• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

German Curry Sauce

I am looking to make a schnitzel with a curry sauce.. I have had curry sauce at a few german places and was hoping to recreate this.. Does anyone have a good recipe for the curry sauce, i also wouldnt turn away from any schnitzel advice..

Thanks

are you out of your mind GERMAN curry sauce ??

there is no such thing as a german curry sauce in the sense of a "real" sauce.

indeed there is a concoction with this name, used for currywurst. but this is most of the time a spiced up ketchup with lots of sugar chilli and curry powder, sometimes with a splash of convenience hollandaise... YUK :wacko:

if you want a nice oldfashioned currysauce use the escoffier recipe, it yields nice results...

nguten

t.

toertchen toertchen

patissier chocolatier cafe

cologne, germany

Yes scheich i am out of my mind.. I am so out of my mind that I made up the fact that I had a brown curry sauce at two german resaurants in New York.. Are you one of those people who likes to answer questions with another questions... If you havent heard of it, keep quiet and try to learn something.. Thats why i asked the question..

Edited by Daniel (log)

indeed there is a concoction with this name, used for currywurst. but this is most of the time a spiced up ketchup with lots of sugar chilli and curry powder, sometimes with a splash of convenience hollandaise... YUK  :wacko:

if you want a nice oldfashioned currysauce use the escoffier recipe, it yields nice results...

nguten

t.

I liked currywurst though it had no sugar just curry powder and ketchup with good german sausages cant think of the name.

Perfection cant be reached, but it can be strived for!

Yes scheich i am out of my mind.. I am so out of my mind that I made up the fact that I had a brown curry sauce at two german resaurants in New York.. Are you one of those people who likes to answer questions with another questions... If you havent heard of it, keep quiet and try to learn something.. Thats why i asked the question..

Daniel, I suspect Scheich (being a gin-U-ine German) was teasing you a bit. Curry Sauce comes in large red plastic ketchup bottles in Germany. It is the sort of thing you only crave when you are quite drunk. Actually as I am rather drunk right now, I could really go for some currywurst. It's not really a "German" food but a weird sort of street hybrid. I've never seen it in a restaurant in Germany, so I can see why someone would be surprised you got it on your schnitzel. It is basically garden variety ketchup with garden variety curry powder, and probably, as Scheich said, commercial chilli and possibly a small quantity of some sort of mayo. I assume that is the stuff you are talking about? (It is a fairly dark sauce...)

Mein lieber Koellner (Schneich)

Oh yes there is a 'German' Curry Sauce.

It is made by adding just any pre-mix jar 'Curry Powder' to any Veal or Chicken base Veloute.

Believe me, ask the 'elderly' , every Restaurant in Heiniland in the late fifties and sixties had this on their "Sonntag Gute Karte" : 'Bombay Art Huhn auf Reis' or

'Huehnerfricassee Indische Art mit Ananas'

I had to learn to make it during my Apprenticeship in Muenster-Westfalen early fifties.

Daniel, see above Veloute !

The Art of Schnitzel, "Wiener Schnitzel is always Veal !!"

But 'Schnitzel' can be any other light meat, such as Pork, Chicken or Turkey

Thin slices of veal, I use the top round cut. You don't have to worry so much about tenderness because the veal is pounded. Place it between sheets of plastic and pound it flat. Season with Salt & white Pepper.

The flour coating is just a dusting, the eggs are beaten with a little cream and a fork, and the bread crumbs should be unseasoned and white. Be sure to have enough bread crumbs to dip the veal into, and turn it so it comes away coated without having to shovel or pat the crumbs on. Everything is put on very gently, at the last minute ! very important !

Your pan should be two inches deep. And you need a good half inch of oil, with a little butter to give a nutty flavor. Fry each schnitzel individually and keep it moving in the oil by sliding and gently rotating the pan on the burner. That's the only way to get the coating on the veal to form a puckery, crunchy surface.

Peter

Daniel,

how are they serving it with the schnitzel? On the side?

I'm puzzled 'cause it sounds to me that otherwise the sauce is going to be making your nice crisp schnitzel soggy, and where's the fun in that?

I haven't eaten it here in Germany (most of what I cook is Indian, and what the Germans do with curry and curry powder is really not to my taste). However, I just looked it up in Das goldene Kochbuch. This is (sort of) the German equivalent to The Joy of Cooking.

Brown 1 chopped onion in 50 grams butter, add 50 grams flour and form a roux. Stir in 2 tab. curry powder, then 1 grated apple and 2 tab. tomato puree. Add 1 liter (this seems an awful lot to me) bouillon or veloute, bring to a boil. Add 1 minced clove garlic, and a small piece finely chopped orange peel. Add salt to taste, and simmer for 40 minutes. Stir in 10 ml. coconut milk shortly before serving.

Like I said, I haven't tasted it, and can't vouch for it.

And currywurst? Blech. Tomato ketchup mounded onto a cut up cooked sausage, and then the whole concoction sprinkled with uncooked curry powder. It's alllegedly a Berlin specialty, and I can't escape the wretched stuff. German sausages are usually good, and then they do THAT to them.

Daniel, I suspect Scheich (being a gin-U-ine German) was teasing you a bit. Curry Sauce comes in large red plastic ketchup bottles in Germany. It is the sort of thing you only crave when you are quite drunk. Actually as I am rather drunk right now, I could really go for some currywurst. It's not really a "German" food but a weird sort of street hybrid. I've never seen it in a restaurant in Germany, so I can see why someone would be surprised you got it on your schnitzel. It is basically garden variety ketchup with garden variety curry powder, and probably, as Scheich said, commercial chilli and possibly a small quantity of some sort of mayo. I assume that is the stuff you are talking about? (It is a fairly dark sauce...)

Hello Behemoth

Currywurst is a German creation. Herta Heuwer, a Berlin woman has sold September 1949 the first one in her kiosk at the Stuttgarter Platz in Berlin. She prophetically experimented with sausage and spices and discovered the skinless sausage in ketchup sprinkled with currypowder. "Currywurst". Other sources tells about Hamburgian creators a few years earlier. But what cames down to was its first saw the light of day in Germany. Yes it's not served in restaurants but in certain places like fastfood (Schnellimbiss) where you don't sit down to eat. You may find it also in Autobahnrestaurants, but that's not the real Currywurst.

"German Currysauce" is per se a contrdiction in terms. The main ingredient is as mentioned the curry which is a mixture of various spices and was first used in Asiatic countries mainly in India.

A sauce with German curry or a German sauce with curry is something we don't have. There is a curry sauce for currywurst which differs from region to region. The following I found in the internet.

CURRY SAUCE FOR CURRYWURST

1 tablespoon margarine or oil

2 tablespoons finely minced onion

2-4 tablespoons good quality curry powder

1/2 to 1 tablespoon sweet Hungarian paprika

2 cups ketchup

1 cup water

Sauté the onion in the margarine or oil until it is transparent (DO NOT BROWN). Add curry powder and paprika to onions and quickly sauté just to bring out the flavor, then add the ketchup and water. Simmer uncovered until the sauce is the thickness you desire. Taste and adjust seasonings if desired. Serve over Bratwurst or Rindswurst with an extra sprinkling of curry powder.

I agree with you concerning the curried sauces in red plastic bottles including the Heinz's.

H.B. aka "Legourmet"

It is made by adding just any pre-mix jar 'Curry Powder' to any Veal or Chicken base Veloute.

Believe me, ask the 'elderly' , every Restaurant in Heiniland in the late fifties and sixties had this on their "Sonntag Gute Karte" : 'Bombay Art Huhn auf Reis' or

I had to learn to make it during my Apprenticeship in Muenster-Westfalen early fifties.

Thin slices of veal,  I use the top round cut. You don't have to worry so much about tenderness because the veal is pounded. Place it between sheets of plastic and pound it flat. Season with Salt & white Pepper.

The flour coating is just a dusting, the eggs are beaten with a little cream and a fork, and the bread crumbs should be unseasoned and white. Be sure to have enough bread crumbs to dip the veal into, and turn it so it comes away coated without having to shovel or pat the crumbs on. Everything is put on very gently, at the last minute ! very important !

Your pan should be two inches deep. And you need a good half inch of oil, with a little butter to give a nutty flavor. Fry each schnitzel individually and keep it moving in the oil by sliding and gently rotating the pan on the burner. That's the only way to get the coating on the veal to form a puckery, crunchy surface.

Peter...

Thanks so much for that marvelous recipe, which I am printing out and saving. Yours is the best! You have provided some marvelous tips on improving preparation technique and the taste of the final product. We were cooking several together, but will modify to one at a time.

Dr. Paul N. Gervais

Thin slices of veal,  I use the top round cut. You don't have to worry so much about tenderness because the veal is pounded. Place it between sheets of plastic and pound it flat. Season with Salt & white Pepper.

Lieber Peter,

as i said in my last post, the veloute/curry powder thing is not german at all but a recipe from auguste escoffiers cookbook which is pretty much french...

Dear Daniel,

i didnt mean to piss you off with my post, but the fact that you had some weird kind of sauce in a new yorkan restaurant doesnt make it german. i gladly invite you to cologne, to show you a few real german sauces wich are very good too.. (rheinische sauerbratensauce beeing one of them) ;-)

cheers

t.

toertchen toertchen

patissier chocolatier cafe

cologne, germany

i gladly invite you to cologne, to show you a few real german sauces wich are very good too.. (rheinische sauerbratensauce beeing one of them) ;-)

....or "Düsseldorfer Altbier Soße" a dark sauce made with a slightly bitter dark beer which you just can find in my lovely hometown DÜSSELDORF !

Why in heaven do they sell Currysauce in a german restaurant ? Is that legal ?