• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

suzilightning

suzilightning

20 hours ago, chromedome said:

LOL Yup, many old-timers (including some in my own family) insist that the only *real* use of a lobster is in potato beds, as mulch.

(Research at universities in Maine and Prince Edward Island, hotbeds of lobster-fishing and potato-growing alike, has confirmed this. Aside from bringing nutrients to the soil, the chitin in lobster shells apparently has a protective effect against scab.)

At least they don't smell as bad as menhaden I think.  They were used for corn and beans where I grew up.

suzilightning

suzilightning

20 hours ago, chromedome said:

LOL Yup, many old-timers (including some in my own family) insist that the only *real* use of a lobster is in potato beds, as mulch.

(Research at universities in Maine and Prince Edward Island, hotbeds of lobster-fishing and potato-growing alike, has confirmed this. Aside from bringing nutrients to the soil, the chitin in lobster shells apparently has a protective effect against scab.)

At least they don't smell as bad as menhaden I think.