• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

FauxPas

FauxPas

7 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

I had just recently become aware that the cholla buds and the ocotillo flowers are edible and supposedly used by the First Peoples in the area.  To me this is very recent news.   I won't go near a teddy bear cholla with a 10 20 foot pole.  Chollas I fear.  Nature can keep those buds.

I'm with you on that one!  🙂 

I used to buy cholla buds from Desert Rain Cafe in Sells, AZ when it was still open (and they used them in some of their dishes), but I don't really like the texture. And I don't think I would want to harvest the buds or the fruit! A friend of ours recently took a spill off his bike into a cholla and he was still picking the results out of his skin weeks later. 

FauxPas

FauxPas

4 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

I had just recently become aware that the cholla buds and the ocotillo flowers are edible and supposedly used by the First Peoples in the area.  To me this is very recent news.   I won't go near a teddy bear cholla with a 10 20 foot pole.  Chollas I fear.  Nature can keep those buds.

I'm with you on that one!  🙂 

I used to buy cholla buds from Desert Rain Cafe when it was still open, but I don't really like the texture. And I don't think I would want to harvest the buds or the fruit! A friend of ours recently took a spill off his bike into a cholla and he was still picking the results out of his skin weeks later.