• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Smithy

Smithy

fiddling with words

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

How do you make your starter?  I have had mixed success.

The North Woods starter was begun per instructions in the conversation that began in Baking Bread from Scratch in France and continued into Establishing and Working with Homegrown Sourdough Starter. This Tucson strain I simply began from 50g all-purpose flour and 50g tap water; I refresh it by discarding half and refreshing with equal quantities of water and flour. As I look back on the original topic I see that the instructions for getting it going began with a thick paste, not specific quantities. I'd forgotten that. We'll see what happens!

Smithy

Smithy

changed "due to" to "per" for clarity...1st sentence...

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

The North Woods starter was begun per instructions the topic that began in Baking Bread from Scratch in France and continued into Establishing and Working with Homegrown Sourdough Starter. This Tucson strain I simply began from 50g all-purpose flour and 50g tap water; I refresh it by discarding half and refreshing with equal quantities of water and flour. As I look back on the original topic I see that the instructions for getting it going began with a thick paste, not specific quantities. I'd forgotten that. We'll see what happens!

Smithy

Smithy

3 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

The North Woods starter was begun due to the topic that began in Baking Bread from Scratch in France and continued into Establishing and Working with Homegrown Sourdough Starter. This Tucson strain I simply began from 50g all-purpose flour and 50g tap water; I refresh it by discarding half and refreshing with equal quantities of water and flour. As I look back on the original topic I see that the instructions for getting it going began with a thick paste, not specific quantities. I'd forgotten that. We'll see what happens!