• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Atlanta Help

Daniel

My girl is staying at the hyatt on peachtree in downtown atlanta....She usually stays in buckhead because she likes to go to Kyma and Bluepointe...however, wasn't able to get a rez in buckhead and would like comparable restaurants downtown....

Thanks a lot..

My girl is staying at the hyatt on peachtree in downtown atlanta....She usually stays in buckhead because she likes to go to Kyma and Bluepointe...however, wasn't able to get a rez in buckhead and would like comparable restaurants downtown....

Thanks a lot..

Presumably you mean that she couldn't get a hotel reservation in Butthead (oh, sorry, Buckhead), not that she couldn't get restaurant reservations, right?.

Kyma and Bluepointe are both part of the Buckhead Life group of restaurants. Busy places, sort of glam in a "look at me" kind of way, food expensive and not terrible. Downtown doesn't really have the same sort of restaurants as Buckhead because it doesn't have the same demographic (or any demographic at all other than conventioneers in the evenings). But downtown is close to surrounding neighborhoods with lots of restaurants. She'll have the most luck in Midtown, where she should consider (based her liking Kyma and Bluepointe):

Spice

Two Urban Licks

Eno

The Globe

Hmm, that's all that comes to mind at the moment. She'll need a cab to get to any of these, or she could take MARTA and walk a bit.

There are some places downtown that I've either not visited lately or not been to at all so can't vouch:

Luxe

Endenu

Can you pee in the ocean?

Spice

Two Urban Licks

Eno

The Globe

Hmm, that's all that comes to mind at the moment. She'll need a cab to get to any of these, or she could take MARTA and walk a bit.

There are some places downtown that I've either not visited lately or not been to at all so can't vouch:

Luxe

Endenu

Good suggestions. Here are a few more:

PACIFIC RIM-it's right down the block from her hotel and has a decent sushi bar.

McCORMICK & SMICKS-seafood and close by.

RAY'S IN THE CITY-.

100% right 50% of the time.

I suggested those places to my girlfriend and she said the places suggested were more clubby then places to eat.. She is there for business and on an expense account.. Not that she needs to spend a lot of money, the food is obviously the most important thing.. But she will be there for business dressed in business attire.. I guess I am asking if Atlanta has a good greek restaurant comparable to Kyma.. That might be a good question..

I suggested those places to my girlfriend and she said the places suggested were more clubby then places to eat.. She is there for business and on an expense account.. Not that she needs to spend a lot of money, the food is obviously the most important thing.. But she will be there for business dressed in business attire.. I guess I am asking if Atlanta has a good greek restaurant comparable to Kyma.. That might be a good question..

Kyma's the farthest upmarket Greek we've got in Atlanta.

Since she's doing business entertaining and is not as interested in the clubby atmosphere (though Kyma and Bluepointe both have an element of that---Bluepointe's bar is one of the best places in town to check out the work of plastic surgeons) she might consider City Grill. Right downtown in a lovely older building (one of the few we've got left), City Grill's got a pretty dining room that's well-lit and not loud, so much more suitable for business entertaining than many other restaurants in town.

Nikolai's Roof (right downtown, in either the Hilton or the Hyatt) recently got a new chef. We've not yet been but mean to do so soon---I tasted some of his stuff at a recent charity thing and it was very nice. Definitely an expense account sort of place.

Bacchanalia's not far from downtown. Excellent food, and not too boisterous or dark. If it's a weekend she'll definitely want to book ahead.

Park 75 at The Four Seasons in Midtown another good option for business entertaining.

Thanks a lot..

My condolences to your girl (I don't know how many times I had to stay in the downtown Hyatt for business reasons - had to be able to get to the courthouse early in the morning - but I was happy when I retired and could stay in Buckhead). It's hard to believe she can't get a reservation anywhere in Buckhead. Is there a big convention in town? What about midtown?

There weren't any good restaurants downtown when I used to go there - and - from the sound of it - not much has changed. Last trip to Atlanta - we had a good lunch at Eno - which is mid-town. Business attire would be appropriate there - although I doubt it's required. It is across the street from Retromodern - which is an excellent contemporary design store - and a half block away from Bulthaup (a terrific kitchen cabinet place where she can get ideas about how to spend more money on kitchen cabinets than you thought possible :smile: ).

BTW - downtown Atlanta wasn't a particularly safe place to stroll around at night when I used to go there on business trips. Your girl should check out whether the situation is the same these days or whether it has changed. Robyn

• 5 months later...

My girl is going back to Atlanta again tomorrow.. Staying in Buckhead, this time I will be with her..

We are staying for three nights and are going to Kyma, Blue Pointe, and Bones.. Any new places open up there? Any major criticisms on my decision.. I am going to be working all day and dont really want to travel far away.. Will probably cancel one of the reservations and eat room service out of being exhausted..

We are staying for three nights and are going to Kyma, Blue Pointe, and Bones.. Any new places open up there?  Any major criticisms on my decision..

Well, since you ask..

As I point out upthread, Kyma and BluePointe are both Buckhead Life restaurants, both used extensively for expense account dining. Bones not part of that group (Chops is the steak restaurant in that group) but similarly very expense account.

Clearly your girlfriend likes these places, but if you want to try something different in Buckhead I'd go to The Dining Room at The Ritz Carlton and/or Seeger's. Much more haute cuisine than the ones you've got listed, but about the same amount of money in the end.

If you don't want to go that fancy you could try Fogo da Chao.

What is Fogo de Chao?

Basically, we are on an expense account, unfortunately, I pay the expense account.. I know I have to go to Kyma because she really likes the place.. But after that, I am not forced to go anywhere.. Since I am going to be in a suit for work we will be dressed appriopriately.. But for me, its not the price of cuisine, I just want it to be excellent.. An amazing burger is better then a bad haute meal, for me..

Thanks therese.. Any down home southern places in the area..

I am a fan of this set up.

churrasco, the Gaucho way of roasting meats over pits of open fire for delicious barbecues
Then by all means do try it! I found it to be the top of the line for that genre of restaurants! Fantastic lamb and filet of beef ...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

What is Fogo de Chao?

Basically, we are on an expense account, unfortunately, I pay the expense account.. I know I have to go to Kyma because she really likes the place.. But after that, I am not forced to go anywhere.. Since I am going to be in a suit for work we will be dressed appriopriately..  But for me, its not the price of cuisine, I just want it to be excellent..  An amazing burger is better then a bad haute meal, for me..

Thanks therese.. Any down home southern places in the area..

As you've noted, Fogo is a gaucho-staffed meat palace. I went with a Brazilian colleague a couple of years ago and he loved it. Not my cup of tea, as I don't eat huge amounts of meat and don't like salad bars, but that's just me.

As for the burger vs haute question, rest assured that the local versions of haute cuisine offered by Seeger and Berthelier (at The Dining Room) are very good, and certainly better (on a relative scale) than most burgers you'll find in Atlanta or elswhere.

The closest thing to "down home southern" in Buckhead is Restaurant Eugene, and then only if you're dining on Sunday, when this otherwise very elegant restaurant (that does use local ingredients and some southern vernacular) offers "Sunday Supper."

A little bit farther down Peachtree is MidCity Cuisine. The restaurant's been open for a couple of years, but recently got a new chef, Nic Bour. Very good on my one visit last month. Neither Southern nor haute.

If you want the real deal insofar as "down home Southern", take Peachtree all the way into town to Ponce de Leon, turn left, and you'll see the sign for Mary Mac's Tea Room a couple of blocks up on your left. We ate there last night, and my daughter pointed out that there were a lot of police cars in the parking lot. I told her that was a good thing, that the police knew where to find the good food.

A couple of new places that I've not tried but that you might like are Taurus and Table 1280.

Might also want to venture to Atlantic Station and go to LOBBY. Aria has excellent food in Buckhead.

I prefer Midtown myself. Try Spice, Mitra, or South City Kitchen. Rathbun's in Inman Park was the hottest restaurant in Atlanta for the last year and a half.