• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

CHILIES!

Basilgirl

Well, The Basilman's garden is starting to overflow. He planted at least 30 chile pepper plants, and an unknown number of tomato plants. He likes to do things in a big way. Anyway, the serranos, habaneros, banana etc. are going nuts (and soon -the peter pepper! can't wait to see that one)...any EASY ideas on how to deal with all of this stuff? The 1999 Garden from Hell saw me in the kitchen every night, making salsas and sauces and pepper mashes... I froze some of the peppers but I didn't like their texture after they thawed out.

Help! I'm not into canning but if there is an easy way to do it I'd love to hear about it. Thanks.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Dry them. They'll store quite well and can be revived with hot water when needed.

My brother uses a Mr. Coffee food dehydrator to dry his crop of chile peppers. Once dried, he keeps them labeled in Ziploc bags. He will also use a coffee/spice grinder to make homemade fiery hot pepper flakes (snip off the stems before grinding!), bottles of which he gives out as Christmas gifts every year. :wub:

If you don't have a dehydrator, you can lay them in a single layer on a flat cookie sheet (with rim, preferrably) and leave them in the sun to dry. The only problem with this is that they are exposed to the elements. Also, you will need to turn them every once in a while since moisture is not a good thing and can lead to moldy peppers.

Enjoy the bounty!

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Pickled pepper relishes are wonderful. I'll see if I can scare up a recipe for you.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

If I have too many chiles, I string them, using a big needle and dental floss, and hang them somewhere dry and breezy.

(Dental floss because it is amazingly strong--also works well for sewing on buttons. No mint flavored floss, please, thought I doubt you could detect it thru the chiles.)

You could roast them and can them, but you would have to use a pressure canner. If you want instructions, I can probably find them for you.

sparrowgrass

I like to make 'sweet' peppers out of my extras. slice them up and do them like you'd do cucumbers to make sweet pickles (get the bag stuff for this in the canning section of the market). You can can them easily just by inverting the filled jars..it's really not a big deal at all.

Last time we had the pepper forest going I made stuffed jalepenos,

froze a bunch of different ones plain,

and dried the long skinny red ones strung with needle and thread

...as long as you are cooking with them the defrosted texture doesnt matter that much and they slice fairly nice if you catch them frozen just right amount

T

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

The larger milder ones make great pakoras:

remove insides (if desired)

dip in a chickpea flour+water+salt+turmeric+cuminpowder batter

deep fry.

dip in green chutney (mint/cilantro)

great stuff for breakfast (seriously)

washed down with masala chai.

The smaller hotter ones make great pickle:

sliced thin, marinated with ginger slices, and