• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

There was so much discussion on WaWa here:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...=0entry964248

Someone mentioned it should have it's own thread. So, here it is. To answer the last post:

There used to be more Wawas in and around Center City.  I can recall at least six of them that were either closed or sold to other operators over the two decades I've lived in Wash West:

--12th and Walnut (closest to where I live now; this is now an indie, the Pac a Deli)

--Juniper and Spruce (in Center City One; this is now a Convenient Food Mart)

--27th and Lombard (closed and abandoned)

--7th and Fitzwater (approximate location; closed and abandoned)

actually that one was at 8th & bainbridge, and is now an independent place, not closed.

--16th and Walnut (the "Wawa Express Food Court," which sold no groceries; from what I heard, the building owner jacked up the rent.  A new Cole-Haan shoe store now fills this space)

--Broad and Race (this became an indie; it is now a Quiznos Sub franchise)

The Center City locations still open that I know of are:

--11th and Arch (perhaps ironically given this topic, just down the block from the Reading Terminal Market)

--10th and Walnut (street floor of a Jefferson dorm)

don't forget

--20th & locust

--20th & chestnut

--4th & ... like, queen or so?

--18th & arch

--is there still one down at 2nd & south?

maybe wawa discussion should be its own topic.

Yeah, the 2nd & south is still there and you can search for locations on their website here:

http://www.wawa.com/default.asp

As a former employee, there have been numerous changes since my days, but I think they still offer good hoagies, coffee and convenience. I just miss the 'interaction' I used to like with the customers behind the deli. Is it just me or ordering your hoagies by kiosk is okay, but how do you specify, 'slice my ham razor thin' on that thing? LOL....

I will agree for 3:00 A.M. they are tough to beat, but I can't see myself getting a hoagie at 3:00 in the afternoon there with so many other choices.

However I've been to some parties who would get their foot long hoagies and I knew for that the quality/cost ratio is excellent.

As born Yankee and long time transplanted southerner I'd say purely from a meal standpoint they beat the Waffle House for 24/7, but it lacks the charm of our WH.

Nobody eats at that restaurant anymore. It's always too crowded.

---Yogi Berra

When I first moved to Philly I thought Wawa was the stupidest name I had ever heard. Now I'm used to it I guess. My cousin-in law (I don't know how else to describe him) volunteered at the Republication Nat'l Convention years ago, sort of just answering questions for the conventioneers who showed up. For those that asked where they could get coffee or cigs or whatever, he was told that if he directed people to Wawa, that he should explain what Wawa was, otherwise he'd get a lot of confused looks.

Believe me, I tied my shoes once, and it was an overrated experience - King Jaffe Joffer, ruler of Zamunda

I used to love WaWa. When they opened the one in Jenkintown I was thrilled - fresh mile 24/7 just a few blocks away! But now it's been ruined.

The original managers (a great couple) moved upward and onward, and the new managers haven't a clue about customer service. They're too busy talking to each other and playing the store music at a zillion decibels.

Last time I was in, the music was so loud I was appalled. And it wasn't just me. Another customer looked at me and said, "Is it just me, or is this music ear-splitting?" I told her I felt like I was in a bar.

So, I wrote to WaWa and complained. Received a form letter back. Nothing has changed.

I still buy milk there, but not much else.

It has long been my assertion that Mike Tyson lost to Buster Douglas because Tyson wolfed down several WA-WA hoagies before the fight.

If you get a chance to see the fight on any sports show, you can see Tyson's cornerman holding a super WA-WA squirt bottle that Tyson keeps drinking from.

I kid you not.

Kevin

DarkSide Member #005-03-07-06

It has long been my assertion that Mike Tyson lost to Buster Douglas because Tyson wolfed down several WA-WA hoagies before the fight.

If you get a chance to see the fight on any sports show, you can see Tyson's cornerman holding a super WA-WA squirt bottle that Tyson keeps drinking from.

I kid you not.

Kevin

I am very confident that whatever was in the bottle was not a refill from WaWa, nor a Slurpee from 7-11.

My friend from college came to town way back in the day and he do thought it was the single dumbest name he ever heard. Florida raised wife gets a kick out of it, but as as Ellen Cho said, I guess I was used to it and never gave the name much thought until out of towners kept cracking up at the name.

Nobody eats at that restaurant anymore. It's always too crowded.

---Yogi Berra

On a slightly different note....has anyone been to their headquarters?

A few years ago I did some consulting for them and it was one of the most unique "corporate headquarters" I have been to. On one side they have a working dairy farm and in a large shed like complex is their office, with an old-school style board room with pictures of the founders.

One nice perk is that all the wawa products in their cafe are free.

I wish it were a publicly listed company :hmmm:

I kid you not.

Kevin

I am very confident that whatever was in the bottle was not a refill from WaWa, nor a Slurpee from 7-11.

My friend from college came to town way back in the day and he do thought it was the single dumbest name he ever heard. Florida raised wife gets a kick out of it, but as as Ellen Cho said, I guess I was used to it and never gave the name much thought until out of towners kept cracking up at the name.

Wawa does not = boo hoo. "Wawa", apparently, is a Lenni Lenape (indigenous peoples') word for the Canada Goose that was/is found in the Delaware Valley. Or maybe that does mean boo hoo after all, especially if you've ever had to clean up after one.

Sorry to give you the bird,

Jamie

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

Living in Lower Bucks we are infested with 7-11s but have few WAWAs, at least in the Morrisville/Yardley area. I love the coffee at WAWA and drive most days to the super busy Yardley WAWA for my coffee needs. I have not found better coffee than WAWa and although I despise lines I am willing to wait for their coffee. This store is a goldmine, as are most other WAWAs I have visited.

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." - Virginia Woolf

Living in Lower Bucks we are infested with 7-11s but have few WAWAs, at least in the Morrisville/Yardley area. I love the coffee at WAWA and drive most days to the super busy Yardley WAWA for my coffee needs. I have not found better coffee than WAWa and although I despise lines I am willing to wait for their coffee. This store is a goldmine, as are most other WAWAs I have visited.

What kind of coffee does Wawa serve?

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

What kind of coffee does Wawa serve?

They serve their own brand. Unfortunately, there is not much detail on their webpage.

No, but there is an interesting offer for a fundraising book.

"Images of America: Wawa" is a title in the "Images of America" series from Arcadia Publishing (Charleston, S.C.), written by historian Maria M. Thompson and Wawa Executive VP Donald H. Price. Like the other titles in this series, this is an illustrated history, with lots of photos from the company archives. Royalties from its sale benefit the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia.

(The title is in keeping with the series' focus, which features niche histories and specialized topics. I have two of the books in the series, "Gay and Lesbian Philadelphia" and "Boston's Red Line: Bridging the Charles from Alewife to Braintree.")

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

"Images of America: Wawa" is a title in the "Images of America" series from Arcadia Publishing (Charleston, S.C.), written by historian Maria M. Thompson and Wawa Executive VP Donald H. Price.  Like the other titles in this series, this is an illustrated history, with lots of photos from the company archives.  Royalties from its sale benefit the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia.

Awe.Some.

Good thing the missus doesn't read this forum, because I know what somebody is getting for a birthday present this year...

• 6 years later...

I live in the Philly burbs...

I took my son for his post Karate stop at Wawa market for a hoagie and salad.

While waiting for his Italian Hoagie to be custom made for him I picked up a USO

benefit pamphlet from the counter. i opened it up to read it and was very surprised

to see this

6SHaz.jpg

OMG you Floridians are getting at least 8 Wawas..

Im so happy for you. You will be getting HEALTHY convenience food, 20 coffee choices, non RBH and antibiotic free dairy items,

custom made food, and cheap gas!

Congrats!

We Philadelphians welcome you to our club.

http://www.wawa.com

Edited by GlorifiedRice (log)

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Wawa can be found in Maryland and Virginia these days, too, as well as Florida.

Yeah...

The Florida model is changing the way the Pennsylvania stores are being built and laid out now...

Reading the Florida Yelp reviews of Wawa is awesome. people all over the country are begging for Wawas

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

• 1 year later...

What's not funny is that you can no longer get cold cuts at a WaWa.  So, I no longer go to WaWa. The last time I was in a WaWA  I had so much trouble with the touch screen that the kid finally gave up, asked me what I wanted, and put in himself. The kid probably thought I was a senile old fart. I marveled at the fact that WaWa had managed to turn a simple request "I'd like a turkey breast sandwich on a kaiser roll with lettuce , tomato and mayo please" into an electronic ordeal, but it was the only place open in the early evening on Christmas Day.  (The reason why I was in a WaWa on Christmas evening trying to buy a turkey sandwich on a kaiser roll with lettuce tomato and mayo  can check out my contribution to the "worse meal" thread.

• Like 1

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

Oh dear.  I have not patronized WaWa in a long, long time.  Not because I do not love their hoagies.  It's just because in my current semi-retired financial situation I need to forgo an expensive lunch.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On 7/28/2016 at 7:27 PM, Arey said:

What's not funny is that you can no longer get cold cuts at a WaWa.  So, I no longer go to WaWa. The last time I was in a WaWA  I had so much trouble with the touch screen that the kid finally gave up, asked me what I wanted, and put in himself. The kid probably thought I was a senile old fart. I marveled at the fact that WaWa had managed to turn a simple request "I'd like a turkey breast sandwich on a kaiser roll with lettuce , tomato and mayo please" into an electronic ordeal, but it was the only place open in the early evening on Christmas Day.  (The reason why I was in a WaWa on Christmas evening trying to buy a turkey sandwich on a kaiser roll with lettuce tomato and mayo  can check out my contribution to the "worse meal" thread.

This is the post I believe Arey may have been referring to, and it is hilarious, as is most of the thread it's in. Arey's hopefully worst Christmas ever. We all wish you much better Christmases in the future.

> ^ . . ^ <