• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Smithy

Smithy

Added link to schnitzel topic; removed blank lines at end of post

Thanks for the comments on the schnitzel, everyone. I'll go back to the Schnitzel Cook-Off topic and read up more before trying it again, and do something different about the coating. I'll also use fresher meat! 

Two nights ago I set a new record for late dinners, to our shared dismay. Note to self: do not start stuffing and wrapping jalapenos for the night's dinner at 7 in the evening! Dinner was eaten somewhere around 10:30 p.m. or possibly even 11. We both had to laugh at how bitterly I complain when he is cooking and we don't eat until 9! A major factor in how much I mind eating late is whether I have had a late lunch, around 3 or 4, or eaten at the classic noonish time. Another factor, I suspect, is that when I'm cooking I can snack and taste as I go. Anyway, here were the night's dragon eggs / armadillo eggs / ABT's / whatever. I cooked them inside, in the oven, and roasted a poblano for later while I was at it. I have no idea now why I didn't simply prep them for another time and then heat up leftovers.

20210303_112222.jpg

The 'eggs' were good, but a little too large for this preparation. In future I'll choose small peppers for bacon-wrapped and/or fried stuffed poppers so they can really be finger food. The large ones like this are a better choice for the casseroles we've seen in the past.

To make up for the ultra-late dinner, the next night (last night) I fired up the Instant Pot, cooked a batch of Rancho Gordo flageolet beans, and cooked Smoky White Beans with Brussels Sprouts, from a Washington Post article. My best friend and I tried this last week and liked it a lot. My darling liked it a lot last night, and not only because we ate at around 8:30. 😉 The bacon in this dish was my own addition. I don't think it was necessary, now that I've tried it that way.

20210304_064750.jpg

The only thing I don't like about this recipe is that it starts by cutting the sprouts in half and browning them in oil, cut side down, then turning them. I first saw this trick in one of @Franci's posts a few years ago, and to my taste it helps the sprouts immeasurably. But oh, what a fiddly step it is!

See how far north the sunrise has moved! The top photo is from yesterday morning. The bottom photo is from the Winter Solstice.

20210304_065238.jpg

Smithy

Smithy

Thanks for the comments on the schnitzel, everyone. I'll go back to the schnitzel topic and read up more before trying it again, and do something different about the coating. I'll also use fresher meat! 

Two nights ago I set a new record for late dinners, to our shared dismay. Note to self: do not start stuffing and wrapping jalapenos for the night's dinner at 7 in the evening! Dinner was eaten somewhere around 10:30 p.m. or possibly even 11. We both had to laugh at how bitterly I complain when he is cooking and we don't eat until 9! A major factor in how much I mind eating late is whether I have had a late lunch, around 3 or 4, or eaten at the classic noonish time. Another factor, I suspect, is that when I'm cooking I can snack and taste as I go. Anyway, here were the night's dragon eggs / armadillo eggs / ABT's / whatever. I cooked them inside, in the oven, and roasted a poblano for later while I was at it. I have no idea now why I didn't simply prep them for another time and then heat up leftovers.

20210303_112222.jpg

The 'eggs' were good, but a little too large for this preparation. In future I'll choose small peppers for bacon-wrapped and/or fried stuffed poppers so they can really be finger food. The large ones like this are a better choice for the casseroles we've seen in the past.

To make up for the ultra-late dinner, the next night (last night) I fired up the Instant Pot, cooked a batch of Rancho Gordo flageolet beans, and cooked Smoky White Beans with Brussels Sprouts, from a Washington Post article. My best friend and I tried this last week and liked it a lot. My darling liked it a lot last night, and not only because we ate at around 8:30. 😉 The bacon in this dish was my own addition. I don't think it was necessary, now that I've tried it that way.

20210304_064750.jpg

The only thing I don't like about this recipe is that it starts by cutting the sprouts in half and browning them in oil, cut side down, then turning them. I first saw this trick in one of @Franci's posts a few years ago, and to my taste it helps the sprouts immeasurably. But oh, what a fiddly step it is!

See how far north the sunrise has moved! The top photo is from yesterday morning. The bottom photo is from the Winter Solstice.

20210304_065238.jpg