• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Pan - How to stop cooking and love life

Pan

The green tea was no good for me in this condition, and I dumped half of the cup or more. I've taken a few sips of the fennel tea.

Yeah, dinner was great, but I don't feel so good now. Sorry to be complaining on my blog.

Michael aka "Pan"

Only a couple of Ting Ting Jahe candies. :sad:

Pan, I have a bag of Ting Ting Jahe, if you want to come over and get some ... :raz:

Just how many bags do you buy at one time? You definitely need to replenish your supplies. How about a little Chinese shopping? And bring the camera, please ...

That was an adventurous Chinese dinner, for me! How did the tripe taste? Tender? Chewy? Rubbery? You really like your food very spicy, ehh?? You would probably consider Cantonese food very ... uhh ... bland and boring.

If the opportunity arises, would you cook for yourself and/or others? Why/why not?

BTW, you're doing a very good job convincing this LALA foodie to give NYNY a chance. :wink::biggrin:

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

Actually, Russell, I like Cantonese food very much. I still have great memories of a dim sum breakfast in the Guangzhou Station at 7:30 A.M. after arriving on a 33 1/2-hour train ride from Beijing in 1987, one of the best dim sum meals I've ever had (and very cheap). Things don't have to be spicy all the time.

I usually buy two or three bags of Ting Ting Jahe at one time. Had I had the chance to pass by a supermarket in Flushing while it was still open, I would have bought more yesterday, but that didn't happen.

That tripe in chili sauce is fairly tender, just a bit chewy. They do a really good job with it.

I want to give everyone an update:

I feel a lot better after the fennel tea relaxed my stomach some and I had about 5 or 5 1/2 hours of sleep.

I felt fine right after the meal, didn't feel overstuffed and even commented on that fact, saying that we had ordered just the right number of dishes. I felt pretty good during and after playing ping pong. My stomach was just a bit fragile afterwards, but nothing serious.

I really think that what set me off was the gas from the blown-out pilot lights, but once my system was set off, I concluded that the dish that gave me trouble was the Spicy Double Cooked Pork. It really is a delicious dish, but it's really fatty and oily. I usually feel fine after eating at Spicy & Tasty, but I hadn't had the double cooked pork before. I don't think I'll order that again, and if someone else does, I'll eat enough for just a little taste.

Michael aka "Pan"

I think tripe should always be a touch chewy...I like that texture.

Our family is meeting up with Ben Hong ( New Brunswick, Canadian eGuleteer) tomorrow for dim sum. He's in Winnipeg for a wedding and needed some of my joong... :wink: So we will meet. yum cha and hand over the bundle before his flight home. I froze some for him, but they should be thawed in time for his midnight snack! :laugh:

Do you have any favourite dim sum dishes? Pan? Or like any Cantonese dishes in particular?

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I'm going to try having some of this and seeing how my stomach responds:

gallery_786_1505_4739.jpg

It is full fat, but it's yogurt.

The local Met Food supermarket also sells a Greek (or Greek-style?) yogurt that's creamier and tastier than this, but at some $3.50 for a container half or less than half the weight of this container, it is pretty pricey by my standards.

Michael aka "Pan"

[...]Do you have any favourite dim sum dishes? Pan? Or like any Cantonese dishes in particular?

I'm not quite sure what the dividing line between Cantonese and Hong Kong style is. I like congee and noodle soups, salt baked dishes, pork and chicken buns, fried seafood dumplings with leeks or chives, some of the casserole dishes, soy sauce chicken, lotus root in red bean sauce (one of my favorites at Congee Village), chicken feet...

I'll see how that yogurt sits. If I feel like it, I may get delivery from Congee Village tonight. As I said earlier, I'm at the limit of their delivery area, and I think they have an $8 minimum. That means I can't order just congee, and it also means I tip the deliveryman well.

Michael aka "Pan"

I have never stir-fried with lamb. Now that I have seen your pictures, I will have to try as that looks delicious!

Dejah, you really must try it! Lamb is fairly common in Hunan recipes. One large supermarket in NYC's Chinatown (at least as of when I was last there a few years ago) even carries boneless lamb sliced paper-thin "for sukiyaki"! AFAIK, lamb is never used in sukiyaki (Mongolian BBQ, maybe), but I found it very convenient for my Lamb with Leeks and other Hunan dishes. Beats trying to slice it that thinly by hand!

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

Delivery from Congee Village: Chinese comfort food.

gallery_786_1507_54562.jpg

Sliced Fish and Lettuce Congee.

You see all the lettuce, which is on top. The fish is lower down. I will mix the congee now.

I also got one of my favorite dishes, in order to go over the minimum of $8 for delivery:

Rice Baked with Chicken and Black Mushroom in a bamboo pot (it is served to diners still inside a bamboo cylinder. The customer serves himself/herself via a spoon which is inserted into a hinged piece of wood in the center of the bamboo contraption.

I'll take a picture of that dish tonight if I eat any of it tonight.

Edited by Pan (log)

Michael aka "Pan"

Here's the chicken:

gallery_786_1507_80339.jpg

I wish you could smell it!

Delicious, earthy mushrooms, baked rice seasoned with garlic, ginger, scallions, and of course the chicken. Such a very pleasant and tasty dish! :smile:

Michael aka "Pan"

Had I gone to my parents' place tonight, I probably would have gotten takeout from Congee Village. I'm happy I was able to feature them, anyway.

Michael aka "Pan"

I have never stir-fried with lamb. Now that I have seen your pictures, I will have to try as that looks delicious!

Dejah, you really must try it! Lamb is fairly common in Hunan recipes. One large supermarket in NYC's Chinatown (at least as of when I was last there a few years ago) even carries boneless lamb sliced paper-thin "for sukiyaki"! AFAIK, lamb is never used in sukiyaki (Mongolian BBQ, maybe), but I found it very convenient for my Lamb with Leeks and other Hunan dishes. Beats trying to slice it that thinly by hand!

Suzy: Our supermarket carried the paper thin slices of lamb around Chinese New Year time for hot pots, along with beef, pork, liver. We eat lamb quite often, usually with a Middle East flavouring, but this stir-fry looks really good. I will definitely try!

Pan, that congee...ain't comfort food for me at the moment. Down right uncomfortable 'cos I want some and can't have...too close to bed time. :sad: But we will have congee tomorrow.

I just bought several packages of basa fillets. Looks like I will make fish congee soon!

Have you ever had steamed buns with a filling of chicken, mushrooms, lapcheung, ginger and bamboo shoots, flavoured with oyster sauce? A nice change from char sui baos.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

[...]

Have you ever had steamed buns with a filling of chicken, mushrooms, lapcheung, ginger and bamboo shoots, flavoured with oyster sauce? A nice change from char sui baos.

Sounds great! Yeah, I do think I've had those, but it sure hasn't been lately.

I'm having some more comfort food: Some of the same brand of chocolate pudding I had for dinner a couple of days ago.

Michael aka "Pan"

I just bought several packages of basa fillets. Looks like I will make fish congee soon!

Mmmmmnnn... fish congee! We had basa fillets the other night... steamed with lots of garlic, basil leaves, cilantro leaves, and lemon juice (a spontaneous invention as my husband is on a diet -- my main way of preparing basa/catfish is fried with a cornmeal crust).

SuzySushi

Mmmmmnnn... fish congee! We had basa fillets the other night... steamed with lots of garlic, basil leaves, cilantro leaves, and lemon juice (a spontaneous invention as my husband is on a diet -- my main way of preparing basa/catfish is fried with a cornmeal crust).

I've never had a congee with basil in it. Sounds good to me! Sort of a Thai-Chinese congee, maybe. One of the greatest meals I had when I was a kid was a Thai-Chinese dim sum meal, just a few things (dumplings and bao, I think) bought in a hole-in-the-wall in Bangkok's Chinatown back in 1975. I don't remember the food so distinctly, but it was a combination of Chinese and Thai flavors, which any fan of both cuisines would probably agree is a terrific idea!

Michael aka "Pan"

I've never had a congee with basil in it. Sounds good to me! Sort of a Thai-Chinese congee, maybe. One of the greatest meals I had when I was a kid was a Thai-Chinese dim sum meal, just a few things (dumplings and bao, I think) bought in a hole-in-the-wall in Bangkok's Chinatown back in 1975. I don't remember the food so distinctly, but it was a combination of Chinese and Thai flavors, which any fan of both cuisines would probably agree is a terrific idea!

No... not the congee with basil. The steamed basa fillets with basil! (Though congee with basil might be good, too.)

SuzySushi

No... not the congee with basil. The steamed basa fillets with basil! (Though congee with basil might be good, too.)

Oh, I see where I read that wrong. Well, if you try making congee with basil, I'd be interested to know whether the result was good.

Michael aka "Pan"

I had a few lamb dishes at Islamic Beijing years ago. It was a bit too hot for me. I might like it now, since my tastes have changed.

Now that I think about it lamb could be could cooked Korean BBQ style.

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com

Now that I think about it lamb could be could cooked Korean BBQ style.

But of course! Why not?

No reason why not.

I should have typed 'could be good'

But still why not?

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com