• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

custard powder ( creme de poudre)

tan319

dear tan you can be sure that i did "get it" !

throwing 90 grams to 1 liter of milk gets you enough art. flavor to overpower anything else you put into it. ( i tried it) i dont say the outcome tastes particulary "bad", what i do say is that your pastry cream tastes pretty much exactly like the mass produced factory stuff available in you local walmart.

also i think theres a big difference in using iqf fruit which is nothing but the fruit frozen when perfectly ripe (which is absolutely ok with me, i use it all the time) and putting artificial stuff in your product which will alter the taste beyond recognition. apart from that i think there is absolutly NO reason whatsoever to freeze pastry cream, or a finished product with it in a "fine dining" kitchen or a pastry shop with only the slightest artisan ambition. Make it from scratch, every day !!!

somehow iam beginning to think that some evil powers have altered our taste buds... :-)

certainly i dont use a questionable product because someone else whos a "respected chef" uses it...

cheers

t.

toertchen toertchen

patissier chocolatier cafe

cologne, germany

• 2 years later...

I have a recipe that calls for custard powder, does anyone know of a substitute?

Also How much powder would I need for a 1/2 sheet of gelatin?

Mark

www.roseconfections.com

I have a recipe that calls for custard powder, does anyone know of a substitute?

Also How much powder would I need for a 1/2 sheet of gelatin?

Just substitute the same amount of cornstarch.

In school I had professors who always made pastry cream without creme poudre, and some who always used it. And in my workplace I've made recipes calling for it with the actual product and with cornstarch instead. I've never been able to discern any difference.

Brian Ibbotson

Pastry Sous for Production and Menu Research & Development

Sous Chef for Food Safety and Quality Assurance

was this ignorant fool really me three years ago... my god... :-)

since we opened our french patisserie two years ago i learned quite a few things the hard way, including that a little custard powder here and there does miracles ;-)

and yes the elsay stuff is really good...

toertchen toertchen

patissier chocolatier cafe

cologne, germany