• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

lemniscate

lemniscate

typo

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

Glochids!  That's the new word I got that night, and had forgotten. Thank you, @lemniscate

Do you know whether the cholla fruit is edible? I don't see much made about cholla fruit as opposed to prickly pear fruit. I've asked locals mearby and they don't know. They also don't know whether it turns color when it's ripe. 

I had just recently become aware that the cholla buds and the ocotillo flowers are edible and supposedly used by the First Peoples in the area.  To me this is very recent news.   I won't go near a teddy bear cholla with a 10 20 foot pole.  Chollas I fear.  Nature can keep those buds.

lemniscate

lemniscate

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

Glochids!  That's the new word I got that night, and had forgotten. Thank you, @lemniscate

Do you know whether the cholla fruit is edible? I don't see much made about cholla fruit as opposed to prickly pear fruit. I've asked locals mearby and they don't know. They also don't know whether it turns color when it's ripe. 

I had just recently become aware that the cholla buds and the ocotillo flowers are edible and supposedly used the the First Peoples in the area.  To me this is very recent news.   I won't go near a teddy bear cholla with a 10 20 foot pole.  Chollas I fear.  Nature can keep those buds.