• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The ice van cometh

OC yes I got my seeds mixed up! exseedingly silly! Thats why I have never heard of white poppy seeds! The poppy seed ice cream was nice anyway. I will read your recipe correctly next time.

OC yes I got my seeds mixed up! exseedingly silly! Thats why I have never heard of white poppy seeds! The poppy seed ice cream was nice anyway. I will read your recipe correctly next time.

:wink: no problem :wink:

yeah definitely try making sesame seed ice cream

one of my favourites.

although i think i might have to try poppy seed too now

oh well i think many a good dish was created by accident :wink:

Edited by origamicrane (log)

"so tell me how do you bone a chicken?"

"tastes so good makes you want to slap your mamma!!"

I made a wasabi and a raspberry icecream the other day by way of experiment. As I really had no time to be doing any such thing, I used the same rich custard base for both, rather than making one sorbet and one icecream.

A funny thing...I used wasabi paste from a tube so that I could get some little gritty bits of wasabi. No fresh wasabi root at the supermarket, anyway. Now I know that much "wasabi" (non-fresh) in Japan is actually imported horseradish, but the slightly funky stinky horseradish flavor came through much stronger in the icecream. It was quite nice with a squeeze of lemon juice over it though!

Interested to hear how others make their wasabi icecreams..

OC yes I got my seeds mixed up! exseedingly silly! Thats why I have never heard of white poppy seeds![...]

I've done more than hear about them; I've tasted them, and they're delicious!

yahoo.com search results for "white poppy seeds"

yahoo.com image search results for "white poppy seeds"

So, are we ever gonna see any pictures of any of your ice cream? I hope so. :biggrin:

Michael aka "Pan"

Favourite ever pudding: strawberry tart with basil ice cream at Fond in Gothenberg. What about basil ice cream laced with with alpine strawberries - both basil and alpines are in abundance until September. The colour would be really good.

If you plan on expanding the empire, I wouldn't mind running one of your vans along the South Coast next summer?!

Morfudd

Not sure if you saw the battle of the ice creams story in ES magazine on Friday night.  I can't find a link to it, but it noted that were you up against Mr Whippy and winning.

Hi Silverbrow

yes it was a fun piece wasnt it? However, I havnt actually been threatened with my knees being broken or my windows smashed quite yet!

Origamicrane, did you receive the pics I e mailed to you?

Silverbrow, would love you to try the ice creams when you are around...the city is an excellent idea, as is Canary Wharf if I can get past security - I gather there is always a 'sugar run' at about 4pm, although it is a bit far away!

Yes please! I'd love to see you in Canary Wharf. You are right about the sugar thing, although it seems to be at all hours....Krispy Kreme does really brisk business here.

Someone mentioned lager ice-lollies, how about Guinness (?my spelling is really bad) ice-cream? I actually have had this before at a fantastic ice-cream place in Boston (I think the name was Christina's). They also did a great green tea (creamy one) and the best coconut ice cream.

In the meantime, I'll have to make a trip up to Islington...

• 1 month later...

Could e gulleteers help me please - I dont know enough about chocolate, especially with regards to making ice creams and sorbets with it...currently use 70% min but I have been told that I may get a better texture from lower % of cocoa solids.

Any recommendations, and why?

The most popular ice creams so far are, well vanilla, vanilla with raspberry sauce, dark chocolate ice cream (actually Ramsay's dark chocolate sorbet with less sugar in it but children seem to understand the word ice cream over sorbet.) The kids love the fresh mint ice cream, here is the recipe which I think works rather well -

500 ml whole milk

40 g fresh mint

500 ml double cream

100g caster sugar

bring ingredients slowly to just under boiling point, cool then let infuse for a few hours or overnight. Strain and churn.

I'm interested to see that you are making some sorbets/ices with no eggs. I recently came up with a delicious but simple combination (because my mother won't touch raw eggs) that tasted way better than I expected. Equal parts of cream and yoghurt, castor sugar to taste, vanilla essence, Marsala and a squeeze of lemon juice. Allow the sugar to disolve, churn and fold through flaked roasted almonds when it's done. The combination of the sourness of the yogurt with the fullness of the vanilla and Marsala is surprisingly delicious. This goes particularly well with oven roasted peaches, so maybe a sauce based on this would be good. The only problem is, it needs to be served soon after it is made as it gets "plasticy" if you leave it in the freezer.

I'm way down the curve on the chocolate repertoire, so no advice on this.

Edited to add:

You could also come up with a line of "grown-up" icecreams for the City. Low fat, but with a kick, eg made with low fat bio yoghurt, flavoured with orange juice and zest, with a drizzle of Cointreau on top. I made this recently and it was great. Cointreau (which also tastes wonderful with strawberry) is quite viscous and works well as a sauce. Other liquers/spirits could be frozen so that they hold better, eg apple with Calvados, lemon with vodka, raspberry with framboise etc. (nothing new and revolutionary I know, but these pairings work well with crepes sold on the street). Another flavour that I've been thinking about making is almond milk with rose water, which I think could be quite nice in a delicate sort of way... maybe good for Valentine's Day! (Yes, I just got a new Magimix)

Edited by Corinna Dunne (log)

the lower the chocolate %, then the higher % of fat and sugar which will improve your texture but have a detremental (if you go to too low a percentage) effect on the chocolate flavour. personally I use the highest % choc I can find for nearly all my desserts, if something different is required then I look to use a high quality milk choolate.

Could e gulleteers help me please - I dont know enough about chocolate, especially with regards to making ice creams and sorbets with it...currently use 70% min but I have been told that I may get a better texture from lower % of cocoa solids.

Any recommendations, and why?

after all these years in a kitchen, I would have thought it would become 'just a job'

but not so, spending my time playing not working

www.e-senses.co.uk

• 9 months later...

Found Lola's van for the first time today and very much enjoyed a pineapple and chilli sorbet. Probably the nicest sorbet I've ever had: great balance between the two flavours with deep and rich pineapple flavour. Lots of other food goodies available at the Exmouth Street festival, and still more at the Italian festival in Clerkenwell.

Thank you so much! It was great fun doing the Exmouth market festival and the ice creams and sorbets sold really well (it was a hot day, something wrong if they didn't!) Pineapple and chilli didn't sell at all until I realized i'd forgotten to put it on the menu!!

Other great sellars were - Hokey pokey ice cream (vanilla with honeycomb) Affogato al cafe, vanilla with PX sherry and fresh mint with chocolate brownie.

I have another idea which I would like to ask e-gulleteers their opinion of - do they think that it would be feasable to do a similar thing with a "Hot dog and burger van"? I am not sure of the logistics of making burgers and hot dogs on a stove in the van, and what the implications are re health and safety, but I really like the idea of being a mobile burger bar but also serving really great home made hot dogs.

Any suggestions?