• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

40 Years of Slurpees

Jason Perlow

I've never had a Slurpee.  Are they the same consistency as Slush Puppies (which I grew up on and which is responsible for my fondness for the flavor "blue.")

I've never had a Slush Puppie so I can't tell you if the consistencies are the same.

Here's a line of Slurpees:

A row of brain freeze

(See the pic linked below for a better example of the thickness)

They "pour" like a sort of soft serve ice cream. You put the domed lid on the cup and then open the spigot to "pour" the Slurpee into the cup through the hole at the top of the lid. The domed lid allows you to get more than a cupful of brain freeze at one time as you can see by the last slurpee cup in the back in the second picture above. Be careful when you pour because the properly mixed Slurpee expands as it fills your cup (which is why adding the domed lid is a good thing).

You can see evidence of this expansion in this picture (look at the Slurpee on the left...see how far its risen out of the cup).

In the heat of summer, though, it loses it's body and quickly melts which is why you want to keep stirring it with your straw. You use a special well-known Slurpee straw that is nipped at the bottom so it flairs out to form a spoon shape so you can get every last bit of Slurpee.

Hmmm...couldn't find a picture of the straw on the web which is odd since the two (Slurpees and the Slurpee Straw) are so closely associated. I will have to rectify that!

Who knew they made edible Slurpee Straws??

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I've never had a Slurpee.   Are they the same consistency as Slush Puppies (which I grew up on and which is responsible for my fondness for the flavor "blue.")

I had an Icee once at a movie theater and it was the nastiest thing I've ever ingested.

Depending on where you live, slurpees have a different consistency. In Canada they are somewhere between an icee and a slush puppie. An Icee is airier - sort of like drinking flavoured air - a slush puppy is chunkier, icier. The slurpee is the perfect consistency - frozen but smooth.

Any slurpee I've had in the US have been closer to an Icee consistency - I don't know if that's true across the country.

edited to add that a good slurpee does not expand when it fills the cup ... that's the crazy airy stuff you californians drink :wink:

Edited by Pam R (log)

I've never had a Slurpee.   Are they the same consistency as Slush Puppies (which I grew up on and which is responsible for my fondness for the flavor "blue.")

I had an Icee once at a movie theater and it was the nastiest thing I've ever ingested.

Depending on where you live, slurpees have a different consistency. In Canada they are somewhere between an icee and a slush puppie. An Icee is airier - sort of like drinking flavoured air - a slush puppy is chunkier, icier. The slurpee is the perfect consistency - frozen but smooth.

Any slurpee I've had in the US have been closer to an Icee consistency - I don't know if that's true across the country.

edited to add that a good slurpee does not expand when it fills the cup ... that's the crazy airy stuff you californians drink :wink:

Then they must not be making Slurpees properly up there. :raz: The Slurpees I've grown up with are just like the pictures I linked to on the web. And, yes, they do expand when properly mixed...it's part of their allure.

I have had Icees and they are nothing like a Slurpee. Icees are more like Koolaid with a kabillion tiny floating ice chips in it. Far more "liquidy" than a Slurpee.

If your Slurpees come out of the spigot like a liquid, there's something rotten in Denmark (and Canada). :rolleyes:

Tim Oliver

Then they must not be making Slurpees properly up there. :raz:   The Slurpees I've grown up with are just like the pictures I linked to on the web.  And, yes, they do expand when properly mixed...it's part of their allure.

I have had Icees and they are nothing like a Slurpee.  Icees are more like Koolaid with a kabillion tiny floating ice chips in it.  Far more "liquidy" than a Slurpee. 

If your Slurpees come out of the spigot like a liquid, there's something rotten in Denmark (and Canada). :rolleyes:

Your Icee sounds like a Slush Puppy! Sheesh. ;)

And our Slurpees come out of the spigot like a frozen liquid. Not airy... or liquidy.. just fluid flavoured ice... :wub:

edited to add: look at what number post this is for me... it's a sign, I'm right - you're wrong! (I realize that if I want this post to make sense forever I can never post again.... so just imagine that the 711 remains alongside this post)

Edited by Pam R (log)

Wish I could celebrate. Our closest 7-11 is a two hour drive from here. Ditto for where I used to live in NE Ohio and Dairy Mart had the market cornered. :sad:

We were, however, just on a vacation to Colorado. In grad school, I developed an incredible addiction to Slurpees, always Coke mixed with cherry. I looked forward so much to feeding my need. But horrors! Every single 7-11 we went to had not Coke, but Pepsi. That's just WRONG WRONG WRONG in my book.

I'm now going on three years without a Slurpee. This is getting really bad.

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

I'm posting this for those who've never had the pleasure of drinking a Slurpee:

I present the Slurpee Spoon-Straw (Spraw? Stroon?)

gallery_9387_874_10311.jpg

When purchasing my last Slurpee (someone has to take one for the team :wink: ) I noticed that they make two sizes of spoon straws. The spoon straw pictured above is the longer straw. The smaller spoon straw actually has more of a flair to it providing a slightly larger scoop shape.

I also noticed they had a new Slurpee flavor, Crystal Light Strawberry Banana, which I didn't try.

This new flavor in addition to the Diet Pepsi flavor means half the Slurpee flavors offered in my local 7-Eleven were calorie-free or very low in calories.

A sign of the times?

Tim Oliver

Sometimes I wonder if there's a secret, addictive ingredient in Slurpees. So many people crave them. I don't like the whipped, airy ice and chemical flavor. (Though I do otherwise like the flavor "blue" and cheap popsicles.)

Pass me a Del's Lemonade--heavy slush and lemony goodness.

"Hey, don't borgnine the sandwich." -- H. Simpson

I don't like the whipped, airy ice and chemical flavor. (Though I do otherwise like the flavor "blue" and cheap popsicles.)

Neither do I... that's why I'm lucky to live in a country that doesn't have whipped, airy ones.

• 1 month later...

There's a new Slurpee article on Slate:

The Slurpee at 40

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

officially... we're not in the tundra.

I'm not touching the comment about our wanting to be Americans.

Can't a person (me) just like a cool beverage occasionally?

further evidence, at least to this patriotic-when-convenient mind, that Canadians really just want to be Americans.

Easily the most assinine statement of the year :blink: The author obviously hasn't spent any time in Canada.

We really want to be Norwegian.

A.

further evidence, at least to this patriotic-when-convenient mind, that Canadians really just want to be Americans.

Easily the most assinine statement of the year :blink: The author obviously hasn't spent any time in Canada.

We really want to be Norwegian.

A.

Agreed. Well, maybe not about the Norwegian part, but definitely European over American. In fact, Grover Norquist, the sanest of sane Americans :wacko: , would agree:

"[America] is filled with people who decided not to live in Europe. We had people who really wanted to live in Europe, but didn't have the energy to go back. We call them Canadians."

---Grover Norquist in Newsweek, November 22, 2004

• 1 year later...

With the new movie "The Simpsons" coming out shortly, some 7-Eleven stores have been converted to "Kwik-E-Marts".

I stopped in to a local 7-Eleven for a Slurpee (the machine was now re-dubbed "Squishees") and saw they had a Blue Whoo-hoo Vanilla flavor Slurpee/Squishee on tap in honor of the movie.

You can read more about the movie tie-in with 7-Eleven here:

"Gulp! Simpsons 7-11's new overlords"

In a promotion dubbed "life imitates Bart," 7-Eleven Inc. has transformed 11 U.S. stores and one in Canada into Kwik-E- Marts, the fictional convenience store of cartoon infamy, to hype the July 27 opening of The Simpsons Movie.

As mentioned in the article, only select stores have seen a total make-over for the movie. Others will just offer movie tie-ins like the new Slurpee flavor.

Tim Oliver

And in related news (sort of) - Winnipeg was named Slurpee Capital of the world again this week.

From canoe.ca, an article about Winnipeg's Slurpee' culture - we may be the only people buying them when it's -40:

For the eighth consecutive year, Winnipeg sucks like no other city in the world.

Sucks Slurpees, that is. Winnipeg has defended the Slurpee capital crown it has worn since 2000.

• 3 years later...

Today is Free Slurpee Day at 7-Eleven to celebrate the chain's birthday.

They are giving away 7.11 ounce Slurpees today only at stores within the U.S. and Canada.

Brain freeze away! :laugh:

Tim Oliver

• 2 years later...

Today is Free Slurpee Day at 7-Eleven to celebrate the chain's birthday.

They are giving away 7.11 ounce Slurpees today only at stores within the U.S. and Canada.

Brain freeze away! laugh.gif

Tomorrow is 7/11 and they should be giving away their usual free Slurpees!

It was 103°F here yesterday...and they're forecasting triple digit temps all next week. I had to stop by and get a Slurpee to keep cool. :cool:

The original Coca Cola flavor.

Slurpee_resized.jpg

• Like 2

Tim Oliver

Happy 7-11 day. We are officially the Slurpee capital of the world for the 15th year in a row. It's been a while since I've had one, but it's a beautiful summer day and a free Slurpee to celebrate may be in order.

Edited by Pam R
Yikes! Auto correct fix. (log)
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...

Just a yearly reminder that tomorrow (7/11) is Free Slurpee day at 7-Eleven. Granted, it's a small one (allegedly 7.11 ounces). They're supposed to have deals all week and they have an app/club you can join that may get you more deals if you're into that sort of thing.  :cool:

• Like 1

Tim Oliver