• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

OLA (MIA) CLOSED

robyn

I had reservations at Ola next week. Apparently the restaurant closed its doors on Biscayne Boulevard. It plans to reopen in a couple of months somewhere in South Beach. Frankly - if my brother didn't know about my reservation (he told me about the closing) - I would have showed up and found the place closed. I think this is very inconsiderate - just plain rude - not notifying people with reservations that you're closing. Robyn

I agree. I live right by OLA and saw two U-hauls parked outside one day. I called the restaurant out of curiousity and there's a recording saying that they'll be moving somewhere in South Beach (where, who knows) and in the meantime to visit OLA Steak. Maybe you can point your rage towards OLA Steak and get some kind of compensation for your trouble.

It's not exactly rage - more like I think they could have done better - especially since they're supposed to be a big deal operation with restaurants in several cities. And the best way for me to show how I feel is by not patronizing their restaurants.

I made the reservation on Opentable - and I suppose the least *it* could have done was notify me.

But not to worry - I changed my Casa Tua reservation to the "Ola" night - am still going to Mosaico with my brother and sister-in-law - and will be spending the 3rd night with family (brother and sister-in-law and father) at a place to be determined.

Do you have any new places to recommend? My BIL and SIL live on Miami Beach - and we'll be staying near downtown on Brickell. Seems like restaurants in Miami open and close pretty fast these days (the 2 places we dined at in Merrick Place last year have closed - La Broche opened and closed before I even got a chance to make a reservation there - and now there's Ola). BTW - I lived in Miami for 20+ years - so I am pretty much interested in exploring newer places that weren't around when I lived there. Robyn

Edited by robyn (log)

I know what you mean. Considering how professional the operation seemed to be when I visited OLA they should've made some attempt to contact diners. In fact, their website wasn't updated last time I looked.

As for new places, I recently went to Vix and enjoyed it. It's supposed to be "food from the spice trail, something Marco Polo may have run into, blah, blah, blah." I ran into the chef at my favorite dim-sum place (in the kitchen observing the cooks with a videocamera) so when the waiter gave me the spiel about how the chef has influences from "China, India, Malaysia..." I chimed in with "...and Bird Road". He didn't find it amusing. It's a scene but the food is unlike any other you'll find in Miami so it may be worth a try. Thursday is the biggest scene night so you may want to either avoid it or be attracted to it, depending on your style.

There's also Sugo at the Sanctuary near Casa Tua I believe. I haven't been but it's from the group that had Mezzanotte so you can draw your conclusions from that as to whether or not to go. If you haven't been to Mark's there's a 4-course prix fixe special through the summer. It changes daily so you can call first to see if it's appetizing. Also Azul has a new chef and he's changed the menu around. I'm curious to see what he's done. There's Atrio at the Conrad hotel. I haven't heard good things, but that may have been early opening kinks.

That's about it for new places that are on my list. I'm waiting for the condo-hotel on Ocean to finally finish so Table 8 can open (thought that's a couple of years away).

• 2 weeks later...
I know what you mean.  Considering how professional the operation seemed to be when I visited OLA they should've made some attempt to contact diners.  In fact, their website wasn't updated last time I looked.

As for new places, I recently went to Vix and enjoyed it.  It's supposed to be "food from the spice trail, something Marco Polo may have run into, blah, blah, blah." I ran into the chef at my favorite dim-sum place (in the kitchen observing the cooks with a videocamera) so when the waiter gave me the spiel about how the chef has influences from "China, India, Malaysia..." I chimed in with "...and Bird Road".  He didn't find it amusing.  It's a scene but the food is unlike any other you'll find in Miami so it may be worth a try.  Thursday is the biggest scene night so you may want to either avoid it or be attracted to it, depending on your style.

There's also Sugo at the Sanctuary near Casa Tua I believe.  I haven't been but it's from the group that had Mezzanotte so you can draw your conclusions from that as to whether or not to go.  If you haven't been to  Mark's there's a 4-course prix fixe special through the summer.  It changes daily so you can call first to see if it's appetizing.  Also Azul has a new chef and he's changed the menu around.  I'm curious to see what he's done.  There's Atrio at the Conrad hotel.  I haven't heard good things, but that may have been early opening kinks.

That's about it for new places that are on my list.  I'm waiting for the condo-hotel on Ocean to finally finish so Table 8 can open (thought that's a couple of years away).

Sorry but I didn't get to any of the new places you mentioned. This was a trip where - unfortunately - business and family issues/problems - came first and food was second. We did try a new Ethiopian restaurant in the Design District (Sheba). And it was quite good. Not terribly expensive (not cheap either). I recommend giving it a try. For those people reading this thread who aren't familiar with Miami - this isn't a particularly wonderful neighborhood at night. It is supposed to be one of the new hot development areas in Miami - but it is a work in progress as far as I'm concerned. Still - the restaurant had really good food. Robyn

I know what you mean.  Considering how professional the operation seemed to be when I visited OLA they should've made some attempt to contact diners.  In fact, their website wasn't updated last time I looked.

As for new places, I recently went to Vix and enjoyed it.  It's supposed to be "food from the spice trail, something Marco Polo may have run into, blah, blah, blah." I ran into the chef at my favorite dim-sum place (in the kitchen observing the cooks with a videocamera) so when the waiter gave me the spiel about how the chef has influences from "China, India, Malaysia..." I chimed in with "...and Bird Road".  He didn't find it amusing.  It's a scene but the food is unlike any other you'll find in Miami so it may be worth a try.  Thursday is the biggest scene night so you may want to either avoid it or be attracted to it, depending on your style.

There's also Sugo at the Sanctuary near Casa Tua I believe.  I haven't been but it's from the group that had Mezzanotte so you can draw your conclusions from that as to whether or not to go.  If you haven't been to  Mark's there's a 4-course prix fixe special through the summer.  It changes daily so you can call first to see if it's appetizing.  Also Azul has a new chef and he's changed the menu around.  I'm curious to see what he's done.  There's Atrio at the Conrad hotel.  I haven't heard good things, but that may have been early opening kinks.

That's about it for new places that are on my list.  I'm waiting for the condo-hotel on Ocean to finally finish so Table 8 can open (thought that's a couple of years away).

Sorry but I didn't get to any of the new places you mentioned. This was a trip where - unfortunately - business and family issues/problems - came first and food was second. We did try a new Ethiopian restaurant in the Design District (Sheba). And it was quite good. Not terribly expensive (not cheap either). I recommend giving it a try. For those people reading this thread who aren't familiar with Miami - this isn't a particularly wonderful neighborhood at night. It is supposed to be one of the new hot development areas in Miami - but it is a work in progress as far as I'm concerned. Still - the restaurant had really good food. Robyn

So some guys lose their shirt on a doomed restaurant, and all you can think of is that they should have called YOU? When? Right before they sold their house to pay off their debts? Or just before they threw the noose over the nearest joist? Seriously, though, I'm not defending their actions, but I'm sure they had a lot on their minds. And it's not as if you lost anything. As far as the Design District goes, I think you have painted an overly ominous picture of a place that is, yes, a work in progress, but is also very safe at night. There is less crime here than in South Beach-in fact, there are two thriving clubs right around the corner from Sheba. There are also plenty of other dining and drinking options that the locals all know about. The Design District and Wynwood are where the future of Miami is heading-even people from the beach come here to have a good time!

So some guys lose their shirt on a doomed restaurant, and all you can think of is that they should have called YOU?  When?  Right before they sold their house to pay off their debts?  Or just before they threw the noose over the nearest joist?  Seriously, though, I'm not defending their actions, but I'm sure they had a lot on their minds.  And it's not as if you lost anything.  As far as the Design District goes, I think you have painted an overly ominous picture of a place that is, yes, a work in progress, but is also very safe at night.  There is less crime here than in South Beach-in fact, there are two thriving clubs right around the corner from Sheba.  There are also plenty of other dining and drinking options that the locals all know about.  The Design District and Wynwood are where the future of Miami is heading-even people from the beach come here to have a good time!

Doug Rodriguez currently runs Ola Steak in Merrick Place - Deseo in Scottsdale AZ and Alma de Cuba in Philadelphia. He's a "celebrity chef" - complete with cookbooks. Here's his web site. When you call the phone number for Ola - you get a recording that tells you to make sure you make it for the "grand reopening" of the restaurant in South Beach. So this isn't a case of some poor shnook who lost his shirt. It's a case of an experienced "celebrity chef" simply dissing his customers IMO. I think I liked him better when he was simply the chef at YUCA 20 years ago.

I don't think I painted an overly ominous picture of the design district. Simply a cautious one (if I were overly ominous - I would have told people to avoid the place altogether). It is wise to be cautious in any inner city neighborhood in a large city - particularly when there are almost no people on the streets (and there weren't many here on a Sunday night at about 9 - the mileage on a "club night" like Saturday may vary). FWIW - I lived in Miami for 25 years - and the Design District has been "the future of Miami" for a long time. Robyn

With all due respect, and without trying to be argumentative, Miami's Design District is NOT in the 'inner city'! It is not even close! That's like saying NYC's Chelsea or DC's Adams Morgan is in the inner city. There are lots of great new places here, and in neighboring Wynwood as well. Your description was WAY off. I was in the Design District/Wynwood last night, and there were plenty of people out and about having fun-drinking wine, eating tapas, listening to music. This is where it's all happening in Miami-the no-stress alternative to South Beach.

As for Doug Rodriguez, I'll let him defend himself.

I've never been to one of Doug Rodriguez's restaurants, but the recipes I've made from his cookbook have been wonderful. For that reason alone, I will probably take an opportunity to go to one when I can!

Danny, how close are the Design District and Wynwood to South Beach? To downtown? I'm not very familiar with Miami. I've only been there three or four times, but we are thinking about spending a night or two there on our way to Key West around Christmas or New Years... if we go through with our Key West plans.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

I've never been to one of Doug Rodriguez's restaurants, but the recipes I've made from his cookbook have been wonderful.  For that reason alone, I will probably take an opportunity to go to one when I can!

Danny, how close are the Design District and Wynwood to South Beach?  To downtown?  I'm not very familiar with Miami.  I've only been there three or four times, but we are thinking about spending a night or two there on our way to Key West around Christmas or New Years... if we go through with our Key West plans.

The Design District/Wynwood is right over the Causeway (US 195) from South Beach, in the City of Miami. You get a nice view of the cruise ships and the Miami skyline from the bridge (it's actually really beautiful at night). The first exit after you cross Biscayne Bay is Biscayne Boulevard. When you exit, you are on NE 36th St. You cross Biscayne Blvd, and the DD starts at NE 36th and NE 2nd Ave, which is a block and a smidge west. Wynwood is south of 36th St, and west of N.Miami Ave (which divides the NE and NW quadrants). The distance from downtown, if you just go north on Biscayne Blvd. is a little less, maybe twelve minutes.

Design Disrict is fairly upscale, while Wynwood's art galleries and hangouts are a little more cutting edge. I definitely recommend either art-gallery walk-DD is 2nd Thursday (next week), and Wynwood is 2nd Saturday (also next week). ALL kinds of people flock to this area, including many artists and creative people (many of whom live here) to the beautiful people-to those just looking for an inexpensive wine bar/tapas joint with great music. And you'll often find them in the same place. I can't give recommendations for places to eat, because I own one, but there are several very good spots for dinner/nibbles/drinks. Definitely worth an evening, very different from South Beach (which I love, too, especially for...the beach!)

With all due respect, and without trying to be argumentative, Miami's Design District is NOT in the 'inner city'!  It is not even close!  That's like saying NYC's Chelsea or DC's Adams Morgan is in the inner city. There are lots of great new places here, and in neighboring Wynwood as well.  Your description was WAY off.  I was in the Design District/Wynwood last night, and there were plenty of people out and about having fun-drinking wine, eating tapas, listening to music.  This is where it's all happening in Miami-the no-stress alternative to South Beach.

As for Doug Rodriguez, I'll let him defend himself.

"Inner city" was perhaps too loose a term. Actually - it's in Little Haiti according to this City of Miami map.

I don't doubt that there are a lot of people around the clubs and restaurants on Friday and Saturday and art walk nights - but - like I said - on the Sunday when I dined there - the streets were almost empty. Also - like I said - the restaurant I dined at - Sheba - was quite good. Robyn