• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Smithy

Smithy

Corrected "left" to "right" regarding collage. Duh.

I've noted before that our plans change abruptly at times. Last night we were planning to cook outside. The campfire hadn't been laid yet, but the fireplace and camp stove are ready to go. Instead, we found ourselves making an unplanned trip to town. By the time we got back (in the dark - it's surprising how much different the terrain looks by headlight!) we wanted the easiest thing we could think of, short of leftovers. Jarred spaghetti sauce supplemented with chopped onions and hot Italian sausage did the trick.

20190131_070713.jpg

I normally use one of those silicone blumen-things to prevent pasta from boiling over, but my new pasta pot has a strainer built in and I wasn't thinking clearly. Given the pattern of bubbles building and breaking against the clear glass of the lid (lower right image in the collage above) I'm glad I tried the pot lid. Isn't that a pretty pattern?

20190130_203137.jpg

I'll get back to Pismo (figuratively speaking, not literally) later today.

Smithy

Smithy

I've noted before that our plans change abruptly at times. Last night we were planning to cook outside. The campfire hadn't been laid yet, but the fireplace and camp stove are ready to go. Instead, we found ourselves making an unplanned trip to town. By the time we got back (in the dark - it's surprising how much different the terrain looks by headlight!) we wanted the easiest thing we could think of, short of leftovers. Jarred spaghetti sauce supplemented with chopped onions and hot Italian sausage did the trick.

20190131_070713.jpg

I normally use one of those silicone blumen-things to prevent pasta from boiling over, but my new pasta pot has a strainer built in and I wasn't thinking clearly. Given the pattern of bubbles building and breaking against the clear glass of the lid (lower left image in the collage above) I'm glad I tried the pot lid. Isn't that a pretty pattern?

20190130_203137.jpg

I'll get back to Pismo (figuratively speaking, not literally) later today.