• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Camping, Princess Style

Marlene

2 hours ago, Smithy said:

I2. What do you do with something like this dip to tone down rampageous heat? Sour cream or other dairy didn't seem the right way to go. 

I have had success with some lemon or lime juice and a boatload of an herb like parsley or cilantro or adding tomato paste which is sweet.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Smithy said:

We wandered the nearby town of Rodeo, NM yesterday for a short time.

Ah, I spent time in Rodeo about 10 years ago.  I really liked that tiny place.  It's a damn shame the Tavern is now closed.  The walls are covered with the most entertaining figures from a traveling artist who needed to work off his bar bill, in the 40's or 50's I think.  His name was Chas. Campbell.  The art was quite risque for the Mormon ranchers and the children were expressly told to not look at the walls when there were community events held in the Tavern I was told by a longtime local. LOL.

signature.jpg

Rodeo tavern wall 5A.jpg

Rodeo Tavern wall.jpg

Rodeo Tavern wall 5.jpg

Rodeo Tavern wall 4.jpg

Rodeo Tavern wall 3.jpg

Rodeo Tavern wall 2.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

Ah, I spent time in Rodeo about 10 years ago.  I really liked that tiny place.  It's a damn shame the Tavern is now closed.  The walls are covered with the most entertaining figures from a traveling artist who needed to work off his bar bill, in the 40's or 50's I think.  His name was Chas. Campbell.  The art was quite risque for the Mormon ranchers and the children were expressly told to not look at the walls when there were community events held in the Tavern I was told by a longtime local. LOL.

signature.jpg

Rodeo tavern wall 5A.jpg

Rodeo Tavern wall.jpg

Rodeo Tavern wall 5.jpg

Rodeo Tavern wall 4.jpg

Rodeo Tavern wall 3.jpg

Rodeo Tavern wall 2.jpg

What a great story! Thanks for that, and thanks even more for the pictures!

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Last night's dinner was worthy of the Freezer Challenge topic, and I posted about it there. Still, I'd like to crow a bit more about how well it all turned out. My tortilla casseroles in the Instant Pot have been all over the map - some good, some more like soups - since we discussed it last fall and it was too dry. However, I'm starting to have some confidence in my ability to do enchiladas in a baking dish.

20190408_100525.jpg

I filmed a pan with cooking spray and gently browned the flour tortillas, one at a time. After each tortilla was browned slightly (one got almost crunchy, but I saved it) I rolled some of the stuffing into it tightly and laid it into a baking dish. I think I'd filmed the dish with spray too.

20190408_100850.jpg

Once the dish was full of tightly-rolled tortillas, the remaining pepper stuffing went in at the ends of the dish to (a) fill the space and (b) save my having to refreeze a small amount. The enchilada sauce went over the lot; the grated cheese (a mix of that chipotle gouda and cheddar) went over it all. I baked it at 350F for maybe 1/2 hour, covered, then another quarter or half hour until the cheese was browned and we were ready to eat.

20190408_100934.jpg

This was gratifying!

20190407_211342.jpg

Not only did I eliminate two freezer containers, but this was one of the rare times we didn't need any embellishments at the table. I'd set out sour cream, salsa and more cheese. None of it was needed. A green garnish (chopped cilantro or parsley) might have made it look prettier, but we didn't think it would taste any better. Best of all was the crunchy crust at the bottom and edges.

20190408_101412.jpg

Now, if I can duplicate that stuffing, this won't be a one-shot wonder. xD

20190408_111747.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

We intended to go to Hatch, New Mexico, while we were staying in Columbus this week. I'm getting low on Hatch chiles and have counted on the trip north to get more. We also wanted to go to a recommended restaurant for their take on green chile cheeseburgers.

Our pickup had to take precedence: an error message that appeared when we were leaving Tucson wouldn't clear on its own. We made an appointment in Deming, about 30 miles north of Columbus and some 60 miles southwest of Hatch. The plan was to go to Deming, get the truck fixed; go to Hatch, have lunch and get more chiles and chile powder; return to Deming and get groceries, and go home.

That was the plan. It became the plan-gone-awry. The truck repairs took much longer than we'd expected. When they finally got us in, an hour after our appointed time, we accepted their offer of a shuttle to Walmart for grocery shopping. That wasn't where we preferred to shop, but it was the closest possibility. We picked up Subway sandwiches while there also. So much for Sparky's burgers in Hatch!

By the time the truck was repaired, the wind storm was so furious that the nearby freeway was likely to be closed. We didn't need the freeway, but we were concerned that the road south, back to Columbus, would also close. We stopped at Pepper's, our preferred grocer, and grabbed things we couldn't get at Walmart. I got this consolation prize:

20190411_123202.jpg

A 1-pound bag cost approximately the same as the 5-pound bags I got in Hatch at the last visit. I forgot to look for ground Hatch chile powder while we were there.

I also picked up a couple of interesting-looking bottles of wine. Here's one.

20190412_114428.jpg

We headed home. Here's what it looked like - in town, going south, and at sunset.

20190412_115125.jpg

The gusts carried dust from plowed fields and dirt roads, so heavily that we nearly had to stop a couple of times. (A local told us they call it "swapping land" because all the dirt blowing to the next county will come back when the wind reverses!) We could see the reduced-visibility stretches easily enough before we got into them. We made it home safely, and were glad to be there. The wine tasted darned good with dinner that night.

20190412_115313.jpg

It blew like that for 3 days. We haven't done much sightseeing. I made broccoli salad (you've seen that before) using my new-favorite technique for cooking bacon (microwave). I also made a Cauliflower Mascarpone Mash from the Cauliflower Power article in the latest issue of Fine Cooking. They claim you'll never miss mashed potatoes once you've done this. We'll see!

20190412_115537.jpg

• Like 9

WOW!!  Imagine how it looked during the dustbowl time?  Don't rush north anytime soon....

Too bad you missed that Hatch green chile burger but I'm sure you will figure out something....😀

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

3 miles south of Columbus, just the other side of the US / Mexico border, lies the town of Palomas. Today's weather was cool, and it threatened to rain, but we decided to go visit The Pink Store anyway. It's quite the place: painted a shocking pink outside, and colorful with wares inside. The sights begin at the door.

20190412_183138.jpg

When we arrived, a musical trio was serenading the diners with lively music. We enjoyed listening to them while we browsed the store. The place is packed with goods from Mexico and Central America, and one could spend hours looking if one wished. It's important to look up and down as well as at eye level.

20190412_174911.jpg

20190412_175018.jpg

There are, of course, dishes and table linens as well as decorative doodads, lights, clothing, purses, toys, pottery...miniatures and immense sculptures.

20190412_175557.jpg

20190412_140456.jpg

20190412_175414.jpg

I have some drinking glasses and a large salad bowl of the style shown above: clear glass with a blue rim. A few years ago I passed up the opportunity to buy some matching small salad bowls. I've never seen them since. If they'd been available today, I might have bought some. As it was, there wasn't serious temptation to buy anything. (When I said so to my darling, he checked my forehead to see if I had a fever!)

We sat down in the restaurant. It's been expanded quite a bit since our last visit.

20190412_174308.jpg

We were treated to music after we ordered. They asked if we had any requests. In my broken Spanish, I asked them (at least, I hope it's what I asked them) to sing the song they most love to sing. Much to my surprise, they trotted out "Cielito Lindo". I like the song, but would have guessed it to be such an old standard that they'd be sick of it!

We pondered the menu and noshed on chips and salsa and pico de gallo.

20190412_173745.jpg

Eventually we ordered: chiles rellenos for me, hamburguesa con rajas (green chile cheese burger) for him, guacamole for us both. Margaritas for each of us.

20190412_174433-1.jpg

The portions were generous.

20190412_173435.jpg

The margaritas were decidedly moreish. We resisted. We won't need to eat much, or cook anything, tonight.

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

I'd love to try the Squash Flower soup.  I had Squash Flower crepes in Mexicali with Huitlacoche soup.  I think about that meal often.   The delicacy of the flavors were wonderful.   Don't get me wrong, I like a good Sonoran style burro or enchilada, I just wish those other flavors of Mexico would catch on here.  

We had some access to good Mexico City style food, but that chain seems to have given up the ghost lately.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lemniscate said:

I'd love to try the Squash Flower soup.  I had Squash Flower crepes in Mexicali with Huitlacoche soup.  I think about that meal often.   The delicacy of the flavors were wonderful.   Don't get me wrong, I like a good Sonoran style burro or enchilada, I just wish those other flavors of Mexico would catch on here.  

We had some access to good Mexico City style food, but that chain seems to have given up the ghost lately.

I am surprised there isn't more of Mexico represented where you are...I think you're near Phoenix? I would expect more variety there. 

Looking at the poster on the door, all I could think was that "Botox Party" sounds like a band name.

• Haha 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

They might have trouble singing when their face does not move! Seriously though it is used in a variety of helpful medical procedures that matter and not beauty related. 

The blue rimmed heavy glassware is my favorite. I killed a pitcher making hibiscus (jamaica) but the bottom end broke evenly and is now a marble display dish. Much time spent in Baja...

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, heidih said:

The blue rimmed heavy glassware is my favorite. I killed a pitcher making hibiscus (jamaica) but the bottom end broke evenly and is now a marble display dish. Much time spent in Baja...

That's a brilliant way to deal with the broken pitcher! I had one that I bought in Duluth from some import shop, but unfortunately it leaked at the bottom where the blowing-rod would have been detached. Eventually I stopped using it as a decorative piece and gave it away. I also had a blown-glass pitcher that I inherited from my parents, that developed a crack at the handle. I think it's gone too.

I looked hard at these and considered adding a pitcher to my collection:

20190413_105416.jpg

In truth, we throw few parties for which it could be used, and I'd have trouble figuring out where to put it when it wasn't in use. Maybe after I've done some housecleaning I'll have room. :) 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

I LOVE that blue rimmed glass ware.  I have a couple of wine glasses that I love.  I'd have a hard time passing on some of that stuff :) 

Was there sauce under the chiles rellenos?

If I were good for more than one or two margaritas per year I might have considered these:

20190413_105317.jpg

I laughed when our margaritas arrived at the table. Scroll back up, and you'll see that they didn't use these classic glasses!

There was a sauce under the chiles rellenos, although it isn't mentioned in the menu. Colorado enchilada sauce, I think? It had just a touch of heat. You can see it better in this close-up shot:

20190412_144917.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Since I'm on the topic of blue-rimmed glassware, I'll point out a new style added to their wares in the last year or two:

20190413_105624.jpg

These are full-sized (12 oz? 16?) tumblers.

This is the one set that didn't tempt me even a little. Imagine trying to drink out of these, or clean them! Imagine trying to set them down without toppling them, after a beer or three had been quaffed!

20190413_105717.jpg

They were available last year when we visited, so somebody must be buying them...I suppose they'd make for a great party game.

• Like 2

In my next life, or maybe my next dining room, I am going to paint the walls that perfect shade of dark pink. And maybe get a set of those Agave dishes to go with.  How fun is that! I miss New Mexico food, but when it comes to green chile burgers, as long as you have some roasted hatch chiles you can make the best ones yourself with good beef and an outdoor grill.  Squash flower soup sounds fabulous right now, but definitely before going out to the Botox party , so at least your happiness over the soup will show. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Smithy said:

Since I'm on the topic of blue-rimmed glassware, I'll point out a new style added to their wares in the last year or two:

20190413_105624.jpg

I love the water goblets at the top left of this photo. I have a pair of wineglasses hand-blown by a local artisan with a pattern similar to that all the way down to the stem. The water goblets would go beautifully with them on a dinner table setting.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

They are beautiful. I have a little cordial glass with that pattern that I use it as a bud vase. It's another style I wouldn't mind having, but our wedding goblets are clear cobalt blue, and I love them too. Too bad I didn't get a better closeup, but here's what I have:

20190413_165332.jpg

• Like 1

Last night's dinner was breaded, baked chicken thighs; broccoli salad; and the cauliflower mascarpone mash I mentioned earlier from Fine Cooking. I'm not sure I agree with the article that I'd never miss mashed potatoes with this as a substitute, but it was pretty darned good. I'll do it again.

20190413_230312.jpg

A little grocery store in Columbus, that I haven't bothered to photograph, has a surprising selection of frozen goods - better than I'd expected, based on their small selection of fresh produce. We went in yesterday to stock up on beer. I couldn't resist buying these:

20190413_134043.jpg

I keep running across recipes for nopalitos but not getting around to cooking the cactus paddle bits that I bought until they were starting to go off. These frozen bits can hold until I'm ready to use them. The mango bits will come in useful for a mango salsa, either with Mexican food or with some of the Indian and Thai curries I've admired. Suggestions for either of these items are welcome! 

We're on the road today, headed eastward (and, incidentally, out of cell coverage). It's tough to catch good photos from the windshield, but we've noticed over the past few years that this "Christmas tree" gets more colorful each time.

20190414_122059.jpg

Our road food includes hard-boiled eggs, cheese and crackers, but as i write this we've managed to have an austere breakfast:

20190414_121739.jpg

We've been indulging our appetites much, much too much this trip. It's time to make some changes.

See you in a few days!

Edited by Smithy
Minor wording changes (log)
  • Like 6

For me, nopales is best with tomatillos.  Tomatillos are supposed to help with the okra-like sliminess that nopales can have when stewed.  I use this as a side for roasted, shredded pork.  Do not forget the crumbled queso fresco or cotija for the topping.

https://pinaenlacocina.com/2014/05/15/nopalitos-con-rajas-en-salsa-verde-cactus-with-roasted-green-chiles-in-tomatillo-salsa/

• Thanks 1

In reponse to my kvetching about the Joule, 

On 3/23/2019 at 11:21 AM, FauxPas said:

I've had a few glitches using Joule but most of them were due to new phones, new WiFi, new/additional Joules. I find that I don't use the Joule here nearly as much as I thought I would, so haven't been testing it much lately.

I can make the usual troubleshooting suggestions but you have probably already seen them and tried them. There is a ton of information for troubleshooting the Joule's connections on the website, so I'd say problems aren't all that unusual, unfortunately. 

Boring stuff:

- check app version (should be 2.66.5) to update, see here

- check firmware (should be 105.82) - to update, see here

<snip>

I'm happy to report that I used the Joule successfully yesterday for 3 separate cooks, with no trouble. It may be because the firmware and app have both been updated. It may be that I've finally figured out that I have to turn the Joule on before launching the app. At least, that's how I did it yesterday, and it all went smoothly.

20190421_125845.jpg

The chicken breasts received two different spice treatments, and I used 145F (working my way toward Shelby's numbers) for 2:15. We'll be set for sandwich meat and chicken salad until we get home. The lamb was cooked at 125F for 1:30 in my standard Greek-ish marinade. I'll plan to rewarm it, then give it a quick sear on a pan or a grill, depending on when I cook it.

How nice to have a trouble-free experience with the Joule!

• Like 8

I found some ripe prickly pear fruit! I only took a small sample because I didn't actually see anyone from whom to ask permission. They probably wouldn't have cared, since there's a significant number of tunas on the ground - but still. I settled for just three. 

20190421_103052-1.jpg

They're in the freezer now. If I manage to get juice out of this paltry sampling, I'll report back on the taste and tartness.

• Like 4

I've written before about Lone Star Beer. To be honest, I buy it more for the bottle caps than the flavor, but it's become a tradition for us: when in Texas, we have to buy at least one 6-pack of the stuff so we can enjoy the puzzles.  Here are two. Can you make out what they say?

20190420_200229.jpg

20190420_192820.jpg

• Like 5