• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Smithy

Smithy

Spelling

I finally got around to making a version of Armadillo Eggs. Some folks might think them indistiguinguishable from Jalapeno Poppers, when you come right down to it, but I was using guidelines from @Robb Walsh's Tex-Mex Grill and Backyard Barbacoa Cookbook (eG-friendly Amazon.com link). He called 'em Armadillo Eggs.

Right away, that book was helpful. I realized when I was setting up ingredients that I only had thick-sliced bacon. It's too thick and stiff to wrap around things easily. Well, said Robb's book, in that case you pound the bacon thinner with a meat mallet. "DUH!" I thought, "why didn't I think of that?!" I stopped slapping my forehead and grabbed the mallet. I snapped a photo halfway through to show the difference.

20201209_094235.jpg

I had some pulled pork and Neufchatel cheese from home, and barbecue sauce from Mineral Wells. I experimented with different cutting methods (cut off the ends per Robb's book, cut a slit down the sides per other sites) and experimented with the balance of ingredients in the stuffing. Some chiles had barbecue sauce, some didn't. There may have been two without pulled pork. I've forgotten now.

20201209_074527.jpg

After they were all wrapped and skewered with toothpicks to hold together, they went into the refrigerator. As it turns out, they stayed a couple of days while we had popcorn that night (no real appetite) and chili from the freezer the next (nobody felt like cooking). Last night was the big test night. It was cold and windy, so I cooked them in the oven at around 425, turning occasionally, until the bacon was crisp.

20201208_193830.jpeg

Delicious! Strangely, neither of us could tell a difference in the flavors; the bacon and cream cheese dominated everything. I'll have to do something else with that pulled pork. I think I preferred cutting a slit in the sides rather than the end, but there was only one leaker. Next time I may try breading and deep-frying these things, just to add to the calorie count.

A green salad was the other half of dinner. I'd intended to make Caesar dressing using a recipe from Schlesinger and Willoughby's Lettuce in Your Kitchen (eG-friendly Amazon.com link), but ran into a snag. I chose instead their Spicy Balsamic Vinaigrette (p. 74 in the book, if anyone else wants to try it). It's an excellent dressing, seasoned by celery seeds, coriander seeds, garlic and red pepper. I used about half the sugar they recommend, since I'm not a fan of sweet dressings, and it came out just right for my tastes.

20201209_102905.jpg

It was cold and windy here yesterday, but today isn't too bad. We may cook over the campfire. The sunrises and sunsets around here have been beautiful.

20201209_095217.jpg

Social distancing is easy around here.

Smithy

Smithy

I finally got around to making a version of Armadillo Eggs. Some folks might think them indistiguinguishable from Jalapeno Poppers, when you come right down to it, but I was using guidelines from @Robb Walsh's Tex-Mex Grill and Backyard Barbacoa Cookbook (eG-friendly Amazon.com link). He called 'em Armadillo Eggs.

Right away, that book was helpful. I realized when I was setting up ingredients that I only had thick-sliced bacon. It's too thick and stiff to wrap around things easily. Well, said Robb's book, in that case you pound the bacon thinner with a meat mallet. "DUH!" I thought, "why didn't I think of that?!" I stopped slapping my forehead and grabbed the mallet. I snapped a photo halfway through to show the difference.

20201209_094235.jpg

I had some pulled pork and Neufchatel cheese from home, and barbecue sauce from Mineral Wells. I experimented with different cutting methods (cut off the ends per Robb's book, cut a slit down the sides per other sites) and experimented with the balance of ingredients in the stuffing. Some chiles had barbecue sauce, some didn't. There may have been two without pulled pork. I've forgotten now.

20201209_074527.jpg

After they were all wrapped and skewered with toothpicks to hold together, they went into the refrigerator. As it turns out, they stayed a couple of days while we had popcorn that night (no real appetite) and chili from the freezer the next (nobody felt like cooking). Last night was the big test night. It was cold and windy, so I cooked them in the oven at around 425, turning occasionally, until the bacon was crisp.

20201208_193830.jpeg

Delicious! Strangely, neither of us could tell a different in the flavors; the bacon and cream cheese dominated everything. I'll have to do something else with that pulled pork. I think I preferred cutting a slit in the sides rather than the end, but there was only one leaker. Next time I may try breading and deep-frying these things, just to add to the calorie count.

A green salad was the other half of dinner. I'd intended to make Caesar dressing using a recipe from Schlesinger and Willoughby's Lettuce in Your Kitchen (eG-friendly Amazon.com link), but ran into a snag. I chose instead their Spicy Balsamic Vinaigrette (p. 74 in the book, if anyone else wants to try it). It's an excellent dressing, seasoned by celery seeds, coriander seeds, garlic and red pepper. I used about half the sugar they recommend, since I'm not a fan of sweet dressings, and it came out just right for my tastes.

20201209_102905.jpg

It was cold and windy here yesterday, but today isn't too bad. We may cook over the campfire. The sunrises and sunsets around here have been beautiful.

20201209_095217.jpg

Social distancing is easy around here.