• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Smithy

Smithy

spelling

Nachos for dinner last night, using the leftovers from the previous taco dinner. There were still a few taco shells, and I broke them up and supplemented them with chips. Not shown: the salsa we added at the table, and the Kilt Lifter beer to accompany.

20200411_074533.jpg

It was pretty good TV-watching food. I think I preferred the taco version, at least in part because of the fresh chopped tomatoes and shredded lettuce I'd added that time. But this scratched an itch for me, and it cleared some leftovers out of the fridge.

The saguaros are starting to pop out little buds at their tips, and I've spotted a few flowers. We won't be here (I hope!) for the fruit harvest this summer, but I have some saguaro seeds from a food festival here last fall. I can't say they have a particular flavor, but they're crunchy and make a nice bread topping. 

IMG_7129.JPGIMG_7131.JPG

There's an especially interesting saguaro near one of the paths we regularly walk.

IMG_7123.JPG

It seems a prickly pear seed managed to hitch a ride up to a woodpecker cavity, 20 or 30 feet off the ground. Won't that be a sight in a decade or so!

IMG_7124.JPG

It's supposed to rain tonight. I'm trying to decide between a slow cooker or an oven operation. We could have bean stew and cornbread. We could have pork roast. We could cook the pork brisket that is in danger of making the round trip from home without ever being thawed!

Smithy

Smithy

spelling

Nachos for dinner last night, using the leftovers from the previous taco dinner. There were still a few taco shells, and I broke them up and supplemented them with chips. Not shown: the salsa we added at the table, and the Kilt Lifter beer to accompany.

20200411_074533.jpg

It was pretty good TV-watching food. I think I preferred the taco version, at least in part because of the fresh chopped tomatoes and shredded lettuce I'd added that time. But this scratched an itch for me, and it cleared some leftovers out of the fridge.

The saguaros are starting to pop out little buds at their tips, and I've spotted a few flowers. We won't be here (I hope!) for the fruit harvest this summer, but I have some saguaro seeds from a food festival here last fall. I can't say they have a particlar flavor, but they're crunchy and make a nice bread topping. 

IMG_7129.JPGIMG_7131.JPG

There's an especially interesting saguaro near one of the paths we regularly walk.

IMG_7123.JPG

It seems a prickly pear seed managed to hitch a ride up to a woodpecker cavity, 20 or 30 feet off the ground. Won't that be a sight in a decade or so!

IMG_7124.JPG

It's supposed to rain tonight. I'm trying to decide between a slow cooker or an oven operation. We could have bean stew and cornbread. We could have pork roast. We could cook the pork brisket that is in danger of making the round trip from home without ever being thawed!

Smithy

Smithy

20200411_074533.jpg

The saguaros are starting to pop out little buds at their tips, and I've spotted a few flowers. We won't be here (I hope!) for the fruit harvest this summer, but I have some saguaro seeds from a food festival here last fall. I can't say they have a particlar flavor, but they're crunchy and make a nice bread topping. 

IMG_7129.JPGIMG_7131.JPG

IMG_7123.JPG

IMG_7124.JPG

It's supposed to rain tonight. I'm trying to decide between a slow cooker or an oven operation. We could have bean stew and cornbread. We could have pork roast. We could cook the pork brisket that is in danger of making the round trip from home without even being thawed!