• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Smithy

Smithy

added information

By the way, that link of @Darienne's led me down a fine rabbit hole to Yet Another Cookbook that I bought in anticipation of this trip. "Seasoned With Sun: Recipes from the Corner of Texas and Old Mexico" is a cookbook by the Junior League of El Paso, Inc. and it has an interesting selection of recipes.

20181126_133805.jpg

There's a Chile Relleno Souffle, a Green Chile Pie, and - yes - a Chilie (sic) Relleno Casserole, compliments of Old El Paso Company, that is the inspiration for the recipe in Darienne's link. There are numerous recipes for Chiles Rellenos, enchiladas, tamales, salsas...and that's just  in the "Mexican" section. The main part of the book is broken into the usual: Soups and Sandwiches, Entrees and so on. I am looking forward to trying "Chile en Escabeche" / "Cured Chile", which is a pickle. I thought of @Shelby when I looked at the Entree section: sure, there are plenty of chicken, beef and ham recipes, but there are also Glazed Duck with Plum Sauce, Dove Casserole, Fried Quail with Cream Gravy, Quail with Wine Sauce, and Pheasant with Brandy Cream Sauce. There are a couple of venison recipes as well. I don't have ready access to the wild birds or game any more, but if I did, I'd be trying these.

Smithy

Smithy

By the way, that link of @Darienne's led me down a fine rabbit hole to Yet Another Cookbook that I bought in anticipation of this trip. "Seasoned With Sun: Recipes from the Corner of Texas and Old Mexico" is a cookbook by the Junior League of El Paso, Inc. and it has an interesting selection of recipes.

20181126_133805.jpg

There's a Chile Relleno Souffle, a Green Chile Pie, and - yes - a Chilie (sic) Relleno Casserole, compliments of Old El Paso Company. There are numerous recipes for Chiles Rellenos, enchiladas, tamales, salsas...and that's just  in the "Mexican" section. The main part of the book is broken into the usual: Soups and Sandwiches, Entrees and so on. I am looking forward to trying "Chile en Escabeche" / "Cured Chile", which is a pickle. I thought of @Shelby when I looked at the Entree section: sure, there are plenty of chicken, beef and ham recipes, but there are also Glazed Duck with Plum Sauce, Dove Casserole, Fried Quail with Cream Gravy, Quail with Wine Sauce, and Pheasant with Brandy Cream Sauce. There are a couple of venison recipes as well. I don't have ready access to the wild birds or game any more, but if I did, I'd be trying these.