• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Camping, Princess Style

Marlene

The successes were largely what start as one-shot wonders: things I make up on the spot, and then may or may not be able to reproduce. I try. I write down what I did as soon as we realize that it's a hit. Sometimes I succeed in reproducing it later. More often, I have v.1, v.2, v.3 and so on, never quite the same.

During one of our stops with prolonged electricity I made good use of the Instant Pot and the Joule. I had a B-S chicken breast that had been partly cooked sous vide (1 hour at 149F). It was at the lightly-cooked stage. I pressure-cooked pinto beans in the IP; drained them and then added the chicken (cut into bite-sized chunks, minus the pieces I filched) along with some Hatch green chiles and their juices, some torn-up tortillas (whole wheat, because that's what I had) and some grated cheese.  Then I slapped the lid on, closed the vent, and pressure cooked for 11 minutes with a cool-down before natural release. (I had intended 10 minutes of cool-down, but it ended up being about 18.) 

We were both delighted, although the casserole had a bit more free liquid than I'd intended due to my inclusion of all the juices from those frozen-then-thawed chiles. The chicken was a bit overcooked. I think that with this pressure-cooking treatment the chicken really didn't need to have been cooked ahead of time. I'll try it again sometime, and if I like the results I'll post in the Instant Pot topic.

Another success was inspired by the first margarita I've had in years. It was so delectable, and I so like tequila chicken pasta, that I decided to try a sous vide tequila chicken. The juice of a Mexican lime and a Persian lime, a splash of tequila, and half a chicken breast (one of those sumo-wrestler chickens) all went into the bath at 149F for 2 hours, which gives me the preferred flavor and texture of chicken breast. It was brilliant. After the chicken was cooked it went into quesadillas and onto salads. I've done another such chicken breast - a full one, this time - but not broken into it yet. If it works, I'll post about it in the sous vide topic.

20180428_123058.jpg

The biggest surprise - and this one does seem to be repeatable - is what I named "Use-it-or-lose-it" salsa. I had cherry tomatoes, tomatillos, ripe bell peppers, green onions and jalapenos all languishing in the refrigerator. There wasn't much more time to use them. They all went into the skillet (the tomatoes after everything else had begun to soften)  until it cooked down. Then I used it with some smoked beef sausage that had been browned in the skillet. 

20180413_163943-2.jpg

The salsa alone was so good that my darling insisted I write down RIGHT THEN what I had done.

20180413_165740-2.jpg

He also insisted that the salsa was so good it didn't need meat. Indeed, he ate most of the rest from a bowl, as a snack.That didn't keep him from wanting meat the next time I made it, but we both agreed later that the meat was unnecessary. Especially these particular sausage links, whose main attribute is that they're cheap.

20180426_102930.jpg

This one (without the stupid tube steaks) is going into my permanent recipe file. The others, as I've said, I'll post in relevant topics if they are repeatable.

If not - well, maybe I'll start a topic about One-Shot Wonders: the meals that can never be reproduced. xD
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I'm very fond of hibisus tea served cold dueing the summer. If you still have access to bulk bins in Hisspanic markes you might grab a few handfuls - usually labeled jamaica. Super cheap. I simmer up a pot of concetrated "tea" and store in a jar in fridge. Then mix  with water, ice, and sweetener to taste for individual servings. The concentrate keeps several weeks in fridge. Just the color is refreshing on a sweltering day!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, heidih said:

I'm very fond of hibisus tea served cold dueing the summer. If you still have access to bulk bins in Hisspanic markes you might grab a few handfuls - usually labeled jamaica. Super cheap. I simmer up a pot of concetrated "tea" and store in a jar in fridge. Then mix  with water, ice, and sweetener to taste for individual servings. The concentrate keeps several weeks in fridge. Just the color is refreshing on a sweltering day!

That was more or less what I had in mind, but I thought the bags might be more convenient. I was wrong. Thanks for the tip about the Hispanic markets, and looking for "jamaica" as an alternative name. 

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

20180428_175344.jpg

We'll be home tomorrow. These are the sights we saw today - and yes, that's ice on a lake at the lower right. We stopped for the night about two hours from home. We're set to arrive early in the morning, when our dirt road should still be frozen hard. It'll be soft and muddy later in the afternoon.

I'll be glad to get home. My darling is not crazy about leaving the warmth of the southern states, but he too is looking forward to this journey's end. When we travel every day as we do at the beginning and end of these trips, the garage/dining room stays packed for travel. The remaining living space is much smaller. For instance, here's our "travel" dining table, which folds and stows when we're traveling. It's too small to accommodate a small bouquet and our dinner fixings, but it still takes up most of the floor space when it's open. The sofa to the right of the table, and the door to the back garage, give some scale.

20180424_193914.jpg

I found a final bottle of Lone Star beer in our stash, and the rebus inside the bottle cap is a fun one. Can you read it?

20180428_174831.jpg

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Hive cot my hide over u - I've got my eye over you?

So close! 

eta: try for a song. This one is stuck in my head now.

Edited by Smithy
Edited to add hint (log)

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

So close! 

eta: try for a song. This one is stuck in my head now.

Looks like there are two songs - 'I've got my eye on you' and 'I've got my eyes on you'

Wrong preposition. Think of another word for hide...

...and are you a Cole Porter fan?

Ah...it would be "I've got you under my skin."

(Yeah, I love Cole Porter)

• Like 7

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 minute ago, chromedome said:

Ah...it would be "I've got you under my skin."

(Yeah, I love Cole Porter)

There you go! 

Thanks for playing, Kerry and Chromedome!

• Like 3

On 4/26/2018 at 7:26 PM, Smithy said:

And now, for a smashing success... @Jaymes and I met up for lunch!

Just now getting a chance to respond.  What a great report, Smithy. And what grand luck I had that you were in my neck o' the Central Texas woods.  Meeting other eGullet folk has been one of the best delights of my recent geriatric life.  Without exception, each one has been knowledgeable, friendly, personable and enjoyable.  Not a dud in the bunch.  And tops on that list is Smithy.  Let me tell you, any of you that have an opportunity to meet her should grab it eagerly.  She is a brilliant, fascinating, deeply-intelligent woman.  It felt as though I were sitting down to dine with Marie Curie or Amelia Earheart or something. Oh, and the food was good, too!

Edited by Jaymes (log)
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Your way with words always make following your travels fun and enlightening.  Thanks for once again taking us with you.

• Thanks 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

• 6 months later...

LOL My GF and I camped a month or so ago, but it was in the back of a plain ol' Chrysler minivan. I suppose we can call it "princess" camping though, because there was a feather bed over the air mattress and a down duvet over us. :P

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

17 hours ago, chromedome said:

LOL My GF and I camped a month or so ago, but it was in the back of a plain ol' Chrysler minivan. I suppose we can call it "princess" camping though, because there was a feather bed over the air mattress and a down duvet over us. :P

We met up with a British couple a few years ago who rented a minivan and toured the American Southwest for 3 months. The van had a mattress spread over the floor in the middle. The back doors opened to reveal a small sink and stovetop. They saw a lot that we can't with our unit, due to the size of our trailer, but by the end of the rental period they couldn't WAIT to get back to a hotel for a few days before flying home!

• Like 2

On 11/4/2018 at 10:56 AM, blue_dolphin said:

I'm wondering if it's time to resurrect this thread?

Yep, we've spent 4 nights on the road and tonight we're staying put. So far we've gone from post-Hallowe'en fall...

20181105_105347.jpg

(I should have realized epicurean would have a factory outlet!  How have I missed it all this time?)

...to summery temperatures and juniper in fruit...

20181105_090535.jpg

...with a lovely, fortuitous stop to meet @kayb at her favorite diner!

More later, as I get my pictures and stories organized.

20181103_135816.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

When my hairdresser and partner sold their biz which was a biz downstairs and living upstairs ( an out of the blue cash offer because of a 1031 exchange that had 10 days to close )  they bought a very small van type motor home and decided to hit all the continental states in a year. They had a blast and motorhome stilll used alot. They ate well. Thanks for sharing your  food from various locales. 

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1