• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

In search of a monkey table?

Daniel

To quote from the Apple Daily article:
Either way, the monkey cannot attack but still feels an extreme amount of pain.

I have it on not-the-best authority (Thomas Harris/Hannibal, episodes of ER) that there are no nerve endings in the brain. The brain itself requires no desensitizing drugs during brain surgery.

The brain has billions of nerve endings, called axons, but it doesn't have any pain receptors. And you're right. You can do brain surgery with a local anesthesia. In fact, in the days before fMRI, surgeries of this kind were very useful in determining what parts of the brain were involved in what functions.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

I have it on not-the-best authority (Thomas Harris/Hannibal, episodes of ER) that there are no nerve endings in the brain.  The brain itself requires no desensitizing drugs during brain surgery.

The brain has billions of nerve endings, called axons, but it doesn't have any pain receptors.

No pain receptors...that's what I meant! :biggrin:

I have it on not-the-best authority (Thomas Harris/Hannibal, episodes of ER) that there are no nerve endings in the brain.  The brain itself requires no desensitizing drugs during brain surgery.

The brain has billions of nerve endings, called axons, but it doesn't have any pain receptors.

No pain receptors...that's what I meant! :biggrin:

I know. It's just that I can't pass up an opportunity to be pedantic! :smile:

Edited by Patrick S (log)

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

I've never done it myself, but I'm pretty sure that the folks in the rural, eastern part of my state eat Sasquatch chitterlings on a semi-regular basis.

So basically what i have taken from this thread is that I should move to China open a restaurant and specialize in Monkey Brains.. First, there wont be any competition.. Second, I will get a lot of press for being the Worlds First Monkey Brainery, and third I can live out this weeks life long dream of mine to sell monkey tables... Thanks guys.. Now i just need to figure out which route me and my girlfriend need to drive to get there, or maybe I should have her start digging. :biggrin:

Edited by Daniel (log)

To quote from the Apple Daily article:
Either way, the monkey cannot attack but still feels an extreme amount of pain.

I have it on not-the-best authority (Thomas Harris/Hannibal, episodes of ER) that there are no nerve endings in the brain. The brain itself requires no desensitizing drugs during brain surgery.

So once the monkey gets over the trauma of its skull being removed, it shouldn't really feel anything.

Funny coincidence, but I was just leafing through this month's Scientific American, and there was a piece answering the question "why do we get headaches?". The article explained that the brain itself is not equipped to feel pain, and that headaches are actually pain felt in the tissue surrounding the skull. So anyway, you're probably right that monkeys would not feel pain upon having their brains eaten. They probably wouldn't enjoy having their skulls sawn open, though.

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

[...]Anzu,

Urbanisation has made monkeys dangerous and they have lost their fear of man, unlike those in the wild.

Those in the wild aren't timid, either, if my experiences living in a Malay village for two years are any guide.

It sounds like some people need to start keeping their windows closed, just as we did when we stayed in the late, lamented Hotel Majestic in Kuala Lumpur in the mid 70s. It opened onto a national park that was virgin jungle, and the monkeys would come in any time the windows were left open.

Michael aka "Pan"

... or maybe I should have her start digging.

When you tell her about your numskull plan to serve up primates, she'll be digging you a something else! :raz:

btw, I'm alerting every zoo within 100 miles of your next road route...

Edited by Josh (log)

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." -- Mark Twain

Have you ever seen those "Faces of Death" movies ?? They show a monkey table being used.

So, no, it is not an urban legend.

I don't know where it was filmed, but they show them putting the monkey in the table and a bunch of businessman taking turns wacking the poor monkey in the head, with ball pean hammers, as it screamed. and it also showed them eating the brains directly from the skull.

It was horrific.

Today is going to be one of those days.....

Have you ever seen those "Faces of Death" movies ?? They show a monkey table being used.

So, no, it is not an urban legend.

Yeah, because I've never ever heard of people faking something for a movie. Sheesh.

Anyway, you can watch the clip here and judge for yourself (obviously it's pretty graphic; click at yer own risk). The clip very easily could have been faked; for example, they use basic editing tricks like cutting away at strategic moments. So given all the other evidence, I'm confident that it's bogus.

But I like the cool 70's hairstyles on the businessmen, and the silly "spiritual" message.

The director of FOD, himself, John Schwartz, has said that aside from a few authentic news clips in the film, they are all fake.

Most adolescent slumber parties in the '80s began or ended with a video screening of the cult classic, pseudo-snuff flick Faces of Death. After the movie, no slumber came, only nightmares and debate.

"Did those people really beat that monkey to death and eat its brains?"

"How did they get that footage of the flesh-eating cult?"

"Is that electric chair execution real?"

Is any of Faces of Death real? What does the man who made it say?

"I'll never forget: All of a sudden on the news one night they're talking about Faces of Death!" says John Schwartz, who directed and wrote the movie and its sequels I through IV (there are now eight Faces of Death movies). The flick was intended as a Japanese-only release in 1979, but found its way to the United States, and the national news, a couple of years later.

"I almost fell out of my chair," says Schwartz in a phone interview. "Dan Rather on CBS was talking about these "incredibly horrible videos.' 'Cause everybody thought they were real!"

Lifting the mask from 'Faces of Death'

• 3 weeks later...
The live-monkey-brains thing is an urban legend.

I've spoken to someone who first hand had tried monkey brain while in China. So this is not a story about a friend who knew a friend... This person is a well respected individual and he wasn't making it up. He was/is very adventurous though when it comes to food - I'll say that of him.