• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

So what else can I blowtorch?

Shalmanese

1. You can brown the pale parts of roast chicken and turkey, rather than leaving it in the oven longer, thereby drying out the meat. Often there's a section or two somewhere that didn't take on that wonderful, glorious, caramel brown color. I saw somebody famous do this, but I can't remember who it was.

2. Do not use this tool to thaw out your plumbing, should it ever freeze. A blow (hair) dryer works perfectly well for this, and will not ignite nearby parts of your house. If you don't believe me, ask your local firefighter.

3. The next time an ice storm knocks out our power for 4 days like it did last January, I'm going to try frying eggs with it. I'll let you know. . .