• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Smithy

Smithy

Added detail about mask requirements; removed extraneous preposition

On my way out of San Diego I found a Ralph's grocery and a World Market. I was on the hunt for Berbere spice from World Market, having discovered that the blends are not all created equal. They were out. There were MASSIVE gaps in their supplies! Ralph's grocery store claimed online that they carried the Greenland feta cheese we like. We're nearly out. Unfortunately, that must be another Ralph's in San Diego. This one didn't have it.

Still, it's an impressive store and I took a few pictures to give y'all a glimpse of yet another very nice grocery store. Their cheese selection is in a special area set off by itself, and the selection is massive.

20220202_161145.jpg

I didn't photograph the deli section, which was just as large, but some of their snack sausages were near the cheeses.

20220202_161306.jpg

I confess: I'd never thought of mac 'n' cheese as being a shredded cheese mix worth buying. I still don't.

The produce area is gorgeous. This is just a very small sample:

20220202_161033.jpg

Finally, for @rotuts, here's their olive bar. Keep in mind this is Southern California, in an area where masks are requested required although shopowners have given up enforcing it. They seem to have decided that some folks are okay with serving their own and others want it already packaged.

20220202_161420.jpg

Still...no Greenland feta cheese. I bought a sandwich for the road (roasted chicken, lettuce on a very nutty whole grain bread) and hit the road.

Smithy

Smithy

Added detail about mask requirements

On my way out of San Diego I found a Ralph's grocery and a World Market. I was on the hunt for Berbere spice from World Market, having discovered that the blends are not all created equal. They were out. There were MASSIVE gaps in their supplies! Ralph's grocery store claimed online that they carried the Greenland feta cheese we like. We're nearly out. Unfortunately, that must be another Ralph's in San Diego. This one didn't have it.

Still, it's an impressive store and I took a few pictures to give y'all a glimpse of yet another very nice grocery store. Their cheese selection is in a special area set off by itself, and the selection is massive.

20220202_161145.jpg

I didn't photograph the deli section, which was just as large, but some of their snack sausages were near the cheeses.

20220202_161306.jpg

I confess: I'd never thought of mac 'n' cheese as being a shredded cheese mix worth buying. I still don't.

20220202_161033.jpg

Finally, for @rotuts, here's their olive bar. Keep in mind this is Southern California, in an area where masks are requested required although shopowners have given up enforcing it. They seem to have decided that some folks are okay with serving their own and others want it already packaged.

20220202_161420.jpg

Still...no Greenland feta cheese. I bought a sandwich for the road (roasted chicken, lettuce on a very nutty whole grain bread) and hit the road.

Smithy

Smithy

Added detail about mask requirements

Still, it's an impressive store and I took a few pictures to give y'all a glimpse of yet another very nice grocery store. Their cheese selection is in a special area set off from by itself, and the selection is massive.

20220202_161145.jpg

20220202_161306.jpg

20220202_161033.jpg

20220202_161420.jpg

Smithy

Smithy

Still, it's an impressive store and I took a few pictures to give y'all a glimpse of yet another very nice grocery store. Their cheese selection is in a special area set off from by itself, and the selection is massive.

20220202_161145.jpg

20220202_161306.jpg

20220202_161033.jpg

Finally, for @rotuts, here's their olive bar. Keep in mind this is Southern California, in an area where masks are requested. They seem to have decided that some folks are okay with serving their own and others want it already packaged.

20220202_161420.jpg