• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seattle's best seafood

I'm a local who'll be coming home for a visit in early August and am wondering if there are any great new seafood spots...

I usually like to sit outside upstairs at Ray's, probably more for the view and the blankets they hand out when the sun sets than really for the food. But maybe I'm missing something not sitting downstairs?

I'll be showing a Midwesterner around and after all my bragging, I have to bring the goods, so please let me know what you think. BTW, I guess I should say I'd rather not do the Flying Fish or Oceanaire--both are fine, but I'd like something a little better!

Opinions please!

How about Asian seafood? I just had a fantastic meal last night (already described in another post) of whole fish in black bean sauce and Szechuan crab at Seven Stars Pepper at 12th and Jackson. It would be an amazing treat on two levels for a midwesterner.

oysters at the Brooklyn or Elliot's (good happy hour there that's been written about a lot)

small menu but impeccably prepared fish at Matt's in the Market. Chez Shea (or the more relaxed Shea's Lounge) would also fit the bill, and all 3 are so Seattle. In a good way.

i'm not a fan of eating downstairs at Ray's. i think it's overpriced and undergood but i'm just one opinion.

Union is arguably the best restaurant in seattle right now, and chef ethan stowell does a great job with fish.

in general (as you can probably gather) i suggest non-seafood places which prepare seafood/fish well.

kiliki's suggestion is a great one - i also suggest Monsoon on 19th in capitol hill. excellent vietnamese fusion with terrific seafood.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

What reese said......

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

I back what Reesek writes: Ethan does about as well on seafood as anyone in town. One day I was in and they were preping Ahi toro, Ethan was very proud that he had brought it as "only" $35 a pound. (I think in a very talented family Ethan may turn out to be the most creative.)

After 30 years in Seattle we went to Matt's for the first time a month or so ago and the featured item was a Cuban-style walleye. It was just great. We'd go back in a heart-beat but it is so tough to get in with the limited seating.

dave

After 30 years in Seattle we went  to Matt's for the first time a month or so ago and the featured item was a Cuban-style walleye.  It was just great.  We'd go back in a heart-beat but it is so tough to get in with the limited seating.

dave

They take reservations...

Anybody know if Union has a website? I'd like to peek at sample menus and/or prices.

Union

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

How about an omakase meal? Another one of those different on two levels sort of things. All of the usual suspects, Shiro's, Saito's, Nishino, the list goes on. Third what Reese said, she is a wise woman.

Rocky

I am thinking sushi as well....my favorite has always been Sanmi in Magnolia. We'll probably have sushi, but I also wanted to wow him with other seafood. I'll probably just end up grilling him some sockeye myself! That's really the seattle way.

Flying Fish is unimpeachable. If your guests are looking for a "downtown" vibe, it's the place to beat. Seven Stars is excellent, but its appeal is more esoteric.

Union's food rocks, but the atmosphere is dull.

Ethan at Union is planning a special seafood dinner in August, served family style to a limited number of guests. Whole fish should feature prominently. All the details haven't been finalized, but it will include paired wines for a prix fixe in the $95 per person range.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

• 1 month later...

"arguably the best"... I'll argue yes, with my limited expereince.

I just got back from a jaunt to seattle using this forum mostly as my guide, and while matt's in the market was good (lunch) and brasa was a fantastic deal at happy hour (thanks!), The Union blew me away. I will not go to seattle again without stopping in there for Ethan's cooking. grilled lamb tongue, heavenly fennel soup with smoked trout, a chantrelle risotto that reinvented mushroom rissotto in goodness, and a perfect, absolutely perfect seared bass that was a love poen to bass. And the cherry cobbler-- shoot, I'd book a flight to get at that again.

Just wanted to share.

a final bonus.. well worth going out to fisherman's terminal to buy much cheaper and quite better seafood, including oysters and the obquitous smoked salmon.

"Gourmandise is not unbecoming to women: it suits the delicacy of their organs and recompenses them for some pleasures they cannot enjoy, and for some evils to which they are doomed." Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

MetaFooder: linking you to food | @foodtwit