the entire set was marked as $2.50.

Here's the haul that I brought back to the trailer. One glass from the set is missing from the photo, as it was already in my darling's hand.

20191109_101529.jpg

Total price: $2.44, counting tax.

I guess I should have gone there first, but he says he also likes the "Big Shot" glass from Charlie's. He'll save it for special occasions.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

The small "loaf pan" looks like an insert for an electric turkey roaster with a buffet service adapter; an adapter usually hold 3 inserts. We haven't used ours in a very long time. Maybe for Thanksgiving this year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

9 hours ago, Smithy said:

We went grocery shopping yesterday. We didn't need much, but we were out of breakfast fruit and half-and-half. Lowe's is a largish store with generally a good selection, and always friendly people. The one thing I haven't been able to find since we hit the road is our preferred peanut butter, and it puzzles me. Skippy Natural Chunky seems to be unpopular in this part of the country: creamy style, yes; the regular Skippy chunky, yes; there are plenty of other peanut butter brands but he doesn't like the kinds that separate and I don't like the sweetened ones.

20191109_103854.jpg

My favorite peanut butter is Jif Natural Creamy.  Shoprite stopped carrying it.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

34 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Smithy

have you even posted full shots of the exterior of the " Camper " ?

I'm not sure I have! This photo from Llano shows the whole rig, but not very clearly. I'll add a better one next time we open out.

20191107_083800.jpg

• Like 7

On 11/7/2019 at 1:00 PM, Smithy said:

I haven't been terribly interested in beer lately, for some strange reason, but felt obligated to buy a 6-pack of Lone Star Beer since we're in Texas. It's a light lager, with (in my current mood) not a heck of a lot of character, but it does have those fun rebus bottle caps. Here's the first one I opened, and I thought it pretty easy. What do you get? 

20191107_125403.jpg

The second one took me a bit longer and, to be honest, this magnified picture to make out what I was seeing.

20191107_125454.jpg

On 11/8/2019 at 9:13 AM, Smithy said:

Here's another Lone Star rebus. My intent, unless someone asks otherwise, is to give the answers after we've left the area and are done with this six-pack.

20191108_075824.jpg

On 11/8/2019 at 9:15 AM, Smithy said:

Here are two more Lone Star rebuses from last night...we're down to a single bottle now. 

20191108_075941.jpg

20191108_080034.jpg

22 hours ago, Smithy said:

Here's the last Lone Star bottle cap. 

20191109_103455.jpg

So, has anyone gotten all the rebuses? If so, post away! Otherwise I'll do so later today.

I found all the others easy, but I confess the first is still opaque to me. I'm sure I'll facepalm once you've given the answer.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

2 hours ago, chromedome said:

I found all the others easy, but I confess the first is still opaque to me. I'm sure I'll facepalm once you've given the answer.

It's funny, I thought that was one of the easiest, but it seems to have eluded a lot of people (and 

@blue_dolphin was SO close!). Here, I've rotated it for a better perspective. See if this helps.

20191110_095909.jpg

Edited by Smithy
Corrected the shout-out to blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Shelby said:

4. Two birds in the bush?  (Is that a thing?)

5. Welcome to the club

6.  The last part is "lightly" but I can't figure the first out

I think the "two birds in a bush" goes along with "a bird in the hand is better than two birds in a bush", but that would have been much much too long for the bottle cap. Just as "2 peas in a pod" would have been clearer if they'd stuck a "like" or "as alike as" in front of it.

The last one was the toughest for me. I've heard the expression, but can't think in which context.

• Thanks 1

I got them all except for the peas in a pod. I'm guessing those black, rectangular shapes are P's, although I still can't really make them out. 

11 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I think the "two birds in a bush" goes along with "a bird in the hand is better than two birds in a bush", but that would have been much much too long for the bottle cap.

I've certainly heard people say the first part of that phrase, "A bird in the hand...." and let the rest be implied but I've never heard anyone say, "Two in the bush," alone. 

9 minutes ago, Smithy said:

The last one was the toughest for me. I've heard the expression, but can't think in which context.

That last one was something my mom would say.  As in, "I only had time to give it a lick and a promise." 

• Like 2

6 is "Once over lightly."

I guess I was just overthinking number 1...

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Here's a clearing-out-stuff dinner. 1 carnival squash, some leftover pepper stuffing from the freezer (sausage, corn, tomato, onion, who knows what else) stuffed into the halves. Topped with shredded cheese (leftovers from a dinner party). Baked until the squash was soft, topped with more cheese at the last.

20191110_093740.jpg

We needed easy today. Lots of miles driven, and yet another flat tire! At least this time we caught it before it started to shred.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

On 11/19/2018 at 12:46 PM, FauxPas said:

For Prickly Pear juice, a man I know just freezes the tuna (fruit). After harvesting, he freezes them for 48 hours, then leaves them on top of a triple-cheesecloth-lined colander over a pot and they break down as they thaw and the juice collects in the pot. He applies some pressure to increase the yield, if necessary, then does a final straining through a coffee filter. (This is also a method that is recommended in Eat Mesquite and More.)

We're not in town at optimal harvest time and we have a cactus ranch nearby which sells the pure juice, unsweetened. Arizona Cactus Ranch sells their Prickly Pear nectar in a few different stores around town. It's pricey, but we find a small amount can go quite a long way.  

Here is his graphic of the process:

646884173_PricklyPearJuicebyFreezing.thumb.jpg.896da0e3a6f006cb014d409857fa59a9.jpg

Well, look what's in full fruit at our campground!

20191111_092120.jpg

The prickly pear juice I was able to buy last spring was / is good, but already sweetened.  Someone -- @heidih? @blue_dolphin? -- had asked about the taste of the juice. Now I'll have a chance to find out. How I'll jam a bag full of these things into the freezer is a good question, but I'll figure it out.

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Well, look what's in full fruit at our campground!

20191111_092120.jpg

The prickly pear juice I was able to buy last spring was / is good, but already sweetened.  Someone -- @heidih? @blue_dolphin? -- had asked about the taste of the juice. Now I'll have a chance to find out. How I'll jam a bag full of these things into the freezer is a good question, but I'll figure it out.

Hmmm.  That no-touch method of juicing that @FauxPas shared looks pretty good.  Maybe I should bring a pair of tongs out on my walks and grab some of these.  I could make some prickly pear popsicles, no?

• Like 4