• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Café con leche

eem

Hello,

Could anyone tell me how to make café con leche as they do in

Cuba?

Puerto Rico?

España?

Are there any differences between the three? I used to drink it all the time in España but I guess I didn't pay attention to how it was made.

Thanks a lot for any info!

Here in Venezuela whe drink "café con leche", black strong coffee made with espresso machine or any other coffee machine with hot milk and sugar.

They are many varieties of coffee: negrito (strong black cofee), guayoyo (clear black coffee), marroncito (1/2 negrito with 1/2 milk added), con leche (1/4 negrito with 3/4 milk), Guarapo (made with twice as much water), tetero ( is a con leche that has much too much milk, almost white).

Whe drink very strong coffee, probably two or three times the caffeine of an average U.S but are served in small cups. Venezuelan coffee is one of the best coffees in the world. We have a coffee-drinking tradition. Every where you can find a place to drink a coffee, and the best thing is that you can ask for your coffee exactly the way you want.

Thanks a lot inespm. Every place seems to have their particular styles to drink coffee. I just sort of got into coffee cause i got an espresso machine for a little chocolate shop I just opened and i'm finding out all about coffee. I live in the Northwest United States (Portland, OR) and I'm just now discovering how obsessed (in an admirable way) some people are about the way they produce their coffee. Milk based drinks at anytime of the day are popular but their are some places that take lots of pride and work hard at pulling excellent shots of different single origen beans.

• 1 year later...

When I lived in Cumbria (in the north of England) about 13 years ago, I discovered something on the menu of our local pub called "Milky Coffee in a Mug". This turned out to be a mugful of hot milk with a spoonful of instant coffee mixed in.

Of course, if you're chilly from the winter damp, and are craving something hot and nourishing to drink, it's not half bad :)

Anyhow, the pub later discovered the delights of real ground coffee served in cafetieres; but I still feel nostalgic for the simple Milky Coffee in a Mug. The poor man's latte!

I live in the Northwest United States (Portland, OR) and I'm just now discovering how obsessed (in an admirable way) some people are about the way they produce their coffee.  Milk based drinks at anytime of the day are popular but their are some places that take lots of pride and work hard at pulling excellent shots of different single origen beans.

Portland eh? If you haven't already, you ought to check out Stumptown Coffee Roasters. They take their coffee very seriously.

Edited by Beto (log)

• 3 weeks later...

you need a good pot first I use an Italian esspresso pot that you put on the stove or a Cuban pot (they are exactly the same as far as I can see the pot you put the water on the bottom and the coffee steams through the coffee in the middle) but in a pinch a French press will do ...the trick is to really boil your milk and sugar together ...not steam it (like I am seeing done all over now) boiling is the traditional way to get the milk and sugar sweet and creamy together...

I boil whole milk and sugar on the stove then pour it over the shot of coffee ...that is it...

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet