• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Smithy

Smithy

Added note that pesto photo was intermediate stage.

3 hours ago, ElsieD said:

@Smithy  you have a non-electric processor that works?

Yes, and I've been quite pleased with it. I bought it (on Amazon, where else?) back in 2014: the Starfrit 093474 Swizzz Prozzz Chopper. Unfortunately it's no longer available, but there are others like it. It operates on a pull-string that rewinds, reminiscent of a salad spinner or an outboard boat motor. ("Pull harder! I'm sure it will start!" is the all-too-frequent joke around here... 9_9)

20200331_121701.jpg

This set has a wicked sharp chopper blade that I've used successfully for things like pesto and last night's salad dressing. Here's an old photo of pesto I've made in it. The photo was taken at an intermediate stage, before the nuts were added.

post-17034-0-59146200-1422573379_thumb.jpg

How finely it chops is largely a matter of how many times one wants to pull the cord, but nobody will confuse it with a Vitamix. :)  I've whipped cream and made mayonnaise in it using the whipper at the bottom right of this collage. It also works pretty well as a small-scale salad spinner, say for freshly-washed herbs.  

Smithy

Smithy

Added note that pesto photo was intermediate stage.

33 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Yes, and I've been quite pleased with it. I bought it (on Amazon, where else?) back in 2014: the Starfrit 093474 Swizzz Prozzz Chopper. Unfortunately it's no longer available, but there are others like it. It operates on a pull-string that rewinds, reminiscent of a salad spinner or an outboard boat motor. ("Pull harder! I'm sure it will start!" is the all-too-frequent joke around here... 9_9)

20200331_121701.jpg

This set has a wicked sharp chopper blade that I've used successfully for things like pesto and last night's salad dressing. Here's an old photo of pesto I've made in it. The photo was taken at an intermediate stage, before the nuts were added.

How finely it chops is largely a matter of how many times one wants to pull the string, but nobody will confuse it with a Vitamix. :)  I've whipped cream and made mayonnaise in it using the whipper at the bottom right of this collage. It also works pretty well as a small-scale salad spinner, say for freshly-washed herbs.  

Smithy

Smithy

9 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

20200331_121701.jpg

This set has a wicked sharp chopper blade that I've used successfully for things like pesto and last night's salad dressing. Here's an old photo of pesto I've made in it.

How finely it chops is largely a matter of how many times one wants to pull the string, but nobody will confuse it with a Vitamix. :)  I've whipped cream and made mayonnaise in it using the whipper at the bottom right of this collage. It also works pretty well as a small-scale salad spinner, say for freshly-washed herbs.