• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lincoln Center Area

Lemons

We have tickets for Light in the Piazza on Sunday, August 7 at 3:00. Does anyone have any suggestions for a moderately priced restaurant in the Lincon Center area? My wife likes French food when we are in Manhattan but it can be anything as long as the food and atmosphere is good.

Thanks

If you're seeing Light in the Piazza, wouldn't you want to have Italian food?? :smile:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

An excellent (and often overlooked) restaurant is GABRIELS--60th street between Ninth and Columbus Circle. (11 west 60th) Across from the TW Center.

Food is Italian (Northern mostly) and very very good.

The ambience is nice-high energy--good for pre theatre--.

Nice bar nice wine list.

This place has been there for years under same owner (Gabe Aiello) who is always on premise.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm looking for a good place to eat near Lincoln Center for a 2 person birthday celebration. It doesn't have to be the "in" place. Nice atmosphere, good food and service. French, Asian or American.

Cafe Luxembourg is always a good, classic choice.

If you're willing to venture a bit farther north, Ouest is one of my favorite spots on the UWS.

Cafe Des Artistes is another classic - a bit more upscale, but still within reason.

Have a good time! :smile:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Although I haven't been in years, I have a soft spot for Picholine. Ouest is really another neighborhood. Of course there's Jean Georges and the TimeWarner batch.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Cafe Des Artistes is one of the most romantic spots in New York anywhere for that matter). The food is solid if a bit uninspired and the service is excellent.

Picholine-superb food.

also you might want to consider Shun Lee West.--the food is very good.

and

I know it is Italian (Northern) but my wife and I have been longtime fans of Gabriels on 60th Street. This place has been in business for many years and has been consistant in providing really good food and service--the atmosphere is nice as well.

You might want to check out Pasha. It's romantic, it's different, and I believe that it's technically part of Asia.

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

You might want to check out Pasha.  It's romantic, it's different, and I believe that it's technically part of Asia.

Pasha is great! It's Turkish, and is located at 71st and Columbus.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

You might want to check out Pasha.  It's romantic, it's different, and I believe that it's technically part of Asia.

Pasha is great! It's Turkish, and is located at 71st and Columbus.

I love pasha too. very good food.

• 9 months later...

17 year old... with 7 year old tastes... my apologizes to the 7 year olds.... :-)

Going to the Met tonite for the opening of the ballet season. I'll have the rare opportunity to not only be in NYC with my 17-year old daughter, but to have her there all dressed up for the gala. I'd LOVE to take her somewhere wonderful for dinner but these days her tastes run more towards Chili's & TGIFridays than anywhere of any substance.

Suggestions around Lincoln center where I can get a decent meal without her sitting across the table from me with a glass of water, an uneaten entree and that "look" on her face?

Going to the Met tonite for the opening of the ballet season. I'll have the rare opportunity to not only be in NYC with my 17-year old daughter.... Suggestions around Lincoln center where I can get a decent meal without her sitting across the table from me with a glass of water, an uneaten entree and that "look" on her face?

A few choices extremely close to Lincoln Center would include Rosa Mexicano (Mexican), Josephina (a bit of everything), Cafe Fiorello (Italian), and Shun Lee West (Chinese).

Going to the Met tonite for the opening of the ballet season. I'll have the rare opportunity to not only be in NYC with my 17-year old daughter.... Suggestions around Lincoln center where I can get a decent meal without her sitting across the table from me with a glass of water, an uneaten entree and that "look" on her face?

A few choices extremely close to Lincoln Center would include Rosa Mexicano (Mexican), Josephina (a bit of everything), Cafe Fiorello (Italian), and Shun Lee West (Chinese).

Thanks for the suggestions. I think a good burger place may be what I'm looking for. Two years ago, I took her to the Grand Tier at Lincoln Center. I loved it, she didn't. Last year, we did Cafe Fiorello. I loved the antipasto bar, etc. She ordered pasta with sauce, plain. Nothing else. A waste. This time, I'm determined to take her somewhere where she'll actually enjoy ordering and eating. Burgers are a sure bet as are crepes, oddly enough. She loves Rue Du Crepe downtown.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think a good burger place may be what I'm looking for.  Two years ago, I took her to the Grand Tier at Lincoln Center. I loved it, she didn't.  Last year, we did Cafe Fiorello. I loved the antipasto bar, etc. She ordered pasta with sauce, plain. Nothing else.  A waste. This time, I'm determined to take her somewhere where she'll actually enjoy ordering and eating. Burgers are a sure bet as are crepes, oddly enough. She loves Rue Du Crepe downtown.

Finding a burger on a dinner menu at a nice restaurant can be really difficult. They'll often serve one at lunch (e.g., Cafe Luxenbourg), but not at dinner. However, according to their on-line menu, SQC, on Columbus Ave. and 72nd St., serves a sirloin burger with frites at dinner. I've never eaten there, but I recall posts on this board indicating that the food's quite good. So, you can please your daughter and still have what I would hope will be an enjoyable meal yourself.

17 year old... with 7 year old tastes... my apologizes to the 7 year olds.... :-)

Going to the Met tonite for the opening of the ballet season. I'll have the rare opportunity to not only be in NYC with my 17-year old daughter, but to have her there all dressed up for the gala. I'd LOVE to take her somewhere wonderful for dinner but these days her tastes run more towards Chili's & TGIFridays than anywhere of any substance. 

Suggestions around Lincoln center where I can get a decent meal without her sitting across the table from me with a glass of water, an uneaten entree and that "look" on her face?

@SQC is a good choice for a burger, definitely.

Queenie Takes Manhattan

@SQC is a good choice for a burger, definitely.

Sounds perfect. Just made a res.

Thanks!

• 8 months later...

I'm looking for a place to have a nice dinner within 10 or so blocks (negotiable) of going to The Met. Any current suggestions? Price isn't a factor, in that I don't need to specify 'cheap', but we don't want to go to Picholine that early. Will I do any better than Telepan? Any current favorites? We usually do Nice Matin, but we're looking to try someplace new. Thanks.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

I'm looking for a place to have a nice dinner within 10 or so blocks (negotiable) of going to The Met.  Any current suggestions?  Price isn't a factor, in that I don't need to specify 'cheap', but we don't want to go to Picholine that early.  Will I do any better than Telepan?  Any current favorites?  We usually do Nice Matin, but we're looking to try someplace new.  Thanks.

If you've never been to Telepan, that should be your choice. If Picholine is excluded, my favorite in that neighborhood is Compass.

Your 10-block radius includes the Time-Warner Center, so Café Gray and Porter House are also possibilities. My old standbys include Josephina, Shun Lee West, Sapphire and Rosa Mexicano.