• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Canned Food Confessions

Ellen Shapiro

All sorts of beans and tomato products. Swanson chicken broth. Chipotles in adobo, Starkist chunk light tuna in water and Progresso tuna in olive oil, anchovies, soup from Trader Joe's in the kettle-shaped cans, pineapple juice, straw mushrooms, smoked oysters, salmon, Season smoked kippers

Campbell's Chicken with Rice soup (a childhood favorite that won't go away)

Canned clams for quick clam sauce

Tomatoes, tomato paste

Ro-tel, but only to go with Velveeta for Redneck Queso!

Tuna

Canned corn

Lotsa beans

Curry paste

Condensed milk

Coconut milk

Peas (blech, but the kids like them -- blechhh blechhh blechhh)

When I was growing up, my mother frequently served canned asparagus and canned mushrooms on "special" occasions. I loved their taste back then. I'm not sure I could eat them today, but I just might!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Ro-tel, but only to go with Velveeta for Redneck Queso!

That makes me laugh-- about 10 years ago on some random "Oprah" show they had these college girls arguing about something. One of the girls said, "Well I always bring the Ro-Tel dip!" Oprah looked at them like WTF? "What is that?"

The girl gave the recipe--Velveeta and Rot-el and then they cut for commerical.

-----------------

AMUSE ME

I'm average,

Anchovies

Artichoke Hearts

Beans

Beets

Black Olives

Caviar

Hearts of Palm

Pineapple

Pineapple Juice

Pumpkin

Salmon

Sardines

Tomato anything

Israeli Pickles

Tuna

V8

Water Chestnuts

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

On any given day/week:

Tuna

Clams

Whole tomatos and tomato paste

Black olives

Pineapple

Peaches

Mandarin oranges

Black beans (for salsa)

Smoked oysters (reserved for the saddlebag when camping with horses)

Campbells tomato

No green beans; my daughter would go on strike. She's become addicted to the fresh, which suits me just fine.

Someday the power of human stupidity will be harnessed and the energy crisis will be over.

Beans (white, black, red, kidney, pinto, red beans in sauce)

Muir Glen Fire Roasted Tomatoes and a few cans of Del Monte too.

No salt added tomato sauce

Glory Collards & Mixed Greens (love them), have also tried their butter beans & they weren't half bad.

Coconut Milk

Tuna

Sardines

Goya Pulpo in hot sauce (baby octopus; eaten on crackers picked up on this from my Puerto Rican ex)

Baby Corn

Chipotles in Adobo

Sauerkraut (passable, but I sure do miss my grandmothers sauerkraut)

Rotel

Pineapple (in its own juice)

And horror of horrors ( :laugh: ) Spaghetti-O's (kids love em for a quick occasional lunch/dinner) and Campbells Chunky Baked Potato with Bacon soup. I love this stuff, although I do doctor it up a little and add some scallion, cheese, hot sauce & lots of pepper.

Today is going to be one of those days.....

I just checked:

black beans, garbanzo beans (usually some canellini and baked beans too)

diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, tiny cans of V8 juice

diced hot green chiles

bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, baby corn, jackfruit (usually lychees too)

coconut milk

Dave's albacore tuna, italian tuna, red salmon

Trader Joe's salmon chowder soup

fish broth

chicken broth (in the cartons)

The tinned crab works well in the "The Best Recipe" recipe for crab quiche. Does anyone know why the tin always has paper inside it? Is it for the cat to fish out of the rubbish and shred? :)

We always keep a few tins of baked beans, spaghetti, and creamed corn around for "on toast" purposes.

Some of my older veg cookbooks call for tinned vegeburger. I saw some at the market the other day and I would almost try it... :)

One thing that struck me in this thread was "mandarin oranges" as you call them. Are they available in the Northern Hemisphere fresh? We are now in the glut of the season so I can understand that they would be out of season for you, and I am buying tonnes for my partner as he just adores them. I cannot ever recall seeing them canned or tinned in Australia. What do you use the tinned ones for??

One thing that struck me in this thread was "mandarin oranges" as you call them. Are they available in the Northern Hemisphere fresh? We are now in the glut of the season so I can understand that they would be out of season for you, and I am buying tonnes for my partner as he just adores them. I cannot ever recall seeing them canned or tinned in Australia. What do you use the tinned ones for??

Here, it's rare to find mandarin oranges fresh! (Closest relatives are tangerines and clementines.) I'm surprised you haven't seen canned ones in Australia -- they're usually in the Asian food aisle or markets. Most of them are canned in China, under Japanese brand names.

Theyre peeled and sectioned, and canned in a light sugar-syrup. Good for eating chilled as-is, using in desserts (from mixed fruits to cheesecake), in spinach salad or other salads. Children love them as snacks and there's even one company here that offers them in child-size portions in plastic cups. Fast-food chain Wendy's has placed them on its menu as a healthy alternative to French fries in kids' meals.

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

Here, it's rare to find mandarin oranges fresh! (Closest relatives are tangerines and clementines.) I'm surprised you haven't seen canned ones in Australia -- they're usually in the Asian food aisle or markets. Most of them are canned in China, under Japanese brand names.

Theyre peeled and sectioned, and canned in a light sugar-syrup. Good for eating chilled as-is, using in desserts (from mixed fruits to cheesecake), in spinach salad or other salads. Children love them as snacks and there's even one company here that offers them in child-size portions in plastic cups. Fast-food chain Wendy's has placed them on its menu as a healthy alternative to French fries in kids' meals.

Edited by Syrah (log)

That's interesting. Thank you for your explanation. Mandarins are a popular lunch item here too. I will have a look at the Asian supermarket for the canned ones.

I have seen the at woolworth's and coles in australia. It is not always canned but the fruitcups exist under multiple brands.

Edited by Arghavan (log)

That's interesting. Thank you for your explanation. Mandarins are a popular lunch item here too. I will have a look at the Asian supermarket for the canned ones.

I have seen the at woolworth's and coles in australia. It is not always canned but the fruitcups exist under multiple brands.

I guess I don't spend much time in that part of the supermarket.