• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hudson House, Nyack

FabulousFoodBabe

Went there on Saturday night, very last-minute plans. Initial impressions were that it's a really interesting place. It's definitely less suburban than we were expecting out in the counties, but we only know from Westchester :hmmm: Service was warm, stylish and all of them have great hair.

My husband is not a fan of the types of menus at Craft and here at HH. He'd rather not think that hard about what to order. I loved it -- lots of good choices, especially for starters/entrees. For most of the dishes, one can order a large or small plate, and they come beautifully presented on a narrow, oval white plate.

We started with a salad, grilled shrimp with a mild curry sauce, and cured salmon. Shrimp were two big ones on a skewer -- closer to U12 than U10 -- done perfectly with the right snap. I was thrilled to see that the tail shell had been removed, and very well. My salmon was served with a bit of dill, and the cure was gentle. Nice.

Mr. FB loved his crab cakes, though they had a bit too much carrot for my liking. He was nuts about the matchstick potatoes we ordered, and kept likening them to those canned potato sticks his Mamma fed him as a kid :shock: We also had orzo with sweet corn, pepper and basil -- and I had the maguro tuna burger, served rare on brioche, with a very spicy mayonnaise.

Dessert was (for him), strawberry/blueberry shortcakes on orange biscuit (we agreed that the biscuits needed work; he's a Southern boy and takes them very seriously). For me, it was the sticky toffee pudding with crystallized ginger. Ahhhh.

Definitely worth the drive, which took much longer than planned thanks to the 18-wheeler that broke down on the TZ. We'll be back -- there were lots of things on the menu we wanted to try. Sure wish they had more wines by the glass, though the entire list was very nice.

Last -- I was surprised to see what a happenin' place Nyack is on a weekend!

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

• 2 months later...

Went there on Saturday night, very last-minute plans.  Initial impressions were that it's a really interesting place.  It's definitely less suburban than we were expecting out in the counties, but we only know from Westchester  :hmmm:  Service was warm, stylish and all of them have great hair. 

My husband is not a fan of the types of menus at Craft and here at HH.  He'd rather not think that hard about what to order.  I loved it -- lots of good choices, especially for starters/entrees.  For most of the dishes, one can order a large or small plate, and they come beautifully presented on a narrow, oval white plate.

We started with a salad, grilled shrimp with a mild curry sauce, and cured salmon.  Shrimp were two big ones on a skewer -- closer to U12 than U10 -- done perfectly with the right snap.  I was thrilled to see that the tail shell had been removed, and very well.  My salmon was served with a bit of dill, and the cure was gentle. Nice.

Mr. FB loved his crab cakes, though they had a bit too much carrot for my liking.  He was nuts about the matchstick potatoes we ordered, and kept likening them to those canned potato sticks his Mamma fed him as a kid  :shock:  We also had orzo with sweet corn, pepper and basil -- and I had the maguro tuna burger, served rare on brioche, with a very spicy mayonnaise. 

Dessert was (for him), strawberry/blueberry shortcakes on orange biscuit (we agreed that the biscuits needed work; he's a Southern boy and takes them very seriously). For me, it was the sticky toffee pudding with crystallized ginger.  Ahhhh.

Definitely worth the drive, which took much longer than planned thanks to the 18-wheeler that broke down on the TZ.  We'll be back -- there were lots of things on the menu we wanted to try.  Sure wish they had more wines by the glass, though the entire list was very nice.

You may be interested to know Wayne Nish chef/ co-owner from March Restaurant NYC has been the consulting chef at Hudson House since May 2005. This restaurant has been through a complete culinary transformation. It is fantastic to have such a talent here in Nyack. J

Heh. I am convinced that the Karma Fairy waited until I had graduated from Nyack High School and totally left town before allowing Nyack to be "discovered." That was back in the mid-1970s, and they've been juicing up the downtown ever since, renovating all those charming old buildings and putting in all kinds of shops and cafes and whatnot. I very seldom get back to visit as I have no family living there anymore, but whenever I do it kind of blows my mind, because the Nyack of my childhood was a combination of sleepy and going out of business.

You may be interested to know Wayne Nish chef/ co-owner from March Restaurant NYC has been the consulting chef at Hudson House since May 2005. This restaurant has been through a complete culinary transformation.  It is fantastic to have such a talent here in Nyack. J

Oops--meant to say: welcome to eGullet, Chezbeann, from a former Nyacker! How long have you been living there?

You may be interested to know Wayne Nish chef/ co-owner from March Restaurant NYC has been the consulting chef at Hudson House since May 2005. This restaurant has been through a complete culinary transformation.  It is fantastic to have such a talent here in Nyack. J

Oops--meant to say: welcome to eGullet, Chezbeann, from a former Nyacker! How long have you been living there?

On and off for much of my life..

Wayne Nish, from March, am I correct? (I loveloveloved March, when I was close enough to be there). Next time at HH, though, we've got to plan a time when the Helen Hayes Theater is not having some show or other. Parking was really difficult!
"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

Wayne Nish, from March, am I correct? (I loveloveloved March, when I was close enough to be there). Next time at HH, though, we've got to plan a time when the Helen Hayes Theater is not having some show or other. Parking was really difficult!

Yes of March Restaurant. :-)