• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Smithy

Smithy

Added footnote and link

2 hours ago, lemniscate said:

My guess is the olive oil might have not been a lively one for the dish.  Do you use the same brand/style consistently?

It's the same brand (California Olive Ranch, "Destination Series") but the brand itself doesn't always seem consistent. That's an interesting thought. I haven't liked the flavor of this olive oil as much as usual.

So far - and this may have to wait until I get home - I have a few controlled experiments to do, don't I? Keeping everything else constant except the olive oil; keeping everything constant except salting (or not) the water*; how long to sweat the garlic; whether to add other ingredients to give it a kick. Keeping everything the same except the pasta shape.

My darling ate the leftovers this afternoon for lunch, so there's none left for further analysis. I showed him! I found a piece of pita that did split properly, all the way, and had a couple of pork roast sandwiches. :)

20200413_180409.jpg

Seen on our afternoon walk:

20200413_181511.jpg

*I know this question generates strong opinions. This is the only topic devoted to the issue that I've been able to find, but I'm sure there was a heated debate - measurements and all - in another topic some years back. I'll try it for myself to see what we think.

Smithy

Smithy

1 hour ago, lemniscate said:

My guess is the olive oil might have not been a lively one for the dish.  Do you use the same brand/style consistently?

It's the same brand (California Olive Ranch, "Destination Series") but the brand itself doesn't always seem consistent. That's an interesting thought. I haven't liked the flavor of this olive oil as much as usual.

So far - and this may have to wait until I get home - I have a few controlled experiments to do, don't I? Keeping everything else constant except the olive oil; keeping everything constant except salting (or not) the water; how long to sweat the garlic; whether to add other ingredients to give it a kick. Keeping everything the same except the pasta shape.

My darling ate the leftovers this afternoon for lunch, so there's none left for further analysis. I showed him! I found a piece of pita that did split properly, all the way, and had a couple of pork roast sandwiches. :)

20200413_180409.jpg

Seen on our afternoon walk:

20200413_181511.jpg