• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Smithy

Smithy

Spelling, as usual

When we did our big stocking-up shopping last week, my darling simply couldn't resist a good price on his favorite...ham. Oh, boy. Another. Ham.

It isn't that I dislike ham, it's just a lot of food for two people: as has been observed here and elsewhere, there's the Dorothy Parker quip that "eternity is two people and a ham". 

Anyway, yesterday we cooked it for the first time. It was good. Possibly a touch overdone; we cooked it in a 250F oven, pulled it at an internal temperature of 140F and of course it coasted up. Next time (I'm sure there will be) we'll pull it at 130F.

As far as I'm concerned, the bigger hit was the green beans. I boiled them until just barely done, drained them, then tossed with butter, olive oil and Vivian Howard's Little Green Dress. Delicious. Forgot to get a closeup until this morning's picture of the leftovers. He liked them too! 

We both noted that the ham, potatoes and LGD-dressed green beans all complemented each other. It's not unusual for our dinners to be so eclectic that the various elements clash with each other, or at least compete for attention instead of working together. These were very complementary.

20210111_093432.jpg

Venus and the rapidly-aging moon put on quite a show this morning.

20210111_091940.jpg

It's been blowing like stink the last 3 days. We got out walking early today before the wind came up. I'll probably spend most of today hiding inside. I need to make fruit salad, and I'll probably take down the Christmas decorations (sob) and it's my turn to cook tonight. If I run out of steam it'll be ham; otherwise, I have several recipes to choose from for delicious chicken or fish treatments.

Smithy

Smithy

When we did our big stocking-up shopping last week, my darling simply couldn't resist a good price on his favorite...ham. Oh, boy. Another. Ham.

It isn't that I dislike ham, it's just a lot of food for two people: as has been observed here and elsewhere, there's the Dorothy Parker quip that "eternity is two people and a ham". 

Anyway, yesterday we cooked it for the first time. It was good. Possibly a touch overdone; we cooked it in a 250F oven, pulled it at an internal temperature of 140F and of course it coasted up. Next time (I'm sure there will be) we'll pull it at 130F.

As far as I'm concerned, the bigger hit was the green beans. I boiled them until just barely done, drained them, then tossed with butter, olive oil and Vivian Howard's Little Green Dress. Delicious. Forgot to get a closeup until this morning's picture of the leftovers. He liked them too! 

We both noted that the ham, potatoes and LGD-dressed green beans all complimented each other. It's not unusual for our dinners to be so eclectic that the various elements clash with each other, or at least compete for attention instead of working together. These were very complementary.

20210111_093432.jpg

Venus and the rapidly-aging moon put on quite a show this morning.

20210111_091940.jpg

It's been blowing like stink the last 3 days. We got out walking early today before the wind came up. I'll probably spend most of today hiding inside. I need to make fruit salad, and I'll probably take down the Christmas decorations (sob) and it's my turn to cook tonight. If I run out of steam it'll be ham; otherwise, I have several recipes to choose from for delicious chicken or fish treatments.