• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Smithy

Smithy

Spelling, minor word adjustments

Remember the citrus juicer I bought a couple of weeks ago at the kitchen store? Now that I'm back from visiting my friends in San Diego I've had a chance to try it out.

You may recall that its label says "rotating reamer produces more juice". I wondered how far that reamer would actually move, and whether it would make much of a difference. How far could that reamer rotate, anyway?

20210218_114936-1.jpg

The answer is that the reamer rotates maybe 10 degrees. What you do is, you rotate the grey reamer as far as it will go in one direction or the other, then start squeezing the lemon. Each grey triangle starts at the top of a notch in the bottom half of the press, and as you squeeze the triangles slide into the notches, thereby rotating the reamer. A whopping 10 degrees.

20210304_183159.jpg

20210304_183647.jpg

Is it really more effective than my tried-and-true Wear-Ever aluminum squeezer? Probably not. However, it's more compact and fits into a drawer where it's handier to reach. I do think it's more efficient than the handheld Mexican-style squeezer that everts the lemon halves.

20210306_105127.jpg

20210306_105206.jpg

It's also more convenient than that style, because it's only slightly larger but sits on the counter and contains the juice. I think someone with hand problems (I'm thinking of you, @Kim Shook) would find it easier to use because it takes less hand strength.

Is it a keeper? Yes. Easily worth the $13 I paid for it. Would it have been worth the original $26 asking price? Well, I dunno. I'm glad I don't have to think about that.

Smithy

Smithy

Remember the citrus juicer I bought a couple of weeks ago at the kitchen store? Now that I'm back from visiting my friends in San Diego I've had a chance to try it out.

You may recall that its label says "rotating reamer produces more juice". I wondered how far that reamer would actually move, and whether it would make much of a difference. How far could that reamer rotate, anyway?

20210218_114936-1.jpg

The answer is that the reamer rotates maybe 10 degrees. What you do is, you rotate the grey reamer as far as it will go in one direction or the other, then start squeezing the lemon. Each grey triangle starts at the top of a notch, and as you press down the triangles slide into the notches, thereby rotating the reamer. A whipping 10 degrees.

20210304_183159.jpg

20210304_183647.jpg

It is really more effective than my tried-and-true Wear-Ever aluminum squeezer? Probably not. However, it's more compact and fits into a drawer where it's handier to reach. I do think it's more efficient than the handheld Mexican-style squeezer that everts the lemon halves.

20210306_105127.jpg

20210306_105206.jpg

It's also more convenient than that style, because it's only slightly larger but sits on the counter and contains the juice. I think someone with hand problems (I'm thinking of you, @Kim Shook) would find it easier to use because it takes less hand strength.

Is it a keeper? Yes. Easily worth the $13 I paid for it. Would it have been worth the original $26 asking price? Well, I dunno.