• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

California Gardening: What's up?

That is a beautiful cauliflower. Do you use bug killers? I am in the same zone and as close to the coast as you but I always get pests in my winter cabbage family plants like cauliflower, cabbage and broccoli. I prefer an organic remedy but have not had much success.

If you look at the leaves, you can see that I did have cabbage worms, but I was diligent about them and would go out with a hard stream of water and hit under the leaves almost daily. One head I bought into the kitchen and was washing it under the faucet and this very plump happy worm poked his head out. Yes, I squealed. Fortunately, he didn't eat much! :-)

Also, this is the first year that I had these particular vegetables so I think that the area where they grew did not have pests or tendencies from a previous year's crops. I am still learning about crop rotation so I don't know where I will plant them next year. the other thing I learned is that you have to pick them early because they can go past their prime and begin to look like they are going to seed very quickly. That happened to a couple of heads.

Cooking is like love, it should be entered into with abandon, or not at all.

• 1 month later...

The guavas (thank you for the ID) are good baked in puff pastry with sugar. They are quite musky and are improved by a touch of spice. The best is coriander.

Last night I ate the last bell pepper of the 2008 season. It sat on the plant slowly ripening since October, and finally was all red. YUM.

Planted tomato seeds this weekend, bought some 4" plants too. Also started beans, peas, sweet peppers and okra. Fingers crossed!

This year, the carrots germinated. :smile:

Oranges are ripening, the plum tree is blossoming, the lime tree is hanging on to some little tiny limes....

Picked rhubarb at my dad's house and made the BEST crisp.

6 cups rhubarb, 1 apple, Sugar (to taste), "pie spice" (we used nutmeg and ginger), tangerine juice, thickener (we used corn starch).

Top crust was phyllo dough sheets, spread with butter, sprinkled with sugar, rolled up individually, then placed round and round on top of the fruit to cover the entire pie. Baking temp 350 for 50 min or until crust is crispy. Cool 10 or so min before slicing.

:smile::smile:

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

• 1 month later...

Tomatoes growing and flowering, still too cold to set fruit, it seems.

Limes are looking good.

The eggplant is flowering.

Not much gardening done yet.

None (0, zip, zilch) of the beans and peas sprouted. Must try again.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Tomatoes growing and flowering, still too cold to set fruit, it seems.

Limes are looking good.

The eggplant is flowering.

Not much gardening done yet.

None (0, zip, zilch) of the beans and peas sprouted. Must try again.

How did your garden fare with the heatwave we just had in Southern California? I heard it got up to 100°F in the Santee/El Cajon area.

I know you already planted your tomatoes but if you're looking for more (for later in the year) on Sundays there's a great tomato plant booth at the Farmer's Market by the uptown DMV (Hillcrest-NorthPark).

My brother, who has been blessed with a green thumb, raves about the tomato plant guy at that Farmer's Market. The guy sells a huge variety of heirlooms and told my brother he will be selling his "second wave" soon (my brother plants staggered crops of tomatoes since it takes about 60 days for the plants to bear fruit. He times his plantings so that he ends up with tomatoes clear through October-November). The tomato plant guy at this Farmer's Market is getting ready to sell his next wave of plantings. My brother says the guy is also a veritable fountain of knowledge about tomatoes. So if you have gardening/tomato questions, he's the guy to ask.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Crazy year here in Paso! Week before last we had temps drop into the low 30's and froze my young tomato's, last weekend it jumps into the high 90's. It has started to drop to the mid 70's in the day, low 40's at night. Kind of maddening for a veggie garden but we've been harvesting butter lettuce, radishes and rocket. Leeks, spinach, cilantro, parsley and chard are coming on strong. I haven't heard of planting tomato's in stages. Mine seem to continue to bear throughout the season. Am I missing the tomato boat here? We live over the hill from Windrose Farms so heirloom tomato's are easily accessible.

"I drink to make other people interesting".

...I haven't heard of planting tomato's in stages.  Mine seem to continue to bear throughout the season.  Am I missing the tomato boat here? We live over the hill from Windrose Farms so heirloom tomato's are easily accessible.

It depends on whether the tomato plant will flower all the way through autumn. Usually, there's a burst of flowers at the beginning and then they trickle off or the plant will start withering. Yes, you can still get tomatoes in October but not in as large a number as you did from the first 60 to 90 days of life for each plant. By planting in stages you should get a continual crop harvested throughout the growing months. Of course, the harvest point and amount harvested will vary with each type of tomato.

My brother always starts with something easy like Early Girls since they bear fruit within 60 days and are pretty dependable. The problem with tomatoes like Early Girls is that they're bred to produce fruit quickly but they don't always have the best flavor so he has slowly moved into heirlooms and has had mixed results with them. Some heirlooms produce beautifully, others end up as disappointing runts.

He uses large planter pots for his tomatoes that he places on the side of his house where they get a lot of sun. He has about 16 pots but not all are for tomatoes (some are used for his chile pepper crop). He mentioned that plucking off the "suckers" on a tomato is very important and he's pretty vigilant about it.

And of course, the dreaded "May Gray/June Gloom" in San Diego always presents a challenge to tomato gardeners (or gardeners in general). This is when the marine layer comes in and doesn't go out again for about 30 days. This will sometimes delay tomato production as the plant will seem to stall during these sun-less days.

Tim Oliver

• 2 weeks later...

Oh baby! Tomato set! We have baby Glaciers and Sungolds. :biggrin:

And carrots. Nantes carrots crowded much too close together, forcing :wink: us to thin them at this delicate baby carrot stage, and include the thinned in our snacks.

No 'rainbow' carrots yet, but good strong greens suggest we'll be having the same fun with yellow, white and purple carrots soon. :wub:

• 1 month later...

I recently moved up to the Bay Area and can't seem to find boysenberry vines right now and I really don't want to wait until next winter. I could always get them in pots at Laguna Hills Nursery in the summer. Any suggestions for nurseries that might have them?

Edited by mukki (log)

Summer came a month earlier than last year, despite the cool weather. I credit that short hot blast a few months back.

We've eaten the first Early Girl :wub: , and should have several more this week. Glacier is also ripening fast (its supposed to be faster than Early Girl). IF we can beat back the d*%$#!d ground squirrels this year. :angry:

I havent made the trek to Hillcrest yet, Toliver, but I keep dreaming about it!

Our neighbors picked their first corn this week and were kind enough to share with us. A lovely purple husk on the outside, and sweet deep yellow kernels. This variety has a good strong corn flavor, not a supersweet. I liked!

We put in some bean & pea seedlings just for kicks, have a strong looking yellow squash that I may shortcircuit by taking the flowers, and a zucchini ditto. We're hoping the pumpkins sprout soon. The sunflowers are looking promising, if very very small (only planted them a week ago).

The carrots had an adventure. A small guest tried to harvest them all in huge handfuls. This pulled the tiny-just-a-root ones out, and broke the greens off the bite-sized ones, leaving them in the ground. We're watering, and watching. I figured they'd all rot, but at least some are sending up new leaves, and we planted new seed which is doing well, so we'll get those purple, yellow and white carrots yet! We've had a couple tiny ones, just so we could say we did! :laugh:

Now what can one cook with iceplant (aka pickleweed)? :wacko:

• 4 months later...

lots of cucumbers, a couple zucchinis, several japanese eggplant, and 4 of the best cantelope I have ever eaten.

The latter were from a volunteer vine that grew out of the compost pile. :laugh:

Its fun to watch them develop. The strange fuzzy fruit were mysteries to us until the webbing formed, overnight.

Tomatoes all summer long. A bunch of those also volunteered from the compost pile. Looked like 2 plants of 'brown' tomatoes, and the rest were teh grape tomatoes from a Costco party tray. They were better picked fresh from the 'vine' in the sun. Better still were the currant tomoatoes that came from Toliver's mother's yard a year or so back. We saved a few seeds and they grew again. The small person ate many many many.

A new favorite is Green Zebra. Absolutely delicious. Ripe when bright orange w green stripes. What a kick to have on a plate!

The carrots recovered, and a second crop were planted. Its still a thrill for most of our small guests to pull one, wash and eat it on the spot.

We've gone nuts and started new tomatos from seed in mid-August. They are flowering now. In theory, white, pink striped, orange, yellow, red and brown cherry tomato varieties.

Planted 6 pumpkin vines, not one bore fruit. :hmmm:

As always, the growing was as much fun as the eating. And as always, I'm glad our ability to have full bellies does not depend on my skill and luck in the garden!

Better still were the currant tomoatoes that came from Toliver's mother's yard a year or so back. We saved a few seeds and they grew again. The small person ate many many many.

Thank you for posting about the currant tomato plant living on. I am so happy to hear that they've made a little someone happy and I know my mom will be thrilled with the news.

I'm surprised they aren't a more popular plant (eg, used in classroom gardens) since they're just the perfect size for the little ones to eat.

I have a friend who had no luck with pumpkins until the year a volunteer popped up on her compost pile (like your cantaloupes). Go figure!

Tim Oliver

My fat hindend in a chair, far away from weeds, gloves and shears ????

Seriously, I am toying with the idea of a winter garden - peas/beans etc.

But I have my doubts we'll get anything started in time.

What about you, Raoul Duke?

I started collards, brussel sprouts, broccoli, and some type of choy in a "curbside treasure" kiddie pool. The leaves have added goodness to a recent butternut squash based soup. I keep seeing those cute but naughty white moths flitting around. Hoping the migratory birds will eat them before they lay on the leaves and create lace.

You may have to help the birds by picking off the caterpillars and leaving them somewhere visible.

The little orange moths destroyed our sunflowers. We had gorgeous flowers which is what we were after, but the caterpillars ate thru the seeds before they could fully develop, so we didnt get sunflower seeds.

On the other hand, we got lots of tiny little caterpillars, which is almost as good at our house these days.

Did you fill the kiddypool w sand or soil?

(I love that curbside treasure hunting!)

I HATE slugs, so leafy vegetables need a tightly controlled environment in my world.

We spent the weekend putting in the winter garden: Fava beans in two areas to improve the soil and plus...I love favas...with a little chianti! Snap peas and snow peas, chinese cabbage, cauliflower and broccoli, some lettuces, and GARLIC! I also sowed some arugula seed in an area where it can just go wild. I am fighting the birds for my seeds. I actually saw them trying to dig up the peas I planted. The squirrels have also been very aggressive this year...getting my heirloom tomatoes because I left them on the vine for "just one more day!"

Cooking is like love, it should be entered into with abandon, or not at all.

I filled my kiddie pool with garden soil and planted along the guidelines of "Square Foot" gardening. At least the hyperactive raccoons do not like veggies....RIP goldfish... I think having even a little bit of garden out there makes us more creative because we want to use the results.

• 2 weeks later...

Crazy cherry tomatoes are still setting fruit. :shock:

I HAVE to get off my derriere and plant some peas in the 'soil free' garden, after I move it away from ground squirrel territory.

• 6 months later...

I am reopening this topic because after a lapse of a few years I am again gardening but on a smaller scale than previously.

Having lost a considerable amount of weight over the past two years, I now have far more energy than I did and the gardening does not seem so much like an impossible task. My knees are still a bit "iffy" but as long as I avoid kneeling or squatting, I am okay.

All of my new vegetable gardening is in containers. Several tomato plants, eggplants, cucumbers (different varieties), summer squash (zucchini, crookneck, etc.), kale, chard, onions, carrots, radishes, lettuces, beans (both bush and pole), peas (pod and sugar snap), and various herbs and a couple of exotics (Yacon plant ordered from Nichols Garden Nursery in Oregon) and something called "summer cilantro" which is supposed to resist bolting in the summer heat.

Also strawberries, more about these later because I have purchased some rather interesting pots which are due to arrive today and which are supposed to be a more efficient way of growing.

I have been taking numerous photos as the garden has progressed but there are so many that I really have to narrow it down to just a few to post here but will have more of them in my photobucket album.

I'm posting a couple of teaser photos.

A note about the anise: This specimen was originally planted twelve years ago and just keeps coming back, with little or no attention every year.

How about other California gardeners? Anybody doing anything interesting?

overview.JPG

Anise.jpg

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I planed radishes for the first time and did not thin them properly. The upside is that the crowded plants that had no room for a fat root used their energy in the leaves. I have been enjoying the more tender greens in salads and the tougher guys in a spring pasta. The eggplants are setting fruit. I have eaten one cherry tomato (great flavor) and the laden Early Girl has one getting awfully close to bright red. The peas were a little sparse (only one plant), but were good in the spring pasta. Green beans and arugula are looking healthy and the chives are trying hard. I have harvested young crookneck squash and am looking forward to the later planted zuchini flowers to be fried as a treat. In terms of fruit I am happy to report that the plums and nectarines are walnut sized and the grape I thought I over-pruned has many lovely clusters forming. The big shocker was the avocado that came from a seed and has pea and olive sized fruit developing.

The big shocker was the avocado that came from a seed and has pea and olive sized fruit developing.

That rocks! I hope it grows and prospers.

My mom still has a potted tomato plant from last year that continues to bear fruit. Granted, the fruit stayed green through the winter months but now that the sun has returned, the fruit is finally starting to turn.

She's also decided to give her Topsy Turvy tomato planter another try this year.

Best o' luck to ya, Ma! :laugh:

Tim Oliver

The big shocker was the avocado that came from a seed and has pea and olive sized fruit developing.

That rocks! I hope it grows and prospers.

My mom still has a potted tomato plant from last year that continues to bear fruit. Granted, the fruit stayed green through the winter months but now that the sun has returned, the fruit is finally starting to turn.

She's also decided to give her Topsy Turvy tomato planter another try this year.

Best o' luck to ya, Ma! :laugh:

So far my Topsy Turvy tomato is way behind the others that were planted in deep pots at the same time.

Same variety (Early Girl) and from the same six pack as the others and they were all the same size when transplanted.

I do have it in a protected area, where it can get sun but not so much of the wind. (It has been very windy the past couple of weeks and started out nice today but about eleven a.m. the wind came rolling in.)

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

And here is my report on my new "strawberry towers" - a compact and efficient way to do a lot of gardening in a very small space.

two strawberry towers.JPG

strawberry tower #1.JPG

strawberry tower #2.JPG

Each of the Agro-Towers Grow Pots has six sections and they fit together in a sturdy stack 3 high with no center post but with a center pipe or post, anchored in the ground can be stacked higher.

I saw a brief segment on one of the shows on the "Green channel" about these in use on a deck garden (Manhattan Beach) and also on an apartment balcony (West Hollywood) and since they are a California company, decided to give them a try.

I purchased twelve and have four more to fill with my remaining strawberry plants and am anticipating ordering more as I have some other ideas.

The quality of the materials in the pots is exceptional and I anticipate that they will last for many years.

The usual disclaimer, I have no connection with the company other than as a customer.

• 4 weeks later...

As always, Andie, you are an overachiever. What a garden!

We had one currant tomato overwinter, and bear. The small person claims the little tiny fruits are now as sweet as candy. Since she eats a lot of candy, she's qualified to judge. I dont rate any of the fruit, so cant confirm.

Got a VERY late start this year. Put 3 tomatoes in the ground 3 weeks back, including one called "Aussie", a few more in pots, and one in the hydroponic-y thing. Got some bush beans about to flower, lima beans sprouting, and hoping the japanese eggplant will sprout. Have a good patch of corn at 6" high and 3-4 weeks old. Am looking for time and a place to put the purple bush beans and maybe some climbers.

We planted a loufa and a cantelope. We have ~ 15 volunteers that I think will turn out to be cantelope. If so, I have to thin them over the next week, and share the wealth.

Got a new recipe for oranges - 4 oranges: slice off the peel and pith. Slice "thinly" (I use 3-4 mm), layer in shallow pan, bowl or plate. In small pan, heat 3 T honey (I use orangeblossom) and 1 T orangeflower water, and 1 cinnamon stick, simmer 1 min. Remove the stick, pour the syrup over the oranges, and marinate as long as you want. Instant service isnt bad. Next day is wonderful.