• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Pear Tree

taryn

Edited: Simultaneous post to Vancouver

They don't have a website per se, but their page on diningoutguide.com as noted above gives you all the information you need. Well worth the drive to Burnaby... it's one of our favourite restaurants.

Enjoy!

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

• 8 months later...

It comes as no big surprise that I've been a big fan of The Pear Tree since my first visit about a year after it opened. Ian and I are probably there every three to four months or so, especially since we converted my Aunt and Uncle to The Pear Tree converts as their go-to special-occasion restaurant.

It was our second visit back since the renovations had been completed, and Ian and I are both certainly impressed by the room’s clean lines and warm simplicity. Mind you, I'm clearly biased by my affection for the Jaegers' Wall 'O Wine. One of the new design details that I most appreciate is the inclusion of sound-absorbing soft surfaces. With front and back walls upholstered from banquette to ceiling and carpeted floors, the noise level is kept perfectly muffled and sets the stage for a relaxing dining experience.

The room was about half full when our group was seated; two tables left while Ian and I waited for the rest of the rabblerousers in our party to show up. I attribute the "lack of busyness" to the fact that our reservation was for 8:00 p.m.... a rather late hour for dining by Burnaby standards. Thank goodness for that, though, because it looked as though the rather conservative young couple sitting next to us were wholly mortified by the comments emanating from our group of heathens that was dining beside them. :shifty:

Service at The Pear Tree hovers on a level somewhere between, say, Cru and West: friendly, crisp, attentive and not too officious. Stephanie Jaeger does a superb job of running FOH.

Before dinner, Ian quaffed a Heineken and I sipped on a glass of Blue Mountain Sparkling.

LobsterCap.jpgTomatoSoup.jpgTerrine.jpg

Lobster Cappuccino with Dashi Custard and Fresh Atlantic Lobster Foam

Classic Flamed Tomato and Gin Soup

Duck Terrine served with Warm Brioche Toasts

What you can't see in the Lobster Cappuccino are the enormous chunks of sweet lobster meat waiting to surprise me at the bottom of the cup. Heavenly. And pictured in the foreground of the Terrine are toasts made with some of the best damn restaurant brioche that I've ever tasted. Outrageously light and sweet with a sprinkling of fleur de sel on top that enhances the bread’s sweetness.

LambShank.jpgHalibut.jpg

Tenderloin.jpgPeaShoots.jpg

Red-wine Braised Lamb Shank with Seared Scallops and Roasted Pear Risotto

Queen Charlotte Island (?) Halibut with Melted Leeks served on Smoked Ham Hock Risotto

Nicola Valley 'AAA' Beef Tenderloin with Stilton Polenta, Onion Confit, Wilted Spinach and a Cinzano Shallot Jus

Pea Shoots and Matchstick Pears

The Lamb Shank is probably my favourite thing on The Pear Tree's regular menu. It and the Beef Tenderloin are so brilliantly prepared that a knife is hardly needed to cut into the meat. Given the depth and boldness of these flavours however, I was pleasantly surprised by the lightness and subtlety of the halibut. The sous vide cooking process left the halibut achingly tender, moreso than any halibut I've ever tasted. Very deftly paired with the smoky creaminess of the ham hock risotto. Truly, a standout dish. Pea shoots and matchstick pears are almost indiscernibly dressed with a vinaigrette and served as an accompaniment for each main course. Wine pairing with the halibut was a bottle of Chateau de Sancerre, and the tenderloin and lamb were matched with a Feudi di San Gregorio Piano di Montegergine TaurasiDocg Riserva.

Brulee.jpgTeteDeMoine.jpg

Ganache.jpgLemonTart.jpg

Vanilla Bean Crème Brûlée crowned with a Brandy Snap (?)

Tête de Moîne Cheese served with Rosemary Pecan Crisps

Chocolate Ganache with Caramel Fleur de Sel Ice Cream

Lemon Tart topped with Crack Sugar

Missing here is a photo of Ian's serving of Stilton cheese as he took his first bite about three seconds after the plate was set down in front of him. The Crème Brûlée is, indeed, stellar: lush and smooth with flecks of vanilla-bean goodness a'plenty. We all groaned a collective groan as our tastes of the remarkably dense dark chocolate ganache melted in our mouths. However, the Caramel Fleur de Sel Ice Cream on the dessert menu was a bit of a miss for me; truthfully, it was an odd sort of good taste as the flavour of the fleur de sel was a bit too overpowering for my liking.

Once again, another excellent evening at The Pear Tree; the consistency of both front- and back-of-house crews never cease to impress me. With their sleek, elegant renovation, Scott and Stephanie Jaeger have successfully achieved what many have tried to accomplish and failed: making a good thing even better.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

I have to agree, Scott's lamb shank and, perhaps even moreso, the halibut sous vide, are outstanding - absolute must try's.

But the one dish that I believe is done better than anywhere else I've tried in Vancouver is the creme brulee. The custard was firm yet soft, very smooth and silky, the texture truly was "perfect". Vanilla flavour was well done without being overwhelming. And the brandy snap was an interesting piece of sugar art accompaniment. And let's not forget the ever elegant ground cherry. Seriously, if you love creme brulee like I do, go to the Pear Tree.

But the one dish that I believe is done better than anywhere else I've tried in Vancouver is the creme brulee.  The custard was firm yet soft, very smooth and silky, the texture truly was "perfect".  Vanilla flavour was well done without being overwhelming.  And the brandy snap was an interesting piece of sugar art accompaniment.  And let's not forget the ever elegant ground cherry.  Seriously, if you love creme brulee like I do, go to the Pear Tree.

I agree with Brian here. The creme brulee at Pear Tree is a real treat. In fact after learning how to make it from cooking class (nwcav) I tried to reproduce this delectible dessert without success. I've only been to Pear Tree twice but it's about time to give them another visit. Such a small space but such good food!

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

I was lucky enough to join Moosh for the dine-out dinner and it was my first time at the Pear Tree. The room is beautifully understated and comfortable - really nice. But the main event was the food - and the food at the Pear Tree is very good indeed.

I started with the lobster cap - extremely rich and the lobster was just cooked through. My tenderloin was perfectly cooked and tender. The dessert was also very good - and I enjoyed the fleur de sel ice cream.

Overall - Scott Jaeger's cooking is in the realm of Feenie and Hawksworth IMHO. Technically perfect and well presented. This place is a real gem and deserves more attention then it currently gets - should be in the top 5 of anyone's list.

My only minor complaint was that it was all so serious - almost to the point of solemn. All the dishes were deeply flavored and expertly executed - but there needs a brightness or spark to really lift the flavors to the next level. I know people who know Scott - and they say that he takes cooking very very seriously - and it shows.

A small dose of Aurora style wit and experimentation would have been gone a long way.

That being said - I really enjoyed my first Pear Tree meal. Stepanie Jaeger really does a great job making sure the FOH runs smoothly. She checked in on us over the meal a couple of times - a really warm and friendly hostess. Looking forward to additonal visits.

your so serious and "point of solemn" need to be balanced by the FOH ... also my complaint at the Pear Tree. ...consistently firing on all cylinders from the kitchen, a great reno'd room and solid wine list could all benefit from more friendly (even humorous) interaction from FOH to balance the perfect stoic of the package. If Stephanie found that magic ingredient ( on and off the court ) The Pear Tree deserve and SHOULD win restaurant of the year regardless of the local. They have the strength in delivery in a gutsy location before anyone else had the balls to do so...with Vancouver's shortest menu that says " this is what we do ...take it or leave it."

Balls.