• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Big soft pretzels

Paul B

My kids love big soft pretzels, the type you can get on any corner in New York and are usually served with mustard. Where can I get them in Vancouver? And are they available on the North Shore? I used to be able to get them at one of the delis in the Park Royal market, but the last time I got them there they were hard as rocks. I've made them at home but they take a lot of work and disappear as fast as I can get them out of the oven. Suggestions??

Edited by Paul B (log)

Paul B

While not 100% of the NY experience (they tend not to have that same smokey flavour from sitting next to roasting chestnuts) Superpretzels (http://www.superpretzel.com/) are a close alternative. Now that might seem like a tease, because I can't for the life of me remember where I found them in Vancouver. But I know I have. I just can't remember where. Maybe someone else can help out?

Cheers!

There's a Pretzelmaker stand in the food court at Oakridge. It'll do in a pinch.

Mamacat and I have been known to cross the border and visit Bellis Fair to stop at the Auntie Anne's Pretzels there - it is, for the most part, a crappy old mall food court staple, but they do make a very yummy soft pretzel which is dipped in butter, dredged in crushed almonds and served with a little pot of caramel. They also sell make-at-home mix, which, with a bit of tinkering, makes a fine soft pretzel at home with rather minimal fuss.

Jenn

"She's not that kind of a girl, Booger!"

Superpretzels (http://www.superpretzel.com/) are a close alternative.  Now that might seem like a tease, because I can't for the life of me remember where I found them in Vancouver.  But I know I have.  I just can't remember where.  Maybe someone else can help out?

Cheers!

This is sad, twice in one day I've recommended Save on Foods. You can occasionally find Superpretzels in the freezer there. They are next to those freakish pizza/calzone hybrid things. I suspect they're seasonal, or at least they are for me, they're the perfect accompaniment to an NFL game in November.

There's a Pretzelmaker stand in the food court at Oakridge. It'll do in a pinch.

Mamacat and I have been known to cross the border and visit Bellis Fair to stop at the Auntie Anne's Pretzels there - it is, for the most part, a crappy old mall food court staple, but they do make a very yummy soft pretzel which is dipped in butter, dredged in crushed almonds and served with a little pot of caramel. They also sell make-at-home mix, which, with a bit of tinkering, makes a fine soft pretzel at home with rather minimal fuss.

:shock:

I've never heard of sweet soft pretzels :scared:

Warm, salted, yellow mustard, preferably off a cart in Philly or New York; at GM Place in a pinch.

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

Oakridge? Dang. I had no idea. And I was just there on the weekend. :hmmm:

I generally try to avoid foodcourts, but I'd definitely go for a soft pretzel.

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

Okay, will try the superpretzels. Thanks!

Doesn't is seem like there's a niche here that needs to be filled? Someone should start a local pretzel company.

Paul B

Benny's Bagels on Broadway has them or at least they did 6 months ago.

Yep, they have 2 kinds in fact. "Old School", with rock salt and a lashing of mustard and a "BC Pretzel" with roasted garlic bits and Asiago crumbled on top. And no, I don't know why that makes it a "BC" pretzel. They're served warm and are pretty tasty.

When I was a young teenager wwaaaay back in the 80's, there were street pretzel stands everywhere in Vancouver. What the hell happened?

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

I haven't been to Metrotown/Eaton Center for a long lime but I think there used to be a vendor by Superstore. Also, some of the large movie theatres might have them. I know in Abbotsford, Town Cinema has a pretzel vendor but I can't remember the company name. They are delicious when fresh out of the oven dipped in butter and cinnamon sugar. Mmmmmm...

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

The best Franken Brezeln I have found outside of Germany are to be found in Park Royal. The black forest deli in the Market area at the west end of Park Royal South proper (not the village part the deli is east of the Village). I believe though that this is the place that the original poster mentioned. They are very different from Superpretzel or any mall food stand version thereof. And in my opinion far superior.

Jeff Renner is an extremely well known brewer. He is almost single handedly responsible for the revival of Classic American Pilsner (a widely brewed pre-prohibition era style that is no longer produced commercially). He is also a baker. Here is a recipe that he posted a few years ago that has enjoyed considerable acclaim from the readers of a mailing list that I read.

http://hbd.org/hbd/archive/3747.html#3747-11

I have never made them. So I cannot attest personally to the recipe, but like I've said, many people have posted to the list thanking him for the recipe. They've all loved the result.

Are there no German pubs or eateries in Vancouver?  If what you're looking for is a nice soft hot pretzel withsome mustard, that's the way to go.

Rocky

Solly's has salty twists with mustard. It is not a soft pretzel but close.