• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Smithy

Smithy

Replaced "quintessential" -- a lovely word, but not right here -- with "stereotypically dull". Also elaborated on bbq sauce.

Ribs again last night. I feel as though I'm showing the stereotypically dull "family vacation" slide show: "and here we are, standing in front of the Washington Monument...and here we are, standing by the Jefferson Memorial..." with nary a change. I did one thing different yesterday: sliced Yukon Gold potatoes and put them under the ribs, with the typical 1/2 cup or so of water in the bottom of the pan. It made for a one-pot dinner (except the greens we'd eaten earlier) but didn't really do the potatoes any good. They were done, but I think that so much water prevented them from absorbing much of the pork juices.

20230318_081413.jpg

He complained that I hadn't put enough barbecue sauce on during the cooking. I left it off mine altogether. Now that he's settled on a favorite of the ones we've opened, I'm going to start adjusting the other one to my tastes.

Smithy

Smithy

Replaced "quintessential" -- a lovely word, but not right here -- with "stereotypically dull"

Ribs again last night. I feel as though I'm showing the stereotypically dull "family vacation" slide show: "and here we are, standing in front of the Washington Monument...and here we are, standing by the Jefferson Memorial..." with nary a change. I did one thing different yesterday: sliced Yukon Gold potatoes and put them under the ribs, with the typical 1/2 cup or so of water in the bottom of the pan. It made for a one-pot dinner (except the greens we'd eaten earlier) but didn't really do the potatoes any good. They were done, but I think that so much water prevented them from absorbing much of the pork juices.

20230318_081413.jpg

He complained that I hadn't put enough barbecue sauce on during the cooking. Now that he's settled on a favorite of the ones we've opened, I'm going to start adjusting the other one to my tastes.

Smithy

Smithy

Replaced "quintessential" -- a lovely word, but not right here -- with "stereotypically dull"

20230318_081413.jpg

He complained that I hadn't put enough barbecue sauce on during the cooking. Now that he's settled on a favorite of the ones we've opened, I'm going to start adjusting the other one to my tastes.

Smithy

Smithy

Ribs again last night. I feel as though I'm showing the quintessential "family vacation" slide show: "and here we are, standing in front of the Washington Monument...and here we are, standing by the Jefferson Memorial..." with nary a change. I did one thing different yesterday: sliced Yukon Gold potatoes and put them under the ribs, with the typical 1/2 cup or so of water in the bottom of the pan. It made for a one-pot dinner (except the greens we'd eaten earlier) but didn't really do the potatoes any good. They were done, but I think that so much water prevented them from absorbing much of the pork juices.

20230318_081413.jpg